1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 V Battery Dead?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by asterothe, May 8, 2020.

1. JP4

JP4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    III

That is interesting as I am having the same (similar) problem with a 2018 Prius C out in South Haldey, MA (I used to live in the Lemon Grove part of San Diego so I totally know where the El Cajon Toyota dealer is.... but I'm too far away out here for them to help me so I have to bug you (Hope you don't mind).

When you charged your battery, did you connect the charger directly to the battery under the rear passenger seat or did you continue to use the connection point under the hood? Also, what did you use for a negative under the hood (I could not find one as depicted in the book that came with the car so I used the engine block, then the frame, then a mount - car still would not jump start or charge.)

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can use most any bolt under the hood. the charger will tell you if you have a proper connection.

ctek is one good brand, schumacher another. there are lots of them on amazon, etc. and they are inexpensive.
    just hook it up, plug it in, and leave it on except when using the car. the maintainer takes care of everything.
    you can even get a harness for the battery, if you want a quick way to connect/disconnect

JP4 and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery Tender is another popular brand and easy to find. I have A Schmacher charger and a Battery Tender.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the negative charger cable, bare metal on the engine is a very good bet. Most any substantial bolt in the body too.

A cheap continuity tester like this:

upload_2020-6-12_12-9-12.png

Is good, if you want to verify the prospective negative connection point (aka "ground") is good. Connect the tester's clamp to positive, then test various metal with the probe. If the light in the handle lights up, it's good.

jerrymildred and JP4 like this.