1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hybrid3000, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Hello everyone,

Last night I went to bring the prius out of the garage and upon pressing the brakes and pressing the start button, the button turned orange, a yellow flashy triangle appeared or I just noticed it was there but I tried once again and the car made an alarm noise. I noticed one of the doors on the right passenger side was not fully closed, could this have drained the 12v battery? This morning everything is completely dead, no indication of anything.

Should I buy a charger online to charge the 12v, or just buy a new battery? (I know nothing about charging batteries) Could this problem be non 12v battery related?

I read in other threads the yellow triangle means the 5k expensive battery is dead, I'm really paranoid right now as to what I should do next..

I purchased this prius 2 months and some days ago, still have the 3 month warranty from the dealer.

Please help a number out, thank you

2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Take 12v battery to dealer and have them test it.
    IF it is no good, have to buy new one....start there.

IF it is good, hmmm. let that dealer know that you need to use the warranty :)

IF you have a multimeter, test the batt yourself.

Keep us updated and let us know what happens.

3. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know whether AutoZone, Advance AutoParts, etc., lend jump starters? They certainly sell them, as do Lowes, Home Depot, and probably many other stores.

To the OP: If you buy or borrow a jump starter, make sure you connect it correctly: +ve (red) to +ve, -ve (black) to -ve. If you have a AAA membership, you should be able to have them come and jump-start the car, or, if necessary, arrange for a tow to the dealer.

How long had the car been sitting with the door not fully closed? If it had been a while, the HV battery could have become discharged too, as the HV battery tries to keep the 12V battery charged: there is no separate charging circuit for the 12V battery.

4. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    thanks for your response. However, after reading about 10 different threads and countless pages here over and over. I bought a 2a trickle charger maintainer to charge the battery separately, since the prius isn't a daily driver.

My question is is it safer to remove the battery altogether and then charge it or can I charge it via the fuse box?

5. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A couple of days with a door ajar will knock out the 12-volt, but NOT the big battery, which is totally disconnected when the car is not in READY state.

7. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thank GOD. I'm already in panicking mode, I really don't wanna have to be worrying about hv battery now. I've purchased a 2a die hard trickle charger to charge the battery when it gets here in 1 day, should I just have bought a new battery? Do you reccomend anything, Amazon has $150 delacorte battery for prius..

8. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Trickle charger will charge the dead batt in maybe 24 hrs give/take. (did it on a pathfinder batt many times)
    IF the batt is still good (should be if that is the issue with door ajar)

I actually just hooked up my 2amp, under the hood in fuse box.
    That point should be fine to trickle, or to charge now.
    Just make sure about the RED (to the fuse box point) and BLACK (to ground on engine or another body part without paint)

If you got the $8 one from amazon(same as I have) try to test it on something first, as
    some reviews say that it came wired backwards!!!!

After the batt is charged, should be ok with the faults etc.
    Please keep us updated.

and do you have a 2011?

9. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For getting a new batt, worry about that after this is taken care of.
    Lets hope it is just the 12v from door ajar

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the charger doesn't work, or even if it does, you might want to get a new battery unless you know the one you have isn't too old

11. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    It is a 2011 prius 2. Honestly, I'm contemplating between getting a portable jumper or a trickle charger both near the 50 dollar range. Do you think it's safer to charge it rather the jump?

Here is the portable jumper I'm thinking on:

Thank you for your help so far.

12. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Honestly I want to be smart about my funds so I'm in between either getting a battery charger, a portable jumper or a new battery (which I have no idea which one to go for.) Any suggestions will be appreciated, also, their is a Delraco brand on Amazon going for $160, Is this an ok batt? Which 12v do you guys here at Priuschat roll around with?

13. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Should I just jump start it with my cables? The only way to get to the battery is through the back by attaching the wires to the actual battery, is this a good idea guys? I'm paranoid as hell by reading all the stuff here on jump gone wrongs and inverters frying.

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Buy a portable jump pack that has the smart cables;).

I also have a trickle charger :).

But the jump pack can also help another motorist in need, so it is useful(y).

edc415 and Robert Holt like this.
  15. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Tough decision

If it were me, i would opt for a trickle($7.99) and a jump pack($29.99) that would total $40 together.
    That way, if it is only the 12v, you should be able to milk it for a little bit,
    but you also have the jump pack to carry with you at all times just in case.

Also $40-50 now, rather than shoot for $200 or so for new 12v and it is not the 12v, ugg!

More than likely the 12v died and you just need a jump. Dont worry about other stuff.

16. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is the jump pack I have sitting in my cart for when im ready to pull the trigger
    jump pack
    $30
    The prius does not need a huge beefy jump start to start.
    It just needs the 12v juice to power up to get in Ready mode so the HV batt can do its job.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’ll work for the Prius;).

And for a lot of other cars too:).

Pull the trigger (y).

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it was me, I'd buy the jump start pack. Either way, you or someone else you know will eventually need a jump. Jump your 12v to see if it can hold charge first, and drive for a while after the 1st jump so it can be fully charge if still in good health. I have a JNCAIR pack that can jump V8 diesel trucks successfully couple of times. Fortunately I've yet jump my own vehicles w/it since purchased, not sure if that's a curse or a blessing.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Hybrid3000

Hybrid3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    That is exactly the one I posted in a reply to you but the link didn't show up, I just ordered it, thanks to your confirmation. Is it pretty much plug and play through the fuse box? Or are their specific settings you have to tune it to?

It doesn't mention anything about polarity protection but it does say the clamps are smart haha.

20. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sweet.

It does say reverse polarity protection is a feature of the smart intelligent clamps
    look in the photos

I just ordered one myself :)

When u open your hood, look at far right towards back, there is a fuse box lid.
    Take that off and there is a Red cover that you flip over, that is your positive connection/red clamp.
    You then take your negative/black clamp and clamp on your engine block. should be a nice spot somewhere.

Other than that, maybe keeping it connected until you get a dome light inside car.
    Then see if you can put it in Ready mode (foot on brake and press power button)

If it goes into Ready mode, should be all good. Check dash for any warning lights etc.
    Disconnect jump pack, flip back over the red thingy, then put fuse box cover back on.
    Close hood, then possibly go for a nice drive.
    *Hint keep jump pack in the car from here on out.
    Read up on getting 12v battery replaced in the future.

Trickle charge if you ended up getting one. At least overnight.
    then keep an eye on batt.
    I think a voltmeter would be a possible purchase for $5 or so until you get a new 12v