1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 prius II blinking overheating after water pump and thermostat instalt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AlsHybrid, Jan 2, 2023.

1. AlsHybrid

AlsHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone!
    12 t prius II with 138k miles.

Heat would come on after i would turn off/on once full temp reached.

Recently got 2 codes p148f and p261b
    Purchased ebay w/pump and rock auto gates thermostat. After installation while bleeding noticed boiling over from reservoir while performing it in maintenance mode once fans come on at around 215f. Pump was hard to turn. Impeller housing cracked. Radiator hoses, thermostat side was warm, other side cold. Managed to somehow finish 1st attempt. Test drove still high temp sign blinks few times the goes away, once was solid for few seconds after few blinks. Squeezed both radiator hoses while bleeding.

Things that i noticed, few drops of coolant on top of coolant reservoir. Went over many posts could not make a decision if its air or anything else. Pump was tested prior to installation. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. AlsHybrid

AlsHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Btw im in knoxville tn its around 50°f around here now

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I guess my question is do you hear the pump running sounds like you need to get some codes out of the system? Do you have that capability The dealer software is able to start the water pump and rev it up and down while the software and OBD2 dongle inserted. So I'm not sure what you're working with I had the same problem with an aftermarket pump. So I hadn't extra original Toyota pump in my arsenal of extra parts but that on then I could hear it run off the car but plugged into the car but not mounted and it seemed to work okay so I bolted it up. Filled it up to the upper mark on the jug went away and had a cup of coffee for a few minutes to try and let everything settle the car is on low ramps. Returned squeezed hoses generally was just trying to make sure coolant was getting through everywhere Make sure the level hadn't dropped in the jug it's on that upper line and then I just took it for a drive no light nothing I could smell a little bit of coolant when I was driving because of a few drops spilled here and there I knew about that after all that burn off everything seemed to heat up as normal so I just left it alone I have the end of the deal the thing came down to the full mark and we haven't added or done anything since.

4. AlsHybrid

AlsHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Tombukt2, you are right spot on!
    I had same extra used oem water pump laying around. Swapped the impeller from aftermarket one sanded shaft with 1000 grit sand paper and cleaned it. Shaft from old one was black. And BAAM,all started working as it should, was able to cycle coolant while in m/mode with cap off on reservoir. Previous set up was boiling over, not cycling i guess. Heat is on, saw all air came out and ran flush. 2 fan cycles and done. Now test drive. Will update! Thank you, thank you!!!

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That impeller is supposed to be wrapped in plastic The part that sits in the round cut out in the water pump that gets the energy through the chassis of the system of the pump that is is wrapped in plastic that plastic cracks and then things start happening I don't know if you could literally why are wheeled the plastic off of that thing clean it up and stick it back in and it will still work with the plastic off or not I haven't tried that My other water pump was in such good shape that just wiping off the plastic on the impeller where it sits in the hole was enough there wasn't any cracking on the other one on the cheap eBay pump that I bought for 80 bucks or something that impeller plastic was cracking and 10 months and most of that time the car was sitting waiting for an engine card to imagine how just the poor quality of the plastic wrap on the impeller shuts the whole thing down $80 $70 really they're going to scrounge on the plastic wrap on the impeller weird

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring