1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Battery Suppliers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SlyCorona, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SlyCorona

SlyCorona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Connecticut; have a 2005 Prius with 187,000 miles. The 12 volt battery has never given me a problem but its 7 years old so I believe I am on barrowed time and winter is approaching. I know it's a vented battery and the dealer cost was around $250. To me this is very expensive for a small 12 volt battery.

1) Does anyone sell a vented aftermarket battery?
    2) Has anyone bought a dealer battery over the internet at a much better price?

All advice is appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) Optima - many posts about that.

2) I believe that you will find that the dealers which accept Internet orders will not ship the battery because it is considered a hazardous substance.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Advance Auto was shipping the Optima...their packaging was absolutely terrible though. The box I got mine in was punched full of holes from the terminals.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is a CT dealer that often runs a 12v battery sale - $180 installed. They are not my favorite dealer, but this is a good deal on the OE battery at Colonial Toyota in Milford CT. Check their web site to see if the sale price is currently available.

I had them install an OE 12v battery in my Son-in-Law's Prius and it was fine. I installed the drop-in replacement Optima Yellow Top in my 2004 Prius for a bit less, but the installation was not included.

JeffD

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recommend you not think of the $250 you would be spending but rater how much your Prius saves you. While it is twice that a conventional battery would cost, spending that every seven years isn't so bad.