1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by austingreen, Dec 5, 2011.

1. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    all depends on your skills but really not that hard at all ... you need to make sure the leads are fastened properly.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I originally bought a Yellow Top as replacement for my 2008, replacing because of age, not because it was failing. However after having issues with the Yellow Top, I returned it and put back the original battery from 2008. Still running strong, just monitoring the voltages and charging it when necessary.

3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'M A BELIEVER!!! Installed the Optima Yellow Top this afternoon and took the 2004 out for two different drives. First trip I drove it hard (for me) and second trip mostly on cruise control. Before the 12v battery change-out, I was down to 41 or 42 mpg. With the new battery both trips were between 48 and 49 mpg! I know others have reported results like this, but I had to see it for myself. WOW!

Bill the Engineer

Silver Pine Mica and sfv41901 like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ As an engineer, would you agree: any new battery would give your performance a boost? I mean, the OEM battery had hung in there for 10 years. I'm inclined to go OEM, just less adventurous ;)

5. tls1

tls1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2011 is 3.5 years old and it always started up with no problem but today the dealer said the battery was low and causing the computer to do strange things like make the brake pedal go to the floor upon start up. The Dealer wanted $365 so I got a 5 year warranty battery from my local parts store for $160. My pedal still goes to the floor when starting up but stops fine while driving. It is not setting any codes now although it did before I took it to the dealer who did the flash recall.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always gotten at least 5 years out of a car battery, but I used to open it up and inspect fluid levels after the first couple of years. Evaporation of the acid solution is why most batteries die early. Less fluid = higher acid concentration = faster dissolving of lead plates. Keep the fluid levels topped off and you not only get the full output of each cells, but you prolong the plate life by negating unusual acid wear. I don't think I've seen a battery last 10 years, though.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ The Prius OEM battery is a bit different though, doesn't have free-flowing electrolyte, so not sure about that level check. It has some sort of fiber soaked with electrolyte.

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. Gel-Acid was popular for a short time (smaller size but 100% sealed...no inspection ports). Any battery lacking inspection/service ports can't be serviced. Any battery with those ports (even if it's called a sealed battery) can be serviced annually. They just label them as such to keep the unskilled from getting themselves hurt tinkering with them (not to mention the battery needs replacement sooner).

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That type of battery is called AGM......Absorbed Glass Matt, I think.
    The design greatly reduces sulphation and the gasses created are re-absorbed too.
    The battery is totally sealed and requires no service.......ever.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to follow up. I replaced my second battery yesterday. I put in a bosch, that pep boys had in stock to fit the prius. They had a sale, 25% off parts over $100, so $154, which seemed like a good deal. I just wonder if something in my car, some electrical problem is killing batteries, or if I just have been unlucky with the 2 toyota gave me. This one comes with a 3 year full replacement warranty.

First battery died slowly in 2 years. It did recharge after taking jumps, but then would need a jump start again if the car sat too long. The dealer replaced it for free. This one is just under 3 years old. I never had a problem until it would not start. But then it had this strong sulfur smell, and was at 11.6 volts.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There probably are some other threads on here about this already.

Hybrids in general seem to have 12 V batteries that are too small for the usage patterns of some drivers.
    Similar problems crop up often in the Ford and GM hybrid forums too.

IF your car sits unused for more than 3 days in a row AND then it is used mainly for short trips......say 5 miles or less.....
    you are a good candidate for connecting a battery tender to it when it is not in use.

You should, of course, have some simple voltage measurements done to be sure that the battery IS being charged while the car is running but odds are that it IS.

My Fusion Hybrid is sitting in the garage with a tender connected right now.
    After sitting for about 3 days, it takes the tender about 6 hours to pump the battery back up to "full".

I don't expect to have a problem with my Prius C because it gets driven about every day and the trips average more than 10 miles.

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks
    Its very hot here. The battery sat 2 days at the airport last weekend. It started up fine, but who knows that down time in the heat could have caused the failure. hopefully the new bosche in my car is more suited. At least its easier getting a free replacement from pep boys than toyota. I do travel for more than a week at a time, where the car would sit. It has always started from the airport though. This last time was the week after the trip.

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You REALLY need to check the charging voltage.
    AND making sure it is fully charged before parking it will help too.......like having a tender on it the night before.
    In addition to the heat, letting it sit partly discharged is really hard on them.