1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'11 P0AFC-123, C1259, C1310-Need Advice please

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jerry G., Jan 28, 2022.

1. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aloha all,
    Last week I replaced the front brake pads and wham, I get the Triangle of death. Really, WTH??
    This is what I did to diagnose:
    1) Ran Techstream, got P0AFC-123 on Hybrid system, ABS/TCS got C1214, C1259, C1310.
    a) Was able to reset C1214, would not reset C1259 and C1310.
    2) Checked Hybrid battery connections and Battery ECU-Found lower 4 pins badly corroded on ECU, carefully cleaned them, put dielectric on pins and connector and thought I was going to post a fixit, but, still no go.
    3) Pulled battery and all connection rails, and went through and cleaned everything shiny. Checked sensor tabs and leads-all ok. Checked individual cells, all within spec. Reassembled with dielectric.
    a) Previous Techstream report said cells were at 15.6-15.7v before cleaning. Now its showing 16.4v on all blocks except 1 & 2.
    4) Noted Block 1 showing 0v, Block 2, 24.98v, Block 3-14 were all 16.4v.
    5) Tried resetting DTC, Triangle immediately came back on.

Car runs on engine, no Hybrid help. I thought if a Battery ECU was bad, it wouldn't show battery voltages, health, etc?
    I ordered a replacement Battery ECU for GP.

I tried uploading the Techstream file but got an error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped on this one. Guess you can't just replace brake pads without a catastrophe on these cars?

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes different things really do happen at the same time.

The C1259 and C1310 are codes from your brake ECU, but those codes only mean "há Ži, I'm the brake ECU, and I'm passing along a message from the power management control ECU that it has trouble codes." So it isn't a brake issue per se, and it wasn't caused by the work you did on the brakes.

The power management control ECU code was the P0AFC. There are seven pages of troubleshooting for that in the repair manual (more info), including checks of the IGCT fuse and relay, possible wiring repairs, or replacing the battery smart unit that you have ordered. By the book, you wouldn't replace that unit until you had determined it was the problem, but if you have already ordered it, I guess you might as well.

The 0 V and 25 V are definitely wrong.

3. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the replacement ECU solve your issue?