1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12” Info Media screen

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by daisy555, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I used to feel the same, but I've gotten used to talking to my phone and would never go back. So much quicker than typing. And then I added google nest speakers and philips hue lights to my house and it's been really nice. I love being able to turn lights on or off with my hands full or from a different room of the house. I will still sometimes use a non-voice interface when I need to do a bunch of things at once, or a more complicated set of commands, but for simple things it's great. I plan to add appliances and window coverings at some point.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does that work in gen 4?

3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Sort of. I think the gen4 requires you to press the button on the steering wheel then enter the command. The gen5 can do it without the button press if you preface the command with "Hey Toyota" or "OK Toyota".

I worded my earlier answer the way I did because of your gloves comment. Plus we're mostly talking about the gen5 and not the gen4.

In case you actually are interested, the list of gen4 voice commands as of 2022 are:

Navigation:
    “Address” - Enables setting a destination by saying the address
    “Find <POI category>” - Displays a list of <POI category*1> near the current position*2
    “Go Home” - Displays the route to home
    “Delete Destination” - Deletes the destination
    Phone:
    “Call <contacts> <phonetypes>” - Places a call to the said phone type of the contact from the phone book
    “Dial <phone number>” - Places a call to the said phone number
    “Show Recent Calls” - Displays the call history screen
    “Redial” - Places a call to the phone number of the latest outgoing call
    “Call Back” - Places a call to the phone number of latest incoming call
    Music:
    “Play Artist <name>” - Plays tracks from the selected artist
    “Play Album <name>” - Plays tracks from the selected album
    “Play Song <name>” - Plays the selected track
    “Turn Music On/Off” - Turns the audio system on/off
    Radio:
    “Tune to <frequency> AM” - Changes the radio to the specified AM frequency
    “Tune to preset <number>” - Changes the radio to the specified preset radio station
    “Tune to satellite <channel name>” - Changes the radio to the specified satellite radio station with the specified name
    “Listen to <genre>” - Changes the radio to the specified satellite radio station of the specified genre “Listen to <genre> on satellite”*
    Info:
    “Show Forecast” - Displays weather information
    “Get the forecast for <area>” - Display the forecast for specified area
    “Show Doppler weather map” - Displays doppler weather map
    “Show Traffic” - Displays traffic information
    “Get traffic along this road” - Displays traffic information along the current road
    “Show predictive traffic” - Displays predictive traffic information
    Climate:
    “Turn Climate Control On/Off” - Turns air conditioning system on/off
    “Warmer” - Increases the temperature of the air conditioning system
    “Cooler” - Decreases the temperature of the air conditioning system
    “<#> degrees” - Changes the set temperature of the air conditioning system to <#> degrees

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess i would need confirmation that it actually works because of toyotas awful infotainment reputation.
    plus, i can't possibly remember all those instructions.

5. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We are on the same page. As if while I'm driving down the freeway at 70 mph I want to fiddle with my touch screen to see where the nearest McDonalds is. Do you tap once to turn it on and tap twice for 911 emergency accident alert?

And gee ain't it great to sign up for Sirius monthly service and Howard Stern. Or did he leave Sirius a few years ago? There was a day when you drove a car to get from point A to point B but now you have to spend a good week reviewing all the software touch screen instructions before you leave your driveway. And oh 8 inches is not big enough. Oh 12 inches isn't big enough. Oh 24 inches isn't big enough. Etc.

Boy I miss the old days of FM and 49 cent gas.

#25 Sue Case, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    samsprius1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. FLT-2023

FLT-2023 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I know it's an old thread. I'll start a new one if necessary.

My wife just replaced her Gen2 Prius with a Gen5 Prius Prime SE. She doesn't do smart phones, so I activated Drive connect. I added some destination addresses using the Toyota app on my iPhone. However, I can't find a way to put names or nicknames on those addresses. She needs to touch or say the street name to select a destination. Is there a way to add a destination name without having a smart phone in the car? She has resorted to attaching her 15 year old Garmin to the dash which does use names for saved destinations. (I even added a business destination from the POI list and it only shows up as an address). Toyota's email help was useless.

#26 FLT-2023, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2023
    daisy555 likes this.
  7. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have about 500 miles on my Limited, and finally yesterday on a 200 mile round trip, we figured out some of the audio/gps/android auto controls. Over the weekend I wrestled with the settings on the steering wheel and got the lane departure beeper working (it is a setting, the default is a vibration in the steering wheel that I can't feel for some reason) and the light coming on when the door opens. It is a learning experience. I still have no idea how to exit Android Auto to get back to the built in apps short of turning off the blue tooth on my phone and I'd like a bit of a hint how to make that happen..

We like the GPS on the car, but since it will require paying for Drive Connect after a year, we will probably be using Android Auto. The disadvantage is that Android Auto only works when you have a viable data signal from your phone provider, and occasionally there are dead spots out there. It feels like Toyota wants us all to use Android Auto (or Apple ?) instead of the built in connectivity. You will laugh at how long it took me to figure out that pressing the talk/voice button can search anywhere as long as you let it know what you want regardless of what is already going on. When I first got in the car and tried to set the GPS (taking a new route home from the dealer who was 70 miles from us) I about had a nervous breakdown trying to type in the address. Then a bit later I hit the button to make a phone call and I realized that I could have done that to input the destination. The voice recognition so far works great.

I've not ever had a car this complicated, but I love driving it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Haven't tried it, but I'll bet you can just ask the gps with voice commands, but I agree that the more complicated it is, the more opportunity for error there is.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few decades back there was postulation about employees being promoted til they reached a sort-of “equilibrium of incompetence”. Something similar could be applicable to automotive complexity?

Maybe one of the manufacturers will give it a try, a simple, back-to-basics car. Would be interesting.

10. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    As long as the price was in line with the amenities, that might be a really good idea. I pretty much wiped out my savings to buy this one, but that was the plan for that savings account so I'm not complaining.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I use Apple CarPlay, but I assume that Android Auto has similar functionality:

1) To get back to the car's A/V system, there should be a Toyota Icon as one of your app choices. Hit it, and you go back to the car's system.

2) You should be able to download Google Maps for a selected area to your phone. This will allow you to use Google Maps on Android Auto without a cellular signal. I did that for a trip through northeastern California, where cellular coverage was spotty. I even keep an offline map covering my local metro because there are places with no cell coverage
    [Note: the new IOPS release (17.0) also brings this capability to Apple Maps. I used that one for my recent trip to various outlying regions of Northern and Central California].

HacksawMark likes this.
  12. Sharol

Sharol Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you so much. I'll check out the Toyota icon in the system. So much to learn. On my 10 mile trip from town I BLASTED my favorite tracks from the 2 Traveling Wilburys albums, and I really like that sound system, too, so one more thing to like.