1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by toolbox, Oct 9, 2004.

1. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Here in Tucson we get 2 years max out of a car battery. Every two years, like clockwork, you go to start your car and ... nothing. Not a click, not a light, not even the tiny clock on the dash will power up, nothing. No warnings prior, the day before it'll start just fine.

In my seven years in Tucson, went through three batteries, as compared to seven years in new England on one battery (All on the same Honda Accord).

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow in Tucson??

i guess batteries are just fair weather items. cant handle any extremes

3. bensherb

bensherb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, it sounds like you might be able to answer a question for me, if you haven't already. I have an '03 Prius that would seem to need yet another 12 volt battery. I've replaced it about every 3 years, that's at least twice as often as in any of my conventional cars. My '01 Tundra and '99 Honda are both on their 2nd battery. The question is; until now I could only get a battery from the Toyota dealer so there were no options other than the $200 Toyota battery. It is an AGM type, I can now get a lead acid battery for only $70. Is there any reason I can't use a lead acid battery? That $70 battery has a 3 year full replacement warrenty so if I get 2 years from one, I just trade it for a new one. Either way it would be a lot cheaper than constantly buying $200 AGM batteries. Thanks

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No reason. The battery is located in the trunk so if it is impacted in an accident and liquid acid leaks everywhere, that should not cause a problem for your rear seat passengers.

If your Classic battery cables are original equipment, you'll have to change the terminal connectors to the normal SAE size that fits most 12V batteries sold in the US.

Also note battery terminal polarity and make sure that, when the replacement battery is placed so that the terminals are closest to you, the positive terminal must be on the right (since with Classic Prius, the battery is located on the left side of the trunk.)