1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I made my backup tonight. To those who ask why, it's just a precaution for after the warranty expires. Sure, you might buy an update at that point to replace a defective disk, but why not have the option to get back up and running without paying $250 or more? A backup is just a precaution.

For others considering this, you may want to wait until just before the warranty is about to expire and take advantage of the prices and technology of the day.

I backed up an '05 version 5.1. The copy software reported there is 7.76 GB of data on this disk. I don't have DVD write capability on my home or office computer, but I did have access to a CD duplicator robot that was equipped with multiple Pioneer DVR-110D DVD drives. Can't give you any technical info on the copy, I just said "Go".

I used Memorex DVD +R Dual-Layer disks. It took about 40-45 minutes to do the copy, after which I ran a verify. Plugged it into my NAV system, and it works great. I think I'll leave it there and keep my original in the house...

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I think I will try it tommorrow... Ill try a straight burn first on the fly.. I may use clone dvd2 or nero. If I use nero you can burn an image and then burn from the image to disk. The benifit of burning to an .iso or .nrg image is that its good about doing an exact duplicate... even if it has hidden files.

I will scan it to see if it had encryption or copy protection, if so I may try have to rip it first to strip that stuff off it.

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let us know how it goes. I really would like to get a backup.
    Would it be wrong to give the backup to a friend to see if it worth it to buy the update? Then remove it after the test. Because the data is out of date already. Stupid Toyota.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I went to try it.. only problem is I can't get the stinking dvd out?.... you slide the button to the left on the rom underneath the drivers seat and it opens a slit. Then you press that same button and nothing will happen?

I tried it with the power on and off... I pressed and held, still nothing?

There is no pinhole to force it out.

I'm wondering if the rom is even in there... do they not give it to you?

I was wondering if the slit is for loading new disks to a hardrive.

If anyone knows the secret.. let me know if you will.

I did a search and couldn't find the method, and its not in the manual that I can see.. they merely suggest you contact the dealer.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll try and find it, I saw a post on how to do it.

If I remember right, the outer shell has a door on it, then in that door is a button to eject the disk.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yea.. getting the door off is easy... then there is a button that you slide to the left that opens a slit, then you push the button.. but it does not eject?

The dealer told me there was another device they hook up that allows it to work?...

I don't know if thats crapola or not?

But its obviously new with the 06.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

In ACC or better mode, slide door open, then press button, then wait a second. If the sliding door is already open, slide it closed, then open. You might have to activate the NAV by going to it and pressing I Agree, but I don't think you should have to do that.

But then you have a 2006. They may have changed things for the 2006.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hey.. DanMan.. your the Man!....

It worked!... I turned on acc, then went to NAV and hit "I agree" and then it ejected as soon as I slid open the door!

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK.. looks like I'm doing something wrong... I used Nero the latest version.
    I tried to make an image ".iso" which I did in "DVD-ROM - UDF mode and successfully made an image file about 7.7 gig in size and then burn't to DL +R Verbatim disk. EVerything went fine until I loaded it in the rom in the car. I said it couldn't read it.

The disk is finalized and the burn appeared perfect. There is abviously something wrong in how I did it... or else it didn't like the +R disk?

Can someone who is successful share some more light?

I've made two verabtim DL coasters.. . "or at least they can't be read".. bummer.

the CD title was the same as the original... but there was something about how the Car dvd analyzes the disk that it didn't like?

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nate.. why did you use Winimage verses Nero to create the image?

I did the same as you except used nero to make the image and it didn't work.

the burns were all successful with no errors, but the rom in the car wouldn't read it?

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As a test I just used Nero 6 to create a DVD copy of the 4.2 Nav disk. No special settings, I just used the DVD copy function and burned it to a Memorex DVD +R DL disk. The copy works fine in my 2005.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Humm..... Funky Monkey.....I did the same thing "CD Copy" and the burn went fine.. but it won't read.... I wonder if the 06 is different?

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe "better" DRM?

14. c4

c4 Active Member

What brand/model of DVD burner are you using?? Mine happened to be a Toshiba OEM.. Some models of drive are apparently more "compatible" than others, and some can be made to work with firmware upgrades.. The burning software doesn't seem to matter as I've seen many accounts of different software being used that worked.. Myself, I used Nero 6's "Copy DVD" (*not* "Copy CD") function (direct copy, did *not* make an image first).

I have the factory firmware on my DVD drive, but the thing I had to do with my burner to make usable copies was burn at the very slowest speed possible. I also turned on the verification pass afterwards to ensure that the copy was readable. If I recall, one other person here had to change the drive firmware before he was able to burn usable copies..

Apparently, you can now get DVD-R DL (vs. the +R) from some places, so if you can get them in your area, you might try them instead of the +R..

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Staples had the I/O Magic DL drive for $80, and since I'm collecting upgrade parts for my move to a 64-bit AMD computer I'll be considering that...

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sorry Bill.. what is "drm?"

The burner I"m using is the HP DVD 640i with the latest firmware.

I may have to see if I can find a copy of winimage.

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks Nate.. I'll try this.. I really don't think its my burner or I would have gotten an error of sorts.. but it could be the copy method or software.

Ill let you know if it works.