1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

115,000/120,000 Mile Service Ideas and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Priuscial, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Priuscial

Priuscial New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey everyone, new member here! I have a 2013 Prius Plug-in Base and am approaching 115,000 miles and was curious about what preventative maintenance, service and replacements I should perform. What can I ask to be checked or have replaced to maximize reliability? What are some common failure points?

At 100,000 miles, I got new transaxle fluid, fuel system cleaning, an oil change, hybrid fan cleaning and checkup. spark plugs, and everything recommended from the dealer.

1. To start, I was told that I was losing a good deal of tread on my tires and that I may need new tires soon. I have Ecopia EP422 Plus tires, but the interesting thing is that it has only been about 35,000 miles for them, and they have a 70,000 mile warranty? Is there some way to make a warranty claim that they ran short?

2. I was told my front shocks and struts were seeing wear and should be replaced soon by 117,000 miles or so, and I do feel this too as I feel handling has taken a bit of a hit, as well as that I have scraped the car once when going up a curb ramp.

I heard from someone that even the front struts/shocks could be quite expensive at one shop, and I am not sure which parts they use. I don't know where to find OEM parts for the front strut and shock assembly if anyone knows.

Right now I am eyeing the KYB 4245 and KYB 4246 Strut-plus. I don't know if I also need to get a strut mount for these (KYB SM5665) or a stabilizer bar end link/bushing (Ultra-Power K750043), but I have heard that I should. Would these be good?

3. I don't know if it is worth it to go for the rear shock absorbers (KYB 349035) if I didn't hear anything on them being bad or worn last time.

4. I have also heard that it is wise to replace the inverter cooling pump and fluid as they may also fail at a certain point and cause a serious headache.

5. I also heard it is smart to refresh brake fluid due to water collection problems in the brake line and causing wear on components as well as reduced performance.

6. I know that I am at least going to get an oil change and a full inspection when I go to the mechanic within the next few days, and also have them update me on the urgency of the shocks and struts as well as the tires.

Does anyone have any advice on any of this or about what I should ask to get checked, what I should get done, or any other smart preventative things to do with approaching 115,000/120,000 miles?

Edit: I should also note that I like to run premium fuel a lot in my car as I believe it can help me keep parts of my fuel system cleaner.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  2. southsidedakota

southsidedakota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :), despite what people say about you are wasting $$$ on premium fuel, my mechanic, who works on hundreds of cars a year only uses premium fuel on all his cars.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've taken advantage of tread-life warranty before, with tires that were at the wear bars at 50% of the warrantied mileage. I would go back to the shop that installed them, preferably with the bill of sale. If you don't have the bill they hopefully can pull it up from their records. The way it worked for me: the shop was able to install new, identical tires, only charged me half-price, recouped the balance from the tire manufacturer.

Sleep on it; could be a suspension/tire shop trying to drum up buisiness? Does the ride feel ok?

I've heard more about the engine coolant pump (aka "water pump") failing. If you're planning on retaining the car long-term, maybe change both by 150K? And the water pump thermostat.

While Toyota USA says nothing, Toyota Canada recommends to change the brake fluid every 48K kms (30K miles) or 3 years.

Are you doing most of the miles on the plug-in battery, without the engine? If not, if your driving is closer to regular Prius, then you're VERY due for a complete cleaning of the EGR system and intake manifold. My 2 cents: not doing this, carbon will build up, and lead to head gasket failure, somewhere between 150K and 200K. Again, just my opinion.

More info in first link in my signature.

Do you have semi-regular full brake inspections. Toyota USA recommends this every 30K miles or tri-yearly.

Waste of money. You could try a perdiodic bottle of fuel injector cleaner instead. Even that might just be snake-oil.

Priuscial and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many years/miles have you owned it?

Priuscial likes this.
  5. Priuscial

Priuscial New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My family and I have had it for five years now. I estimate we have put about 60k miles on it since.

bisco likes this.
  6. Priuscial

Priuscial New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's very good to know regarding the tire warranty. I will give it a try! It was from Costco tire center and I still have the bill.

Since your reply, the oil change and inspection has been done. It was found that my rear driver shock has a small leak, but it is not urgent and the car is still safe for the road as stated. I asked about the coolant pumps and they stated it was good to go still. They also ran codes, and saw nothing of concern or impending failure. Still, I will get a quote, but I expect around $300 for both shocks including parts and labor.

As for the intake manifold and EGR cleaning, I will inquire about it and find out details. I am not sure if it has been done already, as I'm sure I had full service at 100,000 miles from the dealership. I'm not sure if they did that though.

The ride quality is very smooth overall, but handling feels a bit poor. Almost like a boat. However, after the oil change, brakes felt a lot better and more responsive. Perhaps they bled the fluid. Still, I will inquire and ask about the brakes again.

Regarding the premium fuel, that is good to know.

As for driving, I barely use EV mode. I will get the EGR/intake manifold cleaning inquired about. I drive about 4,000-5,000 miles a year since I purchased the car from family a little more than a year ago. Before that, it was driven around 12,000 miles a year.

Thank you for your in-depth response and for every other response. I learned a good deal and am more aware of what to look out for now.

Edit: My mileage is now at 112,300.

#6 Priuscial, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  7. Priuscial

Priuscial New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One other thing, my engine air intake filter was also replaced during the oil change. It was found to be very dirty.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 120k, i would just follow the maintenance schedule, ignore dealer recommendations, and pay attention to any symptoms like ride quality

N.J.PRIUS and Priuscial like this.
  9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why you trying to spend money on a car that doesn't have anything broken? Stop trying to fix stuff. Something will break after a little while and you wish you had saved your money for that instead. The card isn't need anything just drive it man