1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11 inch screen in Advanced is rebooting at an alarming rate

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Dmitriy Sokol, Feb 4, 2017.

1. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For those of you still experiencing intermittent reboots with the infotainment system, a new software update has been found that lists fixes for rebooting and other issues. More info here: Software update from Feb 2020? | PriusChat

mistermojorizin likes this.
  2. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    See: Information screen reset | PriusChat

My 2017 Prime Advanced exhibited this problem a few times but it has not occurred since the dealer installed the update described in Elektroingenieur's January 2018 post referenced above.

My dealership's service department had no problem finding and installing the referenced update. This was done in August 2018. I do not think this is something you can do on your own and I doubt that it is applicable to model years later than 2017 or 2018. (i.e., I would expect any fixes were incorporated into later versions of the software.)

3. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The new update from February 2020 applies to 2017-2020 Prius Prime with 11.6" display and incorporates the fixes from the update you described above, plus the following additional fixes:

Intermittently Rebooting
    Intermittent screen flashing
    Intermittent screen going blank
    Abnormal phone touch tone operation during Apple CarPlay®
    (if equipped)
    Sound settings intermittently reset
    Unable to switch audio modes

Fortunately for out of warranty cars, Toyota has provided the update available for download as seen in the thread I linked to above, so you can install it yourself without the dealer.

4. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The May software update that specifically mentions this problem didn't work for me. I've had my car in twice since I got the update. Once they kept the car a week since they keep saying they need to see the issue to triage it further. I guess the videos I've taken of this aren't good enough for some reason. The last time I took it in the did a factory reset so all my customizations were wiped out & all my phones were removed. So I decided to not setup any phone since that last visit. Today it reboot again. So I get to make more calls take more trips to the dealer to address what has to be a bad unit. This is pretty far from the initial prius experience i had 12 years ago. At this point I don't know what to do other than complain here online. If this ever gets resolved I'll gladly post that update but it can go weeks without rebooting these days with the minimal travel I'm doing thanks to covid. This might be my last Toyota since it's feeling way too familiar to my last Hyundai experience.

bisco likes this.
  5. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry to hear about the issues. I hope Toyota can get it resolved for you. I'm curious to know what version information is shown on the display. Maybe it will help to narrow down which versions still have issues. You can check the version by pressing Menu->Settings->General->Software update->Update

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it's industry wide? I'm VERY sceptical of touch-screen controls, suspect the main reason the automotive manufacturers are drawn to them is cost/convenience. They are a distraction when driving, and can pretty much brick a car (or a kitchen range, or microwave, or dryer, and so on), due to the replacement cost.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 years ago, toyota infotainment tech wasn't stuck in the dark ages, just the 17th century

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our first car didn't even have a radio. Our kids acquired a little portable radio, turned it on in the back seat, and it was that infamous stripper theme song. Those were the days.

upload_2020-6-19_17-9-15.png

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The good thing was that our touchscreen on the 2005 was the most reliable so our experience has been positive. My 2010 was fine (the issue was the CD changer and not the screen itself).

Both the 2016 and 2018 with the 7” and 11.6” screens have rebooted on their own.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The spacex crew dragon spacecraft is all touchscreen. I’m sure it was to reduce cost. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As far as I can tell, the recent software update isn't available for the 2020 Limited. I get an error when trying to install it from the download provided in the link in another thread here. I asked my dealer about it and was told that there isn't any update for the 2020 Limited, and when I then asked Toyota about it, they told me the link download does contain the correct file and if the installation isn't working then there isn't any download available.

12. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Sorry I haven't checked this site for a long time now. It sucks to see people are still having the reboot issue. My Toyota repair order is 1106032 if it helps. I took some videos for the dealer for proof and I had a really cool service person helping me also. They replaced the head unit and all is well now.

I think my headunit Model ID is: 16TABDNA-AA01

#152 tchan2700, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    jerrymildred and schja01 like this.
  13. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks I hope this helps the dealer. They installed the update for me not OTA. And they have had my car the last 5 days. They called to let me know nothing is wrong & can't recreate & Toyota won't replace the unit unless they can recreate it blah blah blah. My videos aren't good enough for them I guess. I called Toyota & let them know I want the unit replaced & said of they can't do that I'm dumping this car & Toyotas going forward. When they call me later today I'll give them this order number & see if it helps them at all. Just out of curiosity did replacing your head unit fix this issue for you or does it still reboot? If replacing the head unit won't fix this I'll know my next course of action.

14. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

It has not rebooted since the HU was replaced.

15. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's great news! After a week of having the car at the dealer again I went to pick it up. They couldn't recreate it so I was frustrated. I decided to record driving it off their lot and before my long sigh of frustration was done it rebooted! I drove it pretty aggressively back to the dealer. They finally ordered me a replacement headunit. I'm still waiting for it to get delivered to the dealership. But after months of having it in & out of the dealership at least they are finally addressing this issue for me. After I get the new headunit in I'll post an update.

this was the video that finally got my headunit replaced. 36 seconds in is the reboot.

16. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Attached Files:

#156 illumiN8i, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    schja01 likes this.
  17. Michael Silbert

Michael Silbert New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My HU was replaced because after I complained about 3 - 4 times about random reboots, they said it refused to update. Well guess what: the new HU still reboots plenty! This car sucks!

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for that, that's why i'm still driving my pip (y)

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine rebooted suddenly yesterday without warning.

20. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I haven't driven much but since the new headunit was installed there has been no reboot. It's been about a month. The first couple of weeks I didn't setup a phone since I wanted a clean test of the unit only. I'll update this if it reboots again in the future. Oddly enough since getting it back the rear cross traffic alert noise isn't working. So I guess the sensors are the next problem?

Anyone else remember the feel of quality when you went from g2 to g3 in 2010? I miss those days.