1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11 inch screen in Advanced is rebooting at an alarming rate

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Dmitriy Sokol, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ctscoob

ctscoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This week out of the blue, my ‘20 Limited’s screen suddenly started rebooting. The only thing that changed was the iOS update this week. I think it must have done something to the bluetooth connection to make it less stable. I deleted my iPhone from my the radio and unpaired my phone, then reconnected my bluetooth from scratch. The screen didn’t reboot this last trip I took. Hopefully this has resolved the issue.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I upgraded iOS and my phone without issues. 2018 Advanced.
    Upgrading the phone required pairing the new device. I also deleted to old iPhone.

Bob Comer likes this.
  3. Pedritho

Pedritho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys, first time poster but long time lurker. This has been happening to my Prius quite a bit. It happened a while back and did it for about 10 mins then was normal. A few months pass by, and then it does it again. This time though, it’s consistent and I can’t figure out a rhyme or reason. I’ve brought it to the dealer several times and they were never able to replicate the issue or diagnose it properly. I literally just drove across town for 10 minutes and it kept rebooting the entire trip. At first it was an annoyance, but now it’s definitely a safety a safety concern.

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do you have a phone attached, or are you using Bluetooth with a phone? Details of what's connected helps us all to determine what might be causing the reboots. Phone, version and OS version would also be helpful.

5. ctscoob

ctscoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Try turning off bluetooth on your phone for a few days and see if that fixes it. From what I’ve read, it seems like that’s a common denominator with the screen rebooting issue.

6. Roeark

Roeark New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Did it fix it? Cause mine does NOT like my Iphone 7+ and it's getting annoying.

7. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This has nothing to do with phone connections. There is something wrong. I haven't taken mine in yet but am expecting a long ordeal. I had a 2017 Advanced where I had a phone connected via bluetooth for 8 months. I got rid of that car for a Honda Clarity because it started to give the sensor error all the time & the screen reboot started after 7 months at an increasing rate. First 7 months it never reboot then the last month it did 4 times. I found an amazing deal on a Honda so I got rid of the 2017. The Honda range sucked since I can't plug it in on my daily commute so I got a 2020 Limited. Since the first week the screen reboots every other day & sometimes many times in an hour. I never bothered syncing my phone to bluetooth on the 2020 since I found they killed the apps after my purchase. So this is an issue with the car. On my 2020 I'm going to be firm on this being an issue that I want resolved. On a side note they finally stop calling the 2020 the most Advanced Prius yet? And if not any other Limited owners want to go in on a class action lawsuit at the death of the Advanced apps? Not kidding about that last part. I can't tell you as a former Prime owner that had those what a pathetic joke that was for Toyota to pull on us.

Toyo_Tom likes this.
  8. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Yes the reboots have disappeared after the head unit replacement.

Bob Comer likes this.
  9. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has not rebooted for a while. Time will tell.

10. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have nowhere with Toyota on this problem. Would you be able to check with your dealer to see if there is a Toyota case opened for your problem the rest of us could reference with our local dealers? That might greatly help the rest of us that are experiencing this issue.

garglo likes this.
  11. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    finally I have experienced this wonderful "feature" of the 11.5" touchscreen system. I turned the car on and had just started driving, maybe about 150' or so, and then it suddenly rebooted. I had it tuned to an FM station, and I was not connected to Bluetooth. Although I normally have it connected by Bluetooth to my work iPhone for phone, and my personal Android phone for media, I did not have my work phone with me and my personal phone was in the car but connected to a set of Bluetooth headphones that I had left connected but wasn't currently using. Maybe the car tried to connect to my personal phone but couldn't due to the headphones being connected?
    Frustrating!

12. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Still no rebooting since my last post in December. I have an appointment with the dealer this week. I will ask them if they have heard anything.

13. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    M8neis still rebooting weekly. In the first 10000 miles it's reboot over 100 times. Sometimes multiple times a day. Other days it never reboots. I've called Toyota customer service, emailed their customer service, and had my local dealership look at it. Customer service always tells me my local dealership will need too look at it. My local dealership can't recreate it so doesn't seem to be able to help. I have videos of it rebooting while driving and yet cannot get anywhere with Toyota. I'm desperate for anyone who has actually got a screen swap to please ask if there was any case number they can get from their dealership as a reference here. This is crazy to me that Toyota is ignoring this issue. I had a jeep once under warranty with a rattle/scratch noise rarely. I took a video of that &they had my car for 10 days before they found a screw in the spare tire came off & scratched my rim of the spare. They put in countless hours & it cost me nothing. So this type of response from Toyota is just so damn annoying.

14. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sadly I think you will find that Toyota really doesn't care about something they didn't put a lot of effort in. The 11.5" screen seems to be put in as a novelty and not as a serious thought. This problem has been going on since the 11.5" screen was added, they have made very little effort into improving it or adding features, and as many have noted, taking features out and adding Apple Car Play is about all they have done.

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer did look at my display last month when the car was in for service. They checked the unit's software/firmware and determined that it was the current version. They checked my phone's software and it was the most recent version. They restarted the display and it did some form of update. The display seems much better as far as reboots. I had a several hour trip to Maine (before the lockdown) and did not have any rebooting. We will see. Like most others, I have not been driving the car much recently.

16. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I spent a lot of time on the phone with Toyota this morning. There was a new update April 1 that they said may help the problem. They were not sure. But I learned that Toyota requires a technician to recreate the issue before they would replace the unit. This afternoon I go in for the update. Because of covid19 I am driving less but will make a point to put on 100 miles this week to see if it reboots. If it does I'll just drop the car off at the dealership & let them keep it until the see the issue in person. Videos of the issue are not enough I was told. I also found this workflow to be the way to get their attention if you have an inattentive service department.
    1. Report the issue &take the car to the dealership.
    2. Report ongoing issues to Toyota & let them find the report from step 1.
    3. Get a case manager from Toyota to work with the dealership.
    4. Continue to take the vehicle to the dealership as needed.
    5. Leave the car with the dealership and remember your mileage at drop off.

They should be able to see the issue in 10 days at the longest I am guessing. Since I see this issue that often at least. And usually in 5 miles of driving. So hopefully the dealership drivers it around. I also learned case numbers are really only specific to the client.

I may not believe everything I "learned" today but will update this accordingly. Finally a positive thing from covid19 for those of us working from home with access to a second vehicle? Just drop the car off & let the dealership see the issue for themselves.

17. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had re-booting problem on my 2017 PRIME Premium 11.6" screen during the 2.5 years/40K miles of ownership. But, I had the display turned off most of the time anyway. The dysfunctional head unit was more of annoyance and did not add any value for me. I am so happy that I swapped my 2017 Prime Premium with 2020 Prime LE with smaller yet far more usable 6" screen. It is so much better.

#137 Salamander_King, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Happy as a clam with NO screen here.

19. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    it just seems to happen randomly, it doesn't matter what I'm listening to, or which phone is connected by Bluetooth, or no Bluetooth connection at all, USB plugged in or not, it will still just randomly occur.

20. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did that fix it?

I had a couple reboots (1 per drive) back in July/August, but then 0 reboots in fall, winter, until today. Today it started rebooting nonstop. I've got nothing plugged in and I disconnected the bluetooth on the phone. No changes. No phone updates. It's not even that hot yet (mid 80's).

Edit: I got back in the car later last night to mess with it and I think it ended up spazzing out and resetting itself on its own because I had to re-add my phone, change the view settings back to where I liked them and the entune apps (I heart radio or whatever it was) are no longer installed on it. But I think that might have cleared the rebooting bug for now. Gonna take a long drive today to drop some things off at work, so I'll update if it's still rebooting.

#140 mistermojorizin, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020