1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 v battery won't hold charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lfreeman95, Feb 25, 2015.

1. lfreeman95

lfreeman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have had a series of cold weather, with it getting into the single digits at night and 6" of snow still on the ground from a week ago. The prius is my mom's car and she doesn't use it much so it hasn't been driven since before the snow. Needless to say, when she went to use it it wouldn't start. We jumped it with my car, let it charge for a little while but it faded out and died once disconnected. Yesterday, we charged it longer and we were able to drive it around the block. I ran the diagnostic test (hold Info, turn lights on/off 3 times) and the resting voltage is 11.9 and immediately jumps to 14.5 when started. The first time we jumped it the master warning light came on as well as the "There is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism Park your your car on a flat surface and fully apply the parking brake" error. Second time, no errors.

We've called Toyota and they've said that it should be holding charge. Any ideas? Is it the cold weather? Should we take it for a drive and get the engine warm? Or should we just have it towed and let Toyota take care of it?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is this is the original battery? If so, it's way past replacement time. Also, jumpstarting and running the car is not charging it properly; you would need to hook up a smart charger in the 3~4 amp range, let it run to completion. But again, if it's original battery, just get it replaced.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it's a 9 model year old Prius?
    When was the 12 volt battery last replaced?

If it hasn't been replaced? Then that's what you need. It's old enough a vehicle, and if it isn't driven much, then even if it has been replaced, it might be time for another.

Given the symptoms you describe, and the realities of aging batteries, I don't know why any competent service department would tell you the battery "should" hold the charge. Yeah...they all "should" but the truth is at some point and passage of time, all of them won't.

Even new batteries can sometimes be defective, or connecting wires loose...

I guess the biggest concern is whether you have a different problem, but my guess, and it's only a guess, is that if you can get the vehicle started after jumping it, then it is indeed the battery. Or at least that is where you should start.

4. lfreeman95

lfreeman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, I figured that was the answer. The car does have a lot of mileage from road trips. I know I've seen quotes for upwards of $250 to replace the batteries but is that for the hybrid battery or the 12 volt? Or more simply, what should we expect to pay for a new 12 volt?

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Regardless of the age, if the 12 V battery really won't hold a charge, it needs to be replaced.
    If you shop around a bit you can get a replacement battery in the range of $175.....sometimes even OEM from a dealer for that price.
    If you find one for less than $150, it is probably a cheap Chinese knock-off and should be avoided.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the video that was posted a post or two down in this thread.
    08 Prius Dead. 12 v battery and spare tire under Ice | PriusChat

And, read what that poster went through.

Yes, you need a new 12v. Personally, for the few extra bucks, I would buy it from the dealer. You can install yourself, the video shows you how. Or get it done at the dealer. At the dealer, for the battery plus install cost, probably around $300.

Look at the dealer Web site, sometimes they have coupons off on parts (battery) or service (installation).
    Good luck.

7. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not condemn the battery until it has been on an AGM safe , automatic charger for 24 hours. If the battery was totally dead, as it would be from non use for that long, it takes time to fully recharge the battery

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True, sort of, but what we really need to know is how old the 12v is that is in the car. If it is a few years old, I would support Jon Hagen's message about charging.

If it is five years or past, and seeing the history of these Prius batteries -- and it is not a totally bad time for you to put in a new battery -- I would go with a new one. The peace of mind alone is worth it, especially when we are still in winter.

As you will see in the post I linked to above, a new 12v can be had for around $175-$200, a new hybrid battery is upwards of $3000. Dealer might be a little more, but you will be sure it fits.

Can batteries last longer? Sure. Just had one in my pickup that finally died after 12 years. But, I don't mind walking....even in February. If mom doesn't like taking chances, put in the new battery.

Jon Hagen likes this.
  9. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree totally, and being a bit of a tightwad, was not thinking it might be driven by someone who would not easily cope with a jump start or other.

Stevewoods likes this.
  10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am with you. When I open my wallet, it creaks....and with my pickup, I make do, patch, turn up the radio, do whatever it takes before I spend a penny. I knew I was on borrowed time with a 12-year-old battery, but I am cheap.

HOWEVER, my wife's Prius (yes, it is wife's) is a different matter. Everything taken care of by the book. I even put out the $$$ to buy a new genuine "Toyota" lug nut from the local dealer for the Prius after I marred changing a flat tire.

My own rig, I sort through the box of nuts I have in the garage until I find one that fits.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $150. - $400. depending on aftermarket diy or dealer oem.

12. lfreeman95

lfreeman95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here's another question. If we get it charged up a little bit by jumping it with my car, do you think it'll make it the 25~ miles to the dealer or should we just have it towed? By the way, this is a second hand car so we do not know if the battery has been replaced. She got it three years ago and it's on the same battery it came with.

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you get it to start you can drive basically as far as want. If you turn it off it might not start again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe. It depends on exactly how BAD the battery really IS.
    It would be much better to buy or borrow an external charger and leave it connected for a few hours or overnight.