1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

110 VAC inverter installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 14, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

INSTALLATION

[​IMG]
    This is the storage tray over the spare tire and the 12V battery cover. There is a slot the right size for a switch/circuit breaker.

[​IMG]
    Removing the storage tray reveals several slots in the 12V battery cover that can be used to route cables.

[​IMG]
    Laying the circuit breaker in the slot, mark the outline and mounting hole.

[​IMG]
    This is a 120A, 12V circuit breaker with a switch function. Pushing the red button raises the small, horizontal bar, the switch.

[​IMG]
    Here the circuit breaker/switch is mounted on the 12V battery cover in the slot of the storage tray. The ON/OFF switch is open.

[​IMG]
    Walmart sell various 4 gauge wire kits that have swaged terminals on each end. The 70" one worked perfectly and I returned the others. In this case, we removed the curved part, leaving the flat battery terminal bolt section. You will need some additional, swag terminals depending upon the final wiring configuration. AutoZone and WalMart both carry them.

[​IMG]
    The +12V battery terminal cover has a Dremel slot cut so the now flat part of the cable can connect to the terminal and still close the cover.

[​IMG]
    Here is the storage tray side of the 12V battery cover with cables and the Anderson connector. Granger sells them but they can be found from various sources. This one is rated at 120A. In my case, I used a swag tool to connect the terminals but one could solder with a big-nice person soldering iron. Notice I've used tape and other plastic protectors to identify the B+ cable and protect it from accidental shorts.

[​IMG]
    Here the 12V cables are connected including the +12V cable using the slot. As for the ground cable, use the frame end of cable to minimize the risk of a small nut on the terminal post clamp falling off and requiring the whole battery assembly to be removed to recover it.

[​IMG]
    Here is the battery cover, circuit breaker/switch, and Anderson connector ready to go.

[​IMG]
    A second Anderson connector and the remaining cables used to make a connection to the inverter. BTW, this inverter is way too large. Nothing over 1.2 kW makes sense and even a 1 kW inverter with a 1.2kW surge would be a better match. I'm using a sine-wave inverter because I plan to drive a room air conditioner. Although a modified sine-wave inverter could be used, they are not motor friendly and have to tested with every potential load.

[​IMG]
    Here is the inverter in the storage tray, powered up and ready for testing.

[​IMG]
    One of the better test tools is a Kill A Watt power monitor. It can read out voltage, amps, watts and a host of parameters needed to characterize the load.

I have more testing to do including fuel consumption, power and testing with the room air conditioner. However, initial testing revealed:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 [th]watts[th]amps[th]comments[tr][td]750W[/td][td]7A[/td][td]Input 13.1 V DC voltage means this is a stable load.[tr][td]1 200W[/td][td]11A[/td][td]Input 12.5 V DC indicates we are probably drawing power from the battery exceeding the inverter output.[/td]
    The static battery voltage started at 12.55 and other sources indicate 12.8 V is the maximum, static battery voltage. If the operational, input voltage is lower than the static, starting, car-off, voltage, the battery is being drained.

I still need to put 1x1 studs on each end to raise the bottom to improve cooling. Unlike my earlier, NHW11 installation, the inverter will be removable but for now I'll probably just carry it in the storage tray with the circuit breaker/switch open.

My next tests will run the 925 W room air conditioner and monitor the 12V battery voltage. Every socket and connection will be temperature tested with an IR thermometer looking for hot spots. We'll also measure the voltage drop across every junction to get an idea of connector power losses. This endurance test will also give some initial fuel consumption numbers per kWhr.

What got me busy on this was helping to jump a stalled car outside of a grocery store. I'm thinking about getting a second Anderson connector, a high current Schottky diode, and jumper cables. If I have to do it again, I'll have a safe set of cables that even if someone should accidently try to reverse jump, nothing will happen. <grins>

BTW, my NHW11, a 2003 Prius, has a similar ~1kW power limitation. I have not done the test but I suspect the NHW20 can also sustain a 1kW power load on the 12V bus.

Since I've got a much larger inverter than a single Prius can drive, I am thinking about how I might augment it. One option would be a power, solar array. Another would be to Schottky connect a second Prius to provide additional amps. I have 'options.'

Comments?
    Bob Wilson

donbright, dancehost, R-P and 7 others like this.
  2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Unfortunately, the slot you used is where the cargo cover is stowed when you fill the back of the Prius with "stuff".

3. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice article. It would be nice if we could operate an inverter off the HVB. That is more complicated and would require something other than an off the shelf inverter but it has the potential of offering much more power and efficiency. Several kw should be easy. Somebody should offer an inverter with a 200-300 vdc input so that it would work with many hybrids and a conversion manual. The inverter might actually be cheaper if it was manufactured for a high voltage input. The car system should tolerate it just as it does it's own high and variable HVAC load. Installation hazard would be a problem.

4. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did they change the thickness of the 12V bus in later Generations? It appears you are getting lower 12V DC/DC output voltage as compared to the Gen1 at the same amperage load, so I'm wondering how much they changed the DC/DC regulator design.

Just wondering if you could track inverter temp for say the first 5 mins running under a >50A load.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What do you use this for? I have small portable ones for a camera.

6. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would be very nice if such an inverter were manufactured specifically for this purpose. I've had talks with power supply manufacturers to that end, but none seemed interested. Fortunately, you can buy a UPS on eBay very cheaply and adapt and adopt it for this purpose. Website PriUPS-getting electricity FROM your hybrid vehicle has some recommendations for units and pictures of installation, at least for Gen II Prii. I just got a PiP and hopefully will have a report on how well this works with the latest generation later in the year.

Richard

dancehost and ftl like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good to have you back bob, thanks.:)

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One advantage of sticking 120V inverters in a PiP is that you can go to these ChargePoints and get a free 3kWh of electricity then drive somewhere and run an appliance for free. After that you are using gas just like any Prius.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The NHW11 has a 100A fusible link and the ZVW30 a 125A fusible link. Assuming the amp ratings are there to protect the wiring, I would expect a heavier gauge wire to the battery. We also know the 12V DC-to-DC inverter in the car is variable voltage from the "new car features."

These are also two different installation approaches. The NHW11 has the inverter permanently mounting in the trunk on a hinged, plywood side-wall using the shortest, possible directly connected cables and the NHW11 used a different model, 12V battery.

In contrast, the ZVW30 inverter is removable. I tried to find a place to mount it but the storage tray needs to be removable to access the spare tire and the corner over the battery didn't work either. Since it is removable, the cabling has three connectors that my NHW11 does not have:
    1. Circuit breaker/switch junction
    2. B+ Anderson connector
    3. Ground Anderson connector
    Part of my testing will measure the voltage drop across each junction using my VOM and also the voltage drop across the 4 gauge cable. This will also let me judge the quality of my swaged terminals.

If my testing shows excessive voltage drop, I may go with a set of permanent cables and a 'stand' on the cable end. The inverter would store in the storage tray yet one could pull it up and stand it upright over the battery cover when accessing the spare tire. This would eliminate the connectors and use a 100/125A fuse for the circuit breaker. But I would also want a second, chafing shield around the B+ cable.

A second option would be to mount the inverter to the battery cover. There would be some loss of hatchback volume, the corner over the battery. However, it would minimize the cable lengths and could still be laid on the spare tire when the battery needs replacement. This would also protect the cables so a chafing cover would not be needed.

The inverter has its own cooling fans and the 1x1 mounts will provide air space under the unit. It has thermal protection so I normally don't worry about it.

Bob Wilson

dave77 likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Richard,
    As much as I like the idea of running from the traction battery, I still have problems getting accurate information about the internal, power bus of UPS units. My fundamental problem is not having the circuit schematics.

To my thinking, the best solution would be spoofing the MG2 inverter with a switch that ties either two or three legs to 120/220 VAC outlets, and a microprocessor that handles the resolver inputs. The software would spoof the inverter to generate the synthetic AC. Everything is there but the connectors and software to drive the MG2 inverter. Power would be limited by the amp ratings of the sockets more than anything else. Three independent, 15-20A circuits, separated by 120 degrees would be available.

I have a spare, NHW11 inverter that someday may be my test article.

Bob Wilson

dave77 likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

An interesting thought:
    When the cargo cover is in place it provides some additional structural support for the rear floor. I don't use it but had never considered its secondary purpose of reenforcing the hatchback floor area. But I prefer having emergency power when the lights go out. <grins>

Bob Wilson

12. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry I didn't mean the inverter in the trunk. I meant I wonder about the heating of the DC/DC regulators in the car inverter which are mounted on the secondary heatsink with the A/C power transistors (ie not the three phase igbts board) I guess the inverter pump keeps it all at about the same temp, I wasn't sure if there was a PID that might indicate DC/DC regulator heating when you get up in the 100A range.

