1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6" Navigation update / Entune 3.0

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FRCornelis, Apr 30, 2022.

1. FRCornelis

FRCornelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I'm asking for the 11.6" Premium JBL with navigation system available in Limited and Prime.
    How does Toyota handle the map updates for built-in navigation?

Coming from GM, where you can order an USB stick for your model on their website, I couldn't find anything for Toyota, does this warrant a trip to the dealership?
    I understand Entune 3.0 has been killed but yet Toyota ships 2022 models with that feature on the screen/menu which is dead out of the box, and they know it, they still show the option for it when they know it won't work anymore, I will be using Carplay anyways over Entune projection but still bothers me seeing that option on the menu structure, it will be better if Toyota replaces that with something else like a shortcut menu option or something that you can actually use. Does Toyota ever update the Infotainment features/menus?

Also, do I have any hope updating the built-in navigation system on my 2015 Prius Three which can really use an update? (no phone projection available on this one) so map update would be really helpful.

Thank you!
    -FC

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I also have the 11.6" nav screen, very Tesla-like and almost proprietary to an iPhone IOS way of doing things. If I have my Toyota app on in my Android device, it "connects" to the car and I get prompted to install this Entune 3.0 update. I can run the update and it adds a Yelp app and some other app that I can't quite make out for screen icon limitations. Something to do with a Toyota + Alexa arrangement I think. Not impressed by all of this, but with nothing better to compare it to I feel I'm not missing much. The car after all is for driving, not keeping up with your Facebook feed or other useless distractions. The latest Toyota app for Android update appears to have broken my subscriptions. I have the OEM Safety Connect and paid for another year already, and the app knows this but still says a subscription has expired. Useless crap.

3. FRCornelis

FRCornelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Personally think the screen looks better than those in Tesla, I never liked the Tesla style dash and how the screen is added in the last minute with epoxy!

Useless crap APP indeed, I first thought ENTUNE App got replaced with the new Toyota APP, no big deal.
    Funny, I also get the error message “subscription expired” for the Safety Connect, it looks like the APP is somehow broken, if I click on Renew Subscription, I get the trial status information showing “Active” with expiration date of April, 2025 and yet… the app prompts me for $8 /mo. or $80/yr. so yeah, the APP is buggy.
    Yes, it’s a car and meant to be driven, not for Netflix or social media, I get that part and with CarPlay you don’t really need ENTUNE, however I wish Toyota would be a bit more consistent with the interface and the features that you are getting or not getting in this case, you get farther than I do, when trying to access the ENTUNE suite app on the dash, I get a message asking me to disable CarPlay first, which I do, then it will just hang on the screen under the ENTUNE section without showing any icons, nor any update request even with the Toyota APP running on my phone, I believe you got the update because you used the actual ENTUNE app last year which is not available anymore. If I open the ENTUNE app now I get a message “everything is moved to the new Toyota APP” which is not the case.

Getting used to the all screen interface and the few capacitive buttons (without knobs and climate control buttons) takes a bit, but doable, the screen being flushed to the dash reflects very poorly so during sunlight it’s a bit hard to read, again doable as you can have the majority of the information right on the MID or even in the HUD for navigation plus I believe it will improve once I apply tint to the windows. All this is not a deal breaker for me, I love the car, but it would be nice if Toyota updates the Infotainment system making better use of the screen real state while enhancing user interface as I believe the screen has much more potential.

Now the unforgible: NO Android auto support, come on Toyota! You can get that on lower trims (LE, XLE) with the 7” screen. This doesn’t bother me being an Apple user but it’s just wrong.

Now the worst: NO REMOTE CONNECT???? You would think that getting the highest trim, you are getting the same features from the lower trims…. WRONG, Remote Connect / WiFi is not available on the Limited, even the Corolla Hybrid has it and it’s available on LE, XLE Prius… I learned this after buying the car when the salesperson asked me to download the app and register my vehicle.
    Anyways, this is my rant on the Infotainment, which is otherwise great, ten JBL speakers sound awesome but no without shortcomings.
    Now my question still standing: how do you get the built-in map updates? If anyone with previous year/same system was able to do it and would like to share some tips.

Cheers!
    -FC

AzWxGuy likes this.
  4. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The map updates are on micro SD cards sold by the dealership. They're usually released once a year in the fall. On my 2022 XLE Prime the map info is from April 2021. It only updates the maps, not the janky radio and apps. Those usually update with OTAs.

5. FRCornelis

FRCornelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Got it. I figure my 2022 is the most current one like yours.
    Now, I couldn't find an SD card slot, but then then again, I have the regular Limited not the Prime, perhaps is different on my trim.

-FC

6. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The SD slot in the 11" display is under it along the bottom

7. FRCornelis

FRCornelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh! I didn't know that. I just went check and yes indeed, there's a door on the bottom for SD Slot (empty) that's nice to know.
    You mentioned radio updates / apps are updated via OTAs, does this appy to our models w/out 4G/LTE WiFi?
    I figuered there should be some sort of celular connectivity in order for Safety Connect to work.
    Also I wonder where all the traffic and weather updates come from.

-FC

8. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I update mine via download from Toyota website onto a USB

9. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think it does it over HD Radio and/or phone pairing (if you have the toyota app open while connected via bluetooth). So far it's removed a couple of things, added Alexa and changed Slacker Radio to Live x Live. Had those updates on my 2016 Prius Four with the 7" display, and on my 2022 Prime with 11" display without replacing the maps SD card. When I did buy a newer SD card for my 2016 Prius it didn't change the radio or anything else, just the maps version. For US spec vehicles it's an encrypted SD card so you can't just download and update onto any old SD card, you have to get it from Toyota. I got mine off ebay and it seemed to work but I've seen folks who got ripped off. And they're like $100. The maps are already out of date by the time they start selling them and I never liked the onboard map.

Safety Connect seems to just be for the SOS button on the ceiling. I'm not exactly sure what services are available on the regular prius. On the Prime with the 11" display you don't get the wifi hotspot and other services... just the SOS thing. But a few telemetrics do go through that for the Toyota app (really only good for remote climate and seeing current EV charge). The Entune app had more features for earlier Primes. My 2016 Prius Four didn't seem to have much compatibility even with the entune app. I guess I could search an address on my phone and send it to the car navigation.

There are a few devices you can get online that'll trick your 11" display into doing wireless Carplay if you have an iphone. There are other ones, a little more expensive, that trick the system into thinking it's an iphone and it'll run Android Auto wirelessly. I use one. The software has some quirks but some offer OTA updates, others you can download updates and load them onto the boxes. Here's the one I have but there are a number of them out there:

10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Someone asked about the SD card location in the 2022 Prime a month ot two ago. I took a pic of where it is on my 2017 and uploaded it. But others posted that the 2022 Prime doesn't have a SD card.

Can you post a pic of where the SD card is on the 2022 ?
    Or if it's all being done updated wirelessly in 2022 ?

11. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I don't have a photo, sorry. It's on the bottom underside of the big screen for 2022 XLE and Limited

The LE doesn't have navigation installed and won't have an SD card. The smaller head unit has apple carplay and Android auto. You plug into the USB to get navigation from your phone in your screen

vvillovv likes this.
  12. RobInBurke

RobInBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2018 Prius Four with the 11.6" screen like others on this thread and want to update the map. Toyota parts websites indicate that I need microSD part number 86271-0E073. I bought that, but when I insert it into the slot and turn the car on, I get the message, "Unable to read the map SD data. Check the map SD. If necessary consult your dealer." So, I went to the dealer, and after some research they concluded that I had the wrong card. What I need is actually part number 86271-HDD0719. That part actually provides an ACN which authorizes the download of the map software. The dealer wants $169 for the part, and $110 for the installation.

Paul, I suspect this is essentially what you did. Can you please expand on how you updated your maps? Did you need to purchase the ACN number? Is that on microSD or USB? Which Toyota website did you download from?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s been a while since Toyota posted a new version of their Navigation Map application chart (PDF), but it makes clear that 86271-HDD07-18—and its successor, 86271-HDD07-19—are for the Generation 7 navigation systems used on older vehicles. I’d be very surprised if this part works with your car.

As you discovered, there are two versions of the maps for the Generation 8 navigation systems in fourth-generation Prius and Prius Prime cars. Systems with 7-inch displays, made by Panasonic, use the 86271-0E074 card (formerly 86271-0E073, -0E072, etc.), and systems with 11.6-inch displays, made by Denso, use the 86271-GN8PR-21 card (formerly 86271-GN8PR-20, -GN8PR-19, etc.). I’m not sure why Toyota listed the latter only under Prius Prime in their chart. Neither of these cards requires an ACN.

dkenglish7 likes this.
  14. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    On my gen4 it’s by usb. Later gen4 post 2020 YOP it’s an over the air update.
    I have a subscription active and it does create an ACN specific to the hardware ID.

15. RobInBurke

RobInBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's very helpful information and a great resource. I will look for 86271-GN8PR-21. Thanks so much!

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  16. RobInBurke

RobInBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Paul! I hadn't realized initially you had a 2022 Prius.