1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 V battery 2003 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MrsRadish, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MrsRadish

MrsRadish New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm trying to help an elderly friend get the best deal on a replacement battery for her 2003 Prius with about 60k miles. AFAIK, this will be the 3rd 12 V battery she's replaced, and the 2nd battery didn't last terribly long. When I requested info from a dealer I was told that " if the vehicle has the original battery a new style battery and tray are required" with the prices below.

battery:279.89 + 20.00 core

tray :56.60

Online places list the battery part number as 0054427060675 for about $120. I don't know if this is the same battery or not.

Any advice?

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I call BS on the Dealer.

Just get the same battery and ask your friend to start the car and let it sit for awhile in READY position to help keep the battery charged and healthy. Not driving the car does not help save the battery or help her put on a NEGATIVE side kill switch when not in use it will certainly save the battery but she will loose her radio stations and must unlokc the trunk manually until switch is turned back on.

There is a fella on eBay that did the upgrade but seriously no need if she drives the car allowing the battery to re-charge.

my 2 cents,

Jim