The DC voltage level should be an indication of reaching the limit of the buck converter as it can only switch so fast and is limited by the size of the inductor and current limits of the regulator ICs.

I imagine if you saw say 13.1V and then 10 mins later with the same current load it dropped to 12.9V that would be from the ICs heating up and having less drive current.

See here for the inductor (transformer) than can heat and the regulators on the heatsink/ secondary inverter heatsink. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/training/800/oak-i-bot.jpg

I'm still curious about the cabling to the battery because they never intended 100A to the battery in terms of IR drops. (But it sounds like you have that covered with:

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    None that I'm aware of.
    My NHW11 testing indicated the earlier one had no problem. I only observed a voltage drop when the current draw got in the 89-90A range. I've already put a 1.2kW load on the inverter and the voltage dropped to 12.5V suggesting we're in the battery buffer range.
    It is hard to tell from the image the model Prius. It is substantially different than the NHW11 and I suspect it is not the ZVW30 inverter.
    The schematic shows a 125A fusible link so I suspect it can handle the current.

Bob Wilson

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the breaker and the Anderson connector. Btw, it's easy to put a big connector on heavy gauge wire and a big nice person soldering iron won't work very well. Just put the wire in a vise heat the wire end up with a MAF torch. A big one. Then tin it. Then stick the tinned wire in the connector and heat it up with the MAF and solder away. You can make a real nice monster dc cable this way cheap. This comes in handy if you want to make a custom length monster dc cable. Sure beats the stamped cables.
    From my big nice person car stereo days long ago.

15. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bob, one quick future idea. One possibility for direct use of the HV battery is to take the 3 phase high-voltage (up to 288 V) [1] that goes to the electric AC compressor and use that to generate 120V or 240V through an inverter or a high-leg delta transformer. (or transformers on each phase and use three balanced loads which isn't ideal).

The power to the A/C compressor would be easy to turn on and off with the A/C switch. And I think you could read the voltages on the the compressor connectors and emulate something back to the ECU. I'm sure maybe some code would be thrown because it isn't getting colder or pressurized.

All it would take is unplugging the A/C compressor at the inverter and just leave it hanging except maybe a fake resistance or voltage on the 3-pin connectors. Plug in the new three cables into the inverter for the backup power.

Though I'm not sure what kind of current the A/C HV inverter is designed to put out.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We are thinking along the same lines. Sad to say, only my wife's ZVW30 has an electric compressor. But I suspect it is an adaption of a commercial compressor and likely to be using a Japanese-style, AC source, and probably at a fixed frequency.

Bob Wilson

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sad to say, initial testing with the existing air conditioner failed. I suspect the overload protection circuit in the inverter shut it down before the compressor started. I was hoping the 1.5kW inverter with 3kW surge could handle it. Once running, the AC current draw is only 9.25A but the AC compressor inrush may be too much and go on too long. I'll have to break out my instruments and take some measurements.

First I need to measure the startup load of the air conditioner and then see what happens when the inverter tries to crank it up. The solution may be as simple as a soft-start circuit that limits the startup load to 1.5kW for some finite length of time. Since the compressor normally cycles, it needs to be a little smarter than the normal circuit.

I also have a second air conditioner, an earlier, smaller unit, that may work. It certainly is worth a quick test.

Last year, I saw an even smaller unit at Home Depot last year and if they still carry it, a quick test. During a summer power outage, we only need one room cool enough to sleep.

The last option is the 5,000 BTU window unit.

Bob Wilson

dancehost and walter Lee like this.
  18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mounted one like this:

[​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AC compressor is likely to have a signficant power spike at startup - putting alot of strain on any inverter-battery-generator system so I'm not surprised at what happen -but your setup probably could do something less ambitious like run a laptop or a ham radio. The circuit breaker is a great addition but I am wondering if there isn't something else you could do to prevent draining the 12VDC battery too far (e.g. a low battery power alert /shut off system) . It would really be cool if there was a Prius upgrade/accessory so the Prius ICE could double as a backup generator - Something like that might even have a RV/Camping market potential.

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Nicely done!
    I tried to read the watts but no luck. I also checked the current Cobra web site and it looks like they now have LCD read-outs. What I didn't find was whether these are modified sine-wave (price suggests they are) and their rated efficiency.

How long have you had it?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson