1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 V supply while working

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by briansterling, Jul 11, 2015.

1. briansterling

briansterling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone suggest a relatively easy way to provide 12 V power to the vehicle while troubleshooting? I've tried running it off of another vehicle but that puts wear and tear on the other vehicles alternator. Since the batteries not used for cold cranking amps's could I not just put a AC to DC converter on it? And if so how many amps would it need?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Spare 12V battery?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It depends what the situation is, in other words, are you running the engine, are you removing the 12v battery, troubleshooting what?

CR94 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about one of those emergency booster/chargers? i think they are fairly reasonable, and will serve you down the road.

or, you can just run it from the other vehicles battery, engine off, tiny drain, no wear and tear. a regular car has a much bigger battery than the prius.

5. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just buy a 120V AC to 12V DC power supply. I think they range from 15-30A. This is more or less what they use at car show floors to power all the cars on display. Basically a beefed up computer power supply. Though I don't see why a computer power supply couldn't do the trick if you're just testing stuff. I've never tried it though. So do some research!

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you have a basic understanding of electricity and how it works you can easily do what E46 described above.

Here is a link that will get you started. I suggest you check the voltages with a digital VOM before applying any current to your specific circuits you are working with.

Computer Power Supply into a Bench Power Supply | Make: