1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12-v. battery died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daniel, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most cars with alternators will charge the batteries at 50/60amps for a short period to bring the battery close to full charge in a short period of time. The Prius only charges maximum 4amps and so requires a much longer run time to recover from a partial discharge and it does not matter what battery is fitted be it OEM Optima or lithium if the charge time is not long enough it will end up flat.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this happened to daniel? aren't you a little seasoned to be getting dead 12v batteries? (hehe.. j/k)

there is a way to release the hatch from the inside. it's simply a PITA. you have to crawl back and get everything out of your way... lift up the bottom floor.. if you're good you can remove it... there is a access plate in the rear center of the tray on the back wall. pop that out. reach in with your palm facing the bumper and press up on the softer round piece... if you'll do it right, you'll hear the hatch lever rotate... push up on the hatch with your shoulders. if you don't life the hatch high enough at this point, it will lock back down (kinda odd to do when your hand is holding the latch.. uh... connection rod piece.. thing... it's odd)

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And if you have a smart charger, like we do on our boat, the charging will be done in stages: Bulk stage, Absorption stage, and Float stage.

Bulk stage is limited only by the ability of the charging system to produce power. For our boat, this is 100 amps from the alternator or 100 amps from shore power. Full amperage is delivered until the surface of the battery plates saturate, causing the battery voltage to rise, triggering a transition to the absorption stage.

Absorption charging is done at a constant voltage. During this stage the recharging reaction works its way deeper into the battery plates. The deeper it goes, the slower the battery can absorb charge, causing the charging current to trail off toward zero as the battery approaches a full charge. When the current reaches a low threshold, the battery is considered fully charged (or close enough), causing a transition to float.

The float stage holds the battery at a fully charged state. The charging voltage is high enough to compensate for self discharge, but not high enough to overcharge. This stage is held indefinitely, or until the battery is used and needs to be recharged.

With the Prius, all battery recharging is essentially done through float charging. This is not a very quick or effective way of recharging.

Tom

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's interesting Tom. One question I'd like to know. What is the approximate per cell constant voltage (or per battery voltage) in the absorption phase?

Thanks. :)

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It depends on the battery chemistry, but for a 12v AGM lead acid battery the absorption voltage is normally around 14.9 volts. Here is the chart from a typical charger:

[​IMG]

I didn't mention equalization in my previous description because it is not used for all batteries and normally it is only used periodically to condition a battery. Equalization is used to control the build-up of lead sulfate.

Tom

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never expected so much from this thread!

Mine definitely qualifies. I should have listened to Allan 4 years ago and bought a battery minder then.

For many years, living in rural N.D., I drove my car once a week. For the past 4 1/2 years, I've driven the Prius only when my EV (Tesla for the past half year; Xebra for the 4 years before that) could not do the job, either because of distance, or hauling capacity, or in the case of the Xebra, inability to go on the freeway.

I don't drive my gas car much.

I have a very low opinion, and therefore very low expectations of lead batteries. Maybe my driving habits, noted above, are the cause.

That sounds like a task a suitor for the princess's hand might be asked to attempt in a Monte Python movie.

In the end I decided I didn't really need to get the hatch open as long as the car was not going to run. Once the car was jump-started, I was able to open the hatch.

This all happened (or, I discovered the battery was dead) because I needed to take a new painting, bought last week in Santa Fe, to a frame shop. The painting is 3 feet by 4 feet so would never fit in the Tesla. I hate the frames that paintings are always in in art galleries. So I bought the painting without the gallery frame. Today I delivered it to a frame shop and in a week or two I should have it on my wall.