1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6 Infotainment Upgradable with Carplay?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bb4srv, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hard to say. I don't think it's that CarPlay is tied to Entune per se, but that a hardware revision in the head unit is tied to a version of Entune, and if it's not 3.0, it can't run CarPlay. I could be wrong.

An analogy would be an operating system update that was only available to certain computers that had sufficiently "new" components -- CPU, graphics card, whatever. If an OS update includes a new feature, hardware "too old" can't run it and thus won't get the new feature.

That said, I've not heard what significant difference there is in the 2017-19 units and the 2020 unit in terms of the hardware. If there is none, then everything saying "it can't be done" is an excuse. Maybe a good excuse, maybe not, but still an excuse.

2. Vinayak Govande

Vinayak Govande Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are there any updates to this thread? I am impressed with Apple Car Play and wanted to add it to my Prius 2018 with 11.6 inches large screen? Thanks in advance for any updates.

Igor331 likes this.
  3. Igor331

Igor331 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    11.6 heandunit memory is encrypted, and XM box link too. I think it will a big deal to crack it.

I'm develop android based interface with oem touchscreen control, if all will be fine, will sale.

Attached Files:

#43 Igor331, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Cark and Darien Day like this.
  4. Levi & Sandra Smith

Levi & Sandra Smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I’m interested in your solution. Let me know when ready.

5. Starshinepunk

Starshinepunk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does anyone know if some aftermarket stand alone devices can be used for CarPlay? Kind of like Garmin for Nav or satellite radio companies?

6. Starshinepunk

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Found one

Car and Driver INTELLIDASH PRO Wireless Apple Carplay ONLY 7'' IPS Touchscreen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM, Siri Assistant. Dash Windshield Mounted

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like it gets mostly good reviews, but WOW!! $400 for a screen size increase of 0.9" over my current iPhone 13 Ppro or only 0.1" bigger than my previous iPhone 11 Pro Max. I take it you have a pretty small phone? Otherwise, a simple dash mount or windshield mount would be a whole lot cheaper.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering... for those states that prohibit the use of cell phones or texting while driving, is it legal to use a CarPlay on a phone mounted on the dash or even using on a device like the one in #46?

Then again, if that is not allowed, then I don't know how today's automakers led by Tesla, get away with a touchscreen panel to operate everything in the car??? Any legal expert here?

9. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Voice commands.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that really what everyone does? I have not yet found a single device, Android, iPhone, Amazon echo, Garmin, or any make of car that voice command worked well enough such that I did not have to use my finger. I have not even tried voice command single time on my current 2021 PP since my purchase.

And my question is not how one should use such a device, but rather does using a touchscreen device be that part of a car or mounted on the dash with your finger while driving a car violates a law in the state which prohibits the use of phone or texting while driving? My state happens to have such a law, but I have never studied it in depth. Seeing the proliferation of all kinds of mind distracting devices and features on modern cars, I think not... but I am just wondering what the law says.

11. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use it to dial numbers I don’t have in my contacts. Maybe once a year. I also use it to reply to text messages. That works quite well but that’s Siri. I think having voice commands available good or bad let’s the manufactures bypass and laws/restrictions against using smart devices while in motion. That was the point I was replying to.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. That means all cars with smart devices built-in now have the voice command capability? You might be right. But still, that does not answer my question. If I don't use voice commands and use my finger on the touch screen while driving my car, am I in violation of the law?

13. Starshinepunk

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    that was only the first I found. There’s many other options for less than $200. But considering some people were considering the only other option to be replacing the entire head unit I figured this might be a better alternative and wondered if anyone else had considered it so I did some research.

Also, I don’t know about anyone else but I had an iPhone 13 Pro and I can’t activate CarPlay without being able to connect to the car and using the phone mounted on the dash as is kind of defeats the purpose of CarPlay anyway because the features aren’t as car intuitive as I understand so I don’t see why the size of the unit matters as much as the functionality. Especially since most vehicles running car play or AA have a head unit smaller than most recent models of cell phones.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And that's largely why I don't see the whole point of Car Play or AA.

15. Starshinepunk

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe it’s because CarPlay and AA make the apps easier to use while driving with less distraction and less “eyes off the road” time than using your phone as is. I.E. more “car intuitive” and functional.

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WIRELESS carplay/aa means you automatically have your phone on (usually) a much larger screen that’s within easy reach and viewing while driving and its LEGAL. Not needing to take it out of my pocket every single time I want it or get into the car? Priceless.

Also, google/Apple/waze Maps are MUCH better at navigation than nearly any OEM app.

I specifically bought a Prime PLUS and immediately installed a cheap, aftermarket double-DIN radio with wireless carplay to avoid all the limitations of the advance model including no volume knob.

FWIW

Starshinepunk and jerrymildred like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which is why I have a phone mount on my dash that puts the phone way closer to my line of sight than the car's built in display. For calls, the phone is bluetooth connected to the car's sound system and dialing is just a "Hey Siri" away. Totally hands free, close to my line of sight (like my Garmin), and very legal. Vastly superior to fumbling around a kludgy system that's almost half way to the floor from the windshield.

18. Cark

Cark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m interested too!

19. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this the older one with entune 2.0 (2017-2019)? I think the newer one with entune 3.0 has carplay and you can buy an adapter to make android auto work too. They're both 11.6" so hard to distinguish based on size

20. Igor331

Igor331 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I make HDMI input with natine 1080p tesolution. It also support 2 AV inputs for side cameras.

Attached Files: