1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6 screen scratch

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Russ Bohn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Russ Bohn

Russ Bohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Rapidly getting into the car from a monshoon, I must have raked the 11.6 inch screen with part of the umbrella.

There is about a 4 inch curved scratch. The display must have a plastic, not glass screen? Scratch is cosmetic and does not affect the display.

Is there a way to "buff out the scratch". (note at times my general repair jobs make things worse!)

2. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

ok, if it's plastic (polycarbonate) screen with a non-scratch coating on it you can use armor-etch to remove the non-scratch coating and hopefully if the scratch isn't through to the polycarbonate you're good to go.

I've used this to rejuvenate glasses that have had the non-scratch coating all scratched to hell (yeah, go figure). the Armor-Etch removes the coating and leaves behind the polycarbonate and for all intents and purposes a new-looking pair of lenses. It's a very time consuming and PITA thing to do you have to rub continuously and over the entire surface but eventually it comes off.

You should protect the non-display areas however as i'm sure you'll scratch the crap out of them when buffing.

However, if it was indeed a glass surface, or glass with a coating on it that got damaged (polarizer) then you'll totally F-UP the display.

I'd only ever do this if I was going to replace it if my fix failed... by attempting it you have at least a chance at fixing it, but realize you can make it a lot worse (heck even removing the polarization coating may make things really bad).

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't tried it in the Prime but those glass screen protectors have an adhesive on the back that fills scratches and makes them invisible on other devices I've tried.

EyePrime likes this.
  4. gene

gene Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For anyone else who is looking to deal with a scratch on the 11.6in Screen, I was able to clear up a pretty deep annoying scratch with an eraser. Rubber eraser works best, and make sure it is clean. Rub across the scratch and it may fill/buff it out. Pro tip: make sure the eraser is clean.

I didn’t have a large rubber eraser handy, and used a pencil eraser which worked, but I ended up putting some micro scratches into the screen likely either due to something left over from the scratch or graphite on the pencil eraser. Those are MUCH less noticeable than the giant scratch across 1/3rd of the screen, and I’m pretty sure a screen protector will cover those up (they are only not able when the screen is off so no biggie).