1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

110 - 113 F. 'Vegas temps hurts hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eric "v", Jun 28, 2015.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +3
    There is nothing wrong with the battery. I can recreate the problem just by running AC continuously. Doesn't have to be hot.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yard sale!!!(y) take it all down to the pawn stars.:)

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol,

I was horrific yesterday. It was 26c in the house, 31c outside in the car. I know the Americans will all laugh but we only get it once every 10 years or so, so it's not worth installing a/c in your house for 3 days a decade.

Is the air conditioning in your garage the same as mine? A dodgy roof, knackered wooden side door and big gaps everywhere?

Oh and London is hot because of all the hot air that comes out of their mouths.

Tony D likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gloat all you want, we know better.
    Your humidity makes almost any temperature nasty.

The country of Moldemort

5. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait a minute! You gave us that Fahrenheit garbage that makes no sense and then switched over to the unversality of Celsius? Oh, I hate this country's refusal to move to metric. How much brain power would it save me not having to calculate what it is at 31C?

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's easy and takes about a month to fully sink in IF you change all your electronic thermometers to celcius and insist on using it. Change any that give you the option, though I think the US Prius is hardwired to fahrenheit.

I guess 100f sounds much hotter than 37c, but if you change, others will follow.

And while you're at it, change your clocks to 24h (y)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one sticking point for me for Celsius conversion is body temp. If someone's sick, especially me, I want to know in Fahrenheit.

Shutting AC off a few blocks from your destination is always a good tactic. Besides possible battery preservation, it helps dispel water from the systems, stops mold from taking hold.

8. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I work in a production laboratory so I insist all my projects be measured in metric. When I write a date, I do year/month/day. I also write time in 24 hours. The only non metric units I allow are fringes and waves HeNe which gives you an idea of what I do. Inevitably, there will be a drawing written in standard and it makes more sense to convert to their units during production. I hate it.

Yup, shut off AC about 30 seconds depending on ambient temperature from your destination for all cars, not just hybrids. In addition to what is already said above, it's 30 seconds less energy you'll be using lowering your fuel consumption by just a tad. Time it so the vents will still be cold enough at full blast to keep you cool before opening the doors. That's about 30 seconds when it's 80 degrees or so with an F.

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll save a LOT more energy by running the car in ECO mode with the HVAC in auto mode than you ever will by shutting the HVAC off when you near home.

10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh mine.. this is like sitting in meat freezer!

11. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK Modem,
    it could just be me running the AC all the time. I have to B/C of the dangerously high temps. here in 'Vegas. So far we have had 18 consecutive days above 105 F.

Mr. Grimes, I nearly always run the car in ECO and the AC in auto. It's only in PWR on freeway entrance ramps.

12. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't have to feel guilty using AC. The point is, your battery is low because of AC. Nothing is wrong with the battery. Heat is not your problem. Nothing is wrong with the car. You don't have to clear out your garage or move or sweat. The car is perfectly fine.

#32 mmmodem, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This quote does not mention anything about AC. I could worry about battery drain...

iPad ?