1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Nov 8, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ok Nate, I tried it.. got winimage and even got it registered and all the copying went perfect. I made an image with default settings and copied to DL verbatim disk to no avail.. it still won't read.

Did you change any of the default settings on winimage?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well, thats a thought... I'm not super worried about it anyway.... its more of a challenge for me and for fun.... I don't really expect if something goes wrong it will actually be the CD itself per se, since no dust can even get to it.
    But it would be nice.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

I suppose it's possible that the '06 nav unit can't read DVD+R DLs. (Is it still a Denso-manufactured unit?), however, I would suspect DVD writer incompatibility before the reader.. I've encountered a few cases where a player would simply not read disks created on a certain burner, but burning on another computer with a different brand of burner (and once, it was the same brand and model of burner) worked fine.. Do you have access to another burner at work or at a friend's that you can try?

5. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

Do you know whether the original disc is pressed with Parellel Track Path or Opposite Track Path. I suspect it is the former case like my Honda NAV disc. I haven't checked my Prius NAV disc yet.

Burner can only write Opposite Track Path. So there are ways for software/hardware to tell whether it is a commercal dual-layer disc or not. Perhaps that check is now built into the newer NAV. Just a thought.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Humm. could be.. I can't see that it would be my burner because the burns come off perfect with no errors. Firmware updates and different burners mainly help with compatibility issues. True some burn better and cleaner than others.. but I have an 16X burner and I only burn't at 2.4X since that was the speed of my disks. My point is that the burner was just cruising without any strain. Here are the specs on my burner Hp 640i "16x/4x/16x DVD+RW, 8x/4x/16x DVD-RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 40x/24x/40x CD-RW"

there must be something wrong with the software settings etc. Unless the NEC uses parallel track burning, but you say burners can only do opposite track buring, so I can't figure?

This must not be the issue, or else no one would be getting successful burns.

7. c4

c4 Active Member

Just because your drive can burn "successfully" and can read and verify its *own* burns does *NOT* mean than any *other* drive will be able to read those disks.. As I said, it used to be very, very common that you could burn a bunch of disks and read them back perfectly on your own computer/drive, but if you took those same disks over to a different computer with a different drive, that the other drive could not read the disks. Interoperability/compatibility of burnt disks is less of a problem these days, but it still crops up occasionally..

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yea.. I've found its usually not a firmware issue but a software setting.

But you could be right... you would think that using the same media as someone who was successful would be enough. But maybe not.
    I know firmware updates can improve compatibilty.

Like you said.. the only disk I ever see anymore have problems reading are the really old ones. But they may have purposely written the firmware in the one in the prius to avoid anything but pressed disks.. but I'm still miffed why some can do it.

9. priusbeast

priusbeast Junior Member

Anyone know of a less expensive place to get the new navigation DVDs besides going through the dealer.

Navteq doesn't seem to sell them directly.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if these would work or not?
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...+DVD&category0=

Maybe you could even call Navteq and ask them if there is a special one it needs or if any dvd navigation will work?

11. c4

c4 Active Member

All Navteq-based nav systems use the same nav database format- the only difference is the device-specific drivers/software, so it is theoretically possible to get some other brand's latest Navteq update, to extract the map database off that disk, combine it with the Toyota drivers/software to create a new disk..

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems if we can't even do a basic copy of a regural navteq disk and get it to play, it would be even harder to in essence piece together our own disk and get it to play?

Copying files and burning a disk is easy enough.. but you have to get the player to play it too?

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I wish we could find a combination that worked for everybody.

15. jbreynolds

jbreynolds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is incorrect. Many nav system manufacturers compile NAVTEQ data into non-NAVTEQ formats. Denso (builder of the Toyota nav system) is one such manufacturer. Their systems use Kiwi format disks. NAVTEQ format disks for other nav systems will not work in the Toyota system.

16. rsexton

rsexton Junior Member

This is my first post,so please be kind. I hope someone finds this helpful...
    I went to the Toyota dealership today and asked to speak with their "smartest guy on Prius navigation". He gave me the following information.........
    ALMOST all 2004 and 2005 Prius have GENERATION 4 systems in them. SOME 2006 also have the older GEN. 4 systems, hence an earlier post from the gentleman from Australi who posted that his 2006 still would override with the top/bottom sequence. MOST 2006 have the GEN. 5 systems. The upgrade disc's for the GEN. 4 and 5 are not compatable. The version names are the same for each update, ie: v4.2 or v5.1 and the upcoming version to be released in Dec/Jan. The VERSION numbers are for the map data versions, they put the same map data on DVD's with the GEN 4 and GEN 5 software. GEN 4 systems will not read the disc with the GEN 5 software on it and vice/versa. So, if you want the new navigation software released in Dec/Jan, you have to specify GEN 4 or GEN 5 update. All updates have a GEN 4 AND GEN 5 version: 4.2, v5.1 which is in MOST 2006, and the soon to be released V6.x? Each year, normally in Sept., a new version is released and the price, he believes, will again be approx. $250 plus tax.

I do not know if the GEN 4 V5.1 disables the top/bottom override sequence because I only have the GEN 4 V4.2. Here is the purpose of my post..... I have successfully taken the program data from a Pioneer AVIC-N1 Nav. system and updated it with the map data from 2 versions later (CNDV_40MT software with the CNDV_60MT maps). The V40 allowed the bypass, the V50 and V60 disabled it. My brother just bought a 2006 with GEN 5 system and V5.1 maps. He copied the DVD and is mailing it to me. While it will not work in my 2005, I will try and combine the GEN 4 software with the GEN 5 map data, and hopefully it will also work the same for GEN 4 and the upcoming 6.x maps.
    Can anyone tell me if the purchased GEN 4 V5.1 update disc still allows the top/bottom override or did Toyota disable it in the update?

Sorry for the long post, but have tried to be as clear as possible, hoping this will be of some value to others.

17. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Feb 13 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]209048[/snapback]</div>
    Is there a verdict yet on whether the newer nav dvd drive can read burned disks? I've tried on our 2007 prius with Verbatim DVD+R DL burned on two NEC drives with K3B on Linux. I got the "Error Read DVD" message. But the disks seem fine on many computers I tried on.

18. tds

tds New Member

also, does anyone know which files on the dvd are nav system specific, beside the loading.kwi, and which files are generic map and poi data?

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Oct 11 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]331254[/snapback]</div>
    The problem may be in the DVD format... it's not that big a deal anymore, as i think most of them are now +, but back a few years or so ago there were two types: DVD+R and DVD-R, and some drives could read one type and some others.

20. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 11 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]331296[/snapback]</div>
    I understand this. I just don't know why the Prius DVD drive cann't read the disk I burned, despite the fact that Verbatim DVD+R DL is the best DL media you can get.