1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt Aux. battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lumpy95, Mar 3, 2017.

1. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Preface:

I bought my 2013 Prius 3 in Aug. 2013 and all has been well. This morning it wouldn’t start and all the indicators were weird so I stuck a 2 amp battery charger on the lug under the hood and to ground for about 10 minutes and all was well again. So I drove straight to the dealer and had them put in a new battery. Basically the battery lasted a little under 4 years.

Part of the problem is that I don’t drive it much ( about once a week ) so I think the Aux. 12 v battery has trouble coping with that hence my questions.
    Questions:

1- Will it hurt anything to leave a Battery Tender hooked up during the week. The Battery Tender is 1.25 Amp and is an automatic charger so it is supposed to shut off automatically after full charge and only come on as the battery needs it.
    2- Will it hurt anything from the points that I have the Battery Tender hooked too?

Attached Files:

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope won't hurt a thing tend away. That's what its made for long term battery maintenance. Your battery will thank you.

Best place is to bolt it to the jump start points up front as you surmised. Cut the clip leads off it and crimp lugs that you can slide under a bolt. Install it permanently to the car. Tie wrap it all down.

Set the tender ac plug in end up so if you forget the tender is hooked up and drive away it will just unplug the tender ac plug from the car so no matter what happens no drama.

I did that on another car I had an wife forgot about it and drove away no problem.

bisco and lumpy95 like this.
  3. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you read this thread, you will find a fantastic place to attach a positive ring type lug to:
    12v Power Terminal Cover (fuse box) | PriusChat

The negative I have connected to the bolt just to the right of where the OP's negative clamp is attached to - there's already a couple of ground wires attached to that bolt in the OP's photo, but my 2011 did not have any wires connected there.

lumpy95 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The ground point you used will work, just I do not know, it being part of the inverter case makes me nervous. But it is grounded. Anyway: I used to connect ground cable here, a bolt with little spigot, on right side of engine:

upload_2017-3-3_16-33-13.png

I've since hooked up a quick-connect cable that came with my CTEK charger, per the method used in Navy's link. Just more convenient, saves prying off the fuse box lid.

If you're charger runs through a charging program, and then shuts down, to just a trickle as needed, it should be ok to be left on indefinitely. I sometimes leave my CTEK charger on thus, for days on end.

Raytheeagle and lumpy95 like this.
  5. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at that link you provided NavyLCDR and I guess I'm missing something ( not seeing ) as to where to attach the small ring.
    Mendel, I don't think I have a long enough wire to attach the ground where you show your attachment point for ground.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The positive, ring terminal, goes under the 10mm bolt head that was exposed under the cover discussed in the linked thread.

The bolt anchors a heavy gauge wire connecting the 12v auxiliary battery positive terminal to the fusebox. Therefore, it can essentially be treated as the positive terminal of the battery.

lumpy95 likes this.
  7. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're going to wrench on that bolt, disconnect the ground wire of the 12v auxiliary battery in the hatch from the body ground point first. That bolt is always +12v live when the battery is connected.

9. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the "Heads Up".

Raytheeagle and xliderider like this.
  10. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the photos in the OP, charging.jpg, there are already ground wires connected there which appears to be something part of the vehicle from Toyota.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More likely aftermarket. I think that same point is in my pic, originally a conduit hold-down point?

12. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is nothing "aftermarket" on my Prius so it came from the factory with those wires hooked up there. Evidently a difference in the years of your/my Prius.
    Anyway, the general consensus is that it will work ok as I have it in the photos. My main concern will be the dust buildup out here in the desert inside the box so I may need to throw a rag or something over the box if I don't attach the rings as previously mentioned.

#12 lumpy95, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No bolt it in so you can permanently put the cover back on. Sometimes you may have to nibble a little hole in the cover edge to snake the wires.Tie wrap the charger in the engine compartment. Dangle the ac cord end about 8 inches form the ground and secure that tender side of the plug so it can not be pulled out. Then to charge just open the hood....throw the ac ext cord under the car...reach down and grab it through the engine compartment ...plug it in to the dangling end just far enough to turn on the charger on and close the hood. I don't own a G3 so not sure if you can see pavement anywhere in the engine compartment as the bottom cover may cover the whole engine area. if so my plan may not work then. Not sure how extensive that bottom cover is. My plan is good only because nothing is bolted to the car like a fixed charger ac plug.

When you want to drive away just give the power cord a little tug from outside the car. Don't even have to open the hood. Ext card pulls away form the tender ac end and you can drive away.

14. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, that was all the bolt was doing on my car too. That's why I picked that particular one, it definitely was not doing anything for the inverter case itself, just there for the conduit clamp only.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will have to look at that when I go to the garage to see if there is access.

16. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about that; might be a little bit too warm for the charger..../

17. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At this point in time, I have just thrown some paper towels over the fusebox area and propped the hood up enough for clearance.
    Adding the ringlets as discussed earlier would be the ideal solution so that I could just plug in the charger after driving but my concern is that when I do as xliderider mentioned ( disconnecting the ground in the rear hatch area ) I assume that everything will have to be re-programmed, ie the windows and whatever else needs to be reset ( I don't have a clue as to what all will need resetting ) after the aux battery is un-grounded.
    Another thing is that so far, I don't see the 10 mm bolt and wire coming into the positive lug.

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the link, @NutzAboutBolts provides a video on how to get the cover off the 12 volt positive terminal, here:

12v Power Terminal Cover (fuse box) | Page 2 | PriusChat

I got the cover off (after some struggle, and disconnected the 12 volt before taking the bolt off the terminal to put on a charger quick connect spade connector. When I hooked the battery back up, I basically needed to:

1. Reset the dash clock.
    2. Didn't need to reset window auto-up, but you may need to. What you do: push and hold the window to run it right down. Push and hold window to run it right up. Continue to hold up switch for a couple more seconds.
    3. Reset radio presets. (as much as you care)

The first time I restarted the car after the battery disconnect, it behaved a little "weird". Told me something about shifting to Neutral, maybe? Some nonsensical "Prius" message. I shut it down and restarted, and it was ok the second time. Then, within about a minute of start up, revs shot up quite high, for a few seconds, then went back to normal. I got the sense it was calibrating something, not sure.

BTW: I see those ground wires on nutzaboutbolts' vehicle, the ones I don't have on mine. Guess it depends on the year, US vs Can, headlight config or something:

upload_2017-3-4_9-47-26.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So if I understand this correctly, the lug that my Battery Tender Positive cable is connected to in charging.jpg, is fed by the cable depicted in the video ( underneath that cover at the opposite end of the fuse box )?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, gotta be.