1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

110,000 maint. service questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2ewes4me, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 2ewes4me

2ewes4me Junior Member

My 2007 has never had the rear brakes checked, so I called to make an appt.
    For $111 they inspect the brakes, boots, linkage, CV boots, ball joints, drive shaft bolts, belts, hoses and fluids.

The dealership said I should also have a throttle body cleaning @ $60 and a coolant service @ $90.
    I read here that some do their own throttle body cleaning, so $60 seems wasteful, but I'd need some instructions on how to do it myself, if someone is willing to detail it for me please.

Is the coolant service @ $90 something I should have them do?

thanks-

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are two coolant loops in a Prius. I doubt that $90 covers both of them. They were due to be refreshed at 100k miles.

JeffD

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $60 for a throttle body service seems reasonable if you have no mechanical knowledge. It takes about 20 minutes to do, and the throttle body is likely to be dirty at 110k. However, I am not sure that you will notice any performance improvement from having this done.

At 110k you should also have the transaxle fluid replaced.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The throttle body service is foremost a preventative against the plate getting stuck in the gummy carbon stuff from the PCV that coats the bore. It is a good idea at 100K. They should also include a MAF sensor cleaning in the price. Now, you could see if they would combine these with spark plug replacement. That whole service is 1 hour or less of labor and should around $200.

Both coolants and transaxle fluid should be changed.

Rear brake service, well, if they aren't making any noise, let sleeping dogs lie.

1 person likes this.