1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 inch subwoofer in the cargo box with amp in 2008 premium jbl Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sir spends a lot, Aug 16, 2014.

1. sir spends a lot

sir spends a lot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I spent 3 weekends trying to do something I didn't think was possible. I will be doing a YouTube video of the whole install and I will be posting my schematics and parts list soon. I thought I would post this to see if anyone is wondering how to do this. This install only uses the cargo box. My spare is still in there.

Attached Files:

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    looks good. how's it sound?

3. sir spends a lot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So far it sounds like a crossover nightmare. Lots of good bass on some songs but the high low converter is not a good choice here. I sound like a teenage kid at a stop light all loud and vibrating everyones cars. It is easily 136db turned up. I will be able to tune my system once I get the head unit delivered. I can't wait to share the outcome.

Attached Files:

4. sir spends a lot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a PDF of how far I am so far without the Head Unit. I will update this later.

Attached Files:

5. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wow. lotta work going into that. I've given up and am gonna live with the jbl. its way better than what I had in my (dads) impala with the 8-track...

good write up so far. keep at it!

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found a cheap effective and convenient way of adding a sub to the JBL system. I have used a conventional amp mounted in the cargo tray, but instead of making a box for the sub I have used a ported sub used for add on TV surround sound systems.
    The amp is as listed below. I have the ED 7800 version (4 x 100 watts)
    edgecaraudio.co.uk/manuals/edge_amplifer.pdf
    The sub it from a Samsung system and is rated at 100 watts rms and has an impedance of 2 ohms. It is conveniently silver grey in color. It is versatile in that it can be placed in any position or orientation. I have the unit connected via a non reversible connector making it easy to remove if the space is needed. It really does add punch to the missing base from the JBL system even though it it is based on a 7 inch cone. These systems are also made by Sony, Hitachi, and others so old sub units are readily available.

Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg

John (Britprius)

Attached Files:

7. 07priguy

07priguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where is your ground for the amp? I will be making a similar sub box since that will take up the least amount of space. Thanks!

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The ground for the amp is at the point where the negative battery cable is fastened to the bodywork "just below the rear light". The positive feed is picked up from the positive battery terminal via a 30 amp fuse. The ready wire is picked up from the JBL amp under the "for us in the UK" drivers seat.
    I connected the audio in through 2 10k ohm resistors to each rear speaker circuit again under the drivers seat, but only grounded the screen for the input at the amp end to avoid a ground loop.

John (Britprius)

9. 07priguy

07priguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ah. I have yet to even ask as I know its out there somewhere, but I dont have the JBL or nav... Could I splice the RCAs/speaker wire into the rear door speakers to send signal to the sub amp? (I ask as that is how I was recommend to add a better sub to the Ford Raptor, as the higher the volume goes the more the bass gets cut out of the sub...the Hz range of the rear speakers > sub. Since its just a signal wire and not a power wire it doesnt need to be anything of a hefty size.)

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you can splice into the rear speaker wires for your sub but you'll need a converter unless your sub amp has speaker level inputs.

11. 07priguy

07priguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What kind of converter would it require?

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    to convert speaker level power to signal level. crutchfield can hook you up.

13. sir spends a lot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FAIL! Got my head unit 3 months later. It's a letdown. I also realized I didn't put the part in my box build to actually drill pilot holes and put screws in the speaker box. The glue and nails were made for drying. The funny part is I realized this after I blew my box bottom apart once I hooked it up to 4 volt RCA line input. I am using an axxera av614bh head unit. The steering wheel control is awesome, unfortunately it has to be reset CONSTANTLY and while I am driving.. defeats the purpose of steering wheel controls. I am assuming it's due to the voltage change in a Prius causing this. The backup camera was a fail installing this to the factory camera. The using the factory microphone worked for bluetooth, but it was very distant. I am very displeased with DUAL and Axxera brand customer support (or non support) of their product so I am not continuing my blog about the radio setup. The radios sing the "you get what you pay for" It also doesn't fit into the dash and still use bottom tray cover so it looks very aftermarket even with the dash kit. The sub and amp and door speakers are a WIN! I have the sound I was looking for and I have an extreme low end for those songs you just want to "FEEL" while you listen.

14. drulanier

drulanier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nicely done! Do you have the measurements of your box? Looking to somewhat replicate it. Thanks for the PDF guide.

15. JJsCarAudio101

JJsCarAudio101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a custom sub enclosure I built for the 2004-2009 Prius. Designed for a shallow or standard regular 10" subwoofer. You get the best of both worlds. Loud bass and full function of your cargo room. And yes stay away from Dual and Boss equipment. Its very inexpensive, but also very poorly made. Toyota Prius Trunk Full View.jpg Toyota Prius 06-09 Front.jpg