1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Battery Intermittently Dies

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Robert Vary, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Robert Vary

Robert Vary New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've had to jump start my 2012 Prius twice in the past 1 1/2 months. The first time was after it had been sitting for a couple weeks while we were on vacation. The second time was after a couple days of heavy rain. I don't know if these events had anything to do with it. I've hooked up a charger and the meter has been indicating that the battery is holding a charge.

What could cause the drainage? Is the battery starting to die? As far as I know it's the original battery.

2. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have to "load" test your battery. If it IS the original battery, yes, you need to replace it. Usual life is only 5 years. You got 7 so that is pretty good.

Grit, Pluggo and tankyuong like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you would have to measure the drain with the car off and compare to toyota spec in the repair manual.

if you're keeping the car, replace the battery and go from there. hopefully, that solves it. once you drain these little batteries, they don't recover well.

Grit likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Regular wear and tear not able to hold stable charge NE more. 12v bat will typically last 5 years, yours is original and got 7 years out of it, great run. I’d shop around now for best price with some time left to spare if it’s my bat.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the charger?

Yeah concur with others: Appreciate that batteries are expendables, and they gradually deteriorate, with years and abuse.

Read up a bit, lots of 12 volt info.