1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery cost 275.00 2005 Prius W

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by k4141222, Mar 5, 2007.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 Gen 2 with about 79,000 miles. The 7 year old car wouldn’t start yesterday morning, I pushed the start button and it behaved funny, several lights flashed in different sequences, it showed my gas guage being full then being at 1 bar, it showed the boxes that go over the gear indicators all lightup at the same time, and ofcourse the car didn’t start. I turned on an interior light and noticed that it was dull.
    After some youtubing, I was able to jump start my car from my wife’s 2010 Prius. I figured it was just a dead battery so I drove to work no problem, to lunch and back to work, no problem, and home no problem.

The next morning: same thing. I jumped the car then did the battery test via the diagnostics menu: in accessory mode it was reading 11.9 v. I figured it was time for a new battery: I contacted Firestone, they indicated that they can’t do Prius batterys. I got an appointment at the dealership, the battery cost 199.99, labor 15 bucks, and tax etc. brought the total to 232.21.

Before dropping it off, I asked the guy if there was a test they can do on the hybrid battery, because I am close to my warrenty expiring (I have had the car for about 7 years and 6 months). He said: Oh, we never have problems with hybrid batteries. I said: well can you check. He said: They extended the warrenties to 10 years…. At this point I knew he was lazy and full of it, even if they did extend warrenties for new cars, I know mine was 8 years and they won’t give me extra time because they are nice. Then he said: with your new battery, we’ll do an electronics test, but that’s not specific to the hybrid battery and that’s all we can do. I don’t believe him …

Anyway, I have the new 12 v. battery and it reads 12.8 v in the diagnostic screen. Let’s see if I can go to work tomorrow. All things considered, the original battery did last 7 years, which I am happy with.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jump starting a Prius with a Prius :eek: Oh the Horror! Lolz.

That's very scary. Do everything you can not to do that again.
    Go to Sears and buy a battery charger. There cheap.

The dealer charge for a new battery is not bad at all. Seen much worse. And yes the dealer can examine the Hybrid battery. Its usually a diagnostic fee around $125 to hook up there Toyota Techstream laptop. Its easy for them it just plugs into the OBD port. They can check rate of charge on a test ride, and alot of other variables such as each individual module voltage. Get that module voltage and post back here.

Good Luck

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Testing the hybrid battery in situ is not straight-forward and leaves room for interpretation. Basically, if you do not have a red triangle for a bad hybrid battery, there is NOTHING that a dealership can or will do to replace the battery under warranty. There is no point in having it tested, being a waste of their time and your money.

4. zipppychick

zipppychick New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the 2005 prius 12v battery at Battery Warehouse in Leesburg, VA yesterday. I got some glass technology made in the USA Dekka battery with installation for $225 + tax. Toyota dealership wanted $325. I was told they removed the original battery so it was time. Note that this ultimately did not solve my problem, which occured again today- which is apparently due to the extreme cold weather and apparently is caused by a faulty combination meter (?) which malfunctions in the cold and turns off the odometer, speedometer and all dashboard lights while also disabling the lift gate and power-off button. So before you waste cash on a new battery that isnt the problem, check the temperature. this battery and car have been fine at all temperatures above 30 degrees.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also agree... Most concerns raised about the Prius battery are fear-based and unproven. It's as simple as getting a battery that fits securely in the space allowed. The confusion/profit is that a Prius battery never turns a starter so Prius drivers can go way longer on an old battery than a battery in a car with a starter...

But because the battery is a different shape and serves a less demanding purpose capitalism manipulates the confusion by charging twice as much for a battery that's only half as good as a regular car battery. Here's the one I'll be buying soon unless someone proves it not to be the best... WKA12-55C/FR 12V 55Ah Werker AGM Flame Retardant Battery - STEEPCLIMBER - Solo Wheelchairs - Wheelchair or Mobility - Batteries Plus It's from Batteries plus for $124 and I've seen 'em online for as cheap as $75 but once you figure in shipping and the risk of being sent the wrong one or a bad one through the mail, I'd rather buy at a chain store that can be found everywhere I drive.

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not doubting your words Seilerts but a system just announced in the UK when the car reaches the end of the normal HV battery guaranty "be it at 100,000 miles or 8 years" you can now pay a test fee (not announced yet), and if your car passes you get an extended 1 year 15,000 mile guaranty. This carries on till the car fails the test.

John (Britprius).

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a Gen I and I have a "Triangle". To test the cells in situ can I take off the trunk covers, remove the back seat and the cover from the battery pack and then do the test - or is it even more difficult than that?

Mike