1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

110v outlets in your prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, May 15, 2008.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In previous related threads, we have discussed the differences between modified sine wave and pure sine wave inverters. The former is cheaper ($100 and up, new, in this size range), and is best suited for resistive loads. Like coffeepots and toasters. Pure sine wave will be $300 and up, but probably a better choice for inductive loads (most motors) and digital power supplies.

If you now what you plan to power and do your research, you will avoid disappointments.

I think it would be rare to find a microwae oven that can be comfortably accomodated by the Prius' 12 volt system. But it could be handy.

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sine wave is nice but for the price $900-2400 for 1500w its crazy. My laptop and other digital devices have run for 4 years off modified, no problems.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

In my case Pat, I got a wife who makes 3to 4 times what I do and is in line for more this year! I got a deal with her! It allows me to live indoors all the time now! :D

4. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yes that is just about the price floor I had in mind for modified sine wave inverters. Quite a few suppliers also, including the 'ever popular internet auction site'.

This end of the market are all made in Asia, Phillipines, nearby. That will either please you, or not. I bet the circuit designs are all extremely similar, but there may be differences in quality of semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors inside. Xantrex has a good reputation for their large expensive inverters, so if they mean to safeguard that, you may be on to one of the better ones here.

An accessory feature worth considering is a remote power toggle with light. Not all the inverters offer this. Often Prius installations will have the inverter sternwards near the 12 volt battery. You may still have an unoccupied switch position near the driver's left knee?

6. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I will. While I do use tire plugs I doubt it would have helped me when a 3/8" bolt decided to take up residence in on of my rear tires only to be expelled a few miles down the freeway (hmm, so that's what that "chink -chink -chink then hsssssss noise was ;-)). Tire plug, no chance for that hole. I'll keep my spare...

Rick
    #4 2006

7. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 4 day trip update using the inverter.

Well the inverter works great. You need to have the car main power on while using it. It you want to keep the battery from draining rturn the heater on high heat with low fan. The heat setting keeps the ICE running and the battery charging. It sure is nice having 110v power to make a quick pot of coffee etc.

Attached Files:

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Nice job. I tend to handle my caffeine addiction in much the same way :)

I believe that you will find it unnecessary to run the car heat for this purpose. As you already have the Prius in 'Ready" the gasoline engine will start automatically when the battery SOC falls to about 45% and shut off at about 52%. The MFD screen won't tell you all those details but that's what she does.

There is at least one other trigger for engine starting - coolant temperature falling to 72 C. But with several hundred watts external load on the 12 volt system, the other will almost certainly kick in first.

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did some experimenting while on my trip. If you only push the power button and not the heater the battery will drop down to the lowest charge state of 1 purple bar. While this is fine if your going to drive the car and if your drive is down hill. But if your not driving until the next day or your drive is uphill this is very bad. I prefer to keep the battery fully charged for the night by setting the heat to high.

10. iLLa Prius

iLLa Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    me personally, id rather have a spare. you can always use a smaller inverter and put it the glove box. or use your set up and add the spare battery with isolator. you can also use a Battery Brain Auto if you really wanted to. my inverter has clamps. so i have it unhooked at all times because i almost never use it. i like your idea though. ive had my own similar ideas.

1 person likes this.
  11. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why is this bad?

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Remounted the inverter today. Cut a hole in the cargo bay and installed a speaker vent tube. I also installed some heavy duty marine couplers so I can connect and disconnect the inverter.

Here are some pics. One last mod was to install a remote switch to activate the inverter from the plug end of the 25ft power cord.

Attached Files:

13. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

we have a ac/dc converter that plugs into the fake cigarette lighter thingy. instead of having a car adapter for everyting you just use this thing. you can plug in anything up to 70 watts.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever makes you happy, but there's no reason to worry about whether your drive is uphill or downhill. The Prius will charge itself back up quickly.
    But, if you insist on seeing blue bars before your drive you can always just force charge the HV battery by putting the car in drive, depressing the brake and then the accelerator and letting the ICE run and charge the HV.

15. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Two things I learned while driving in the sierras. If your battery is dead (or charging) while driving up hill you have NO power, none!. You also suffer greatly on your mpg (like 8mpg avg). Its much better to have a fully charged battery before trying to go up a steep hill that is of significant length. Try going up Tioga pass with a dead battery. The car is also NOT able to charge the battery while going up a sustained steep incline. I attempted to go up Tioga the first day with a drained battery and could only achieve 28mph top speed. The cars behind were getting pissed.

So back to my original post it is better to do what I stated.

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One can always fully charge the HV battery to the green ( 80%) MANUALLY, by putting car in D and stepping on accelerator, with Emergency brake set and foot on foot brake. Then disconnect any and all loads and 12VDC and HV should stay fully charged all night. Note: This procedure works very quickly, in a minute or two, if memory serves me.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have driven the Sacto to Reno stretch often as well as that 12000 foot pass outside of Denver and never had ANY problems with either the HV or the 12VDC Batteries. Other cars, cooling systems, batteries YES, BUT, never a problem with my Prius. Incidently, this thread and any of the others dicussing, Prius as a electric grid source, or solar assisted homes and Prius charging can be the future. Some really great inputs.

18. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Dr. From your post,I hope people do not think that after depressing the brake and then the accelerator. (with the same foot) ....... this will guarantee a drive thru garage door. THIS COULD BE A DANGEROUS PROCEDURE, SO MAKE SURE BOTH BRAKES STAY SET WHILE STEPPING ON THE ACCELERATOR. It's possible that Toyota put some sort of failsafe on this procedure. I do know that the Emergency brake can be set poorly ( depending on adjustment. ) Mr. Nitpicker

19. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many watts can be pulled from the cigarette lighter with an ordinary (i.e.: cheap) inverter?

20. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Input watts to the inverter = volts * amps. If the fuse is 15 A, input watts are 15*12 (nominal) = 180 W. The inverter is probably 80 to 90% efficient, so output watts would be about 150. Fuses are thermal devices, so their rating is dependent on ambient temp and resistive heating. A long-term load on a hot day could blow it even at rated load.

My wife bought a cheap plug-in inverter, keeps it under the seat, and it works fine for the laptop and a AA battery charger for her GPS (she's a serious geocacher). We even shaved the poodle on a camping trip with a set of electric clippers once. No coffee, though.

The plug-in inverters have an in-line fuse that will blow long before the car's fuse will.