1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery well rusted out- Houston, we've got a problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrust, Feb 10, 2018.

1. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought I'd share this. Went to replace the battery when car died- not too worried as it was long overdue. As I looked into battery well I see daylight (not good). I hoist out battery and peer down into battery well. The bottom of well completely GONE- as in rusted out. Battery must have been sitting on chassis below the well to keep it from dangling onto street. Not sure how to deal with this.....don't want to spend a fortune. Perhaps some metal straps supporting a rectangular metal plate for battery to sit on- not sure.
    Pic #1 is of normal battery well
    Pic #2 is what is left of the metal prius body- the bottom of the battery well- bolted on to the battery clamp assembly. Any suggestions welcome. 2004 Prius with 110,000 miles.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

a lot of gen 2's have water leakage through the rain gutter. you could rivet in some sheet metal.

priusrust likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks- sounds like best bet. Though always a little paranoid drilling into metal when not 100% sure what is behind it. I think I'll fabricate a little hole in plate with nipple (to keep water from entering) for any water to drain. That 'flex seal' infomercial comes to mind! Maybe I'll paint the whole battery well with the stuff after riveting in the sheet metal w/bracket. I'm not sure if damage was cause from moisture from above or below....likely above. Thanks again. So much for quick battery change.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people have been surprised over the years. cheap your spare tire well and hybrid battery area also.

M in KC and priusrust like this.
  6. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

#6 priusrust, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Appreciate these links, but the whole bottom of the battery well is simply gone! As in I'm looking at the road and chassis-simple battery tray won't do it. I'll use the standard prius battery clamp assembly bolted to fabricated sheet metal bottom I guess. Also, I don't have a smart key- hence my battery was smaller and the clamp assembly tray is also smaller. Prius batteries (non-Toyota) seem to all be the larger smart key version. (same height ,width, just a bit longer) ...so I'll get the larger tray from toyota. Stong deja-vu here......I had a 1988 Toyota cargo van.....engine would not die- great travel vehicle.....finally rust ate it up.[

8. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a clear picture of the carnage. Yes, that is the chassis and the road you are looking at where the bottom of the battery well should be....ugly. Think I found problem, rear wheel 'mudflap' (?) is missing. All the salty winter water spray has been blasting bottom of battery well. Current plan of attack: 1) wire wheel away loose rust 2) clean with alch & rag 3) apply ospho- I used to fish in Alaska, this stuff works great on rusting ships 4) paint 5) fabricate sheet metal pan with large 'tabs' up sides 6) bolt on prius battery clamp assembly to pan 7) paint pan 7) undercoat pan 8) rivel two cradling steel straps under pan to attach to sides 9) rivet pan tabs, steel straps in place 10) replace mud flap!!! :eek:
    p.s. appreciate all the suggestions! In a way, I'm glad I discovered the problem when I did -2 blocks from sheet metal shop. 2 months back, I was driving in unpopulated Maine backcountry at midnight (returning from CAN). Battery falling out onto road might have been problematic.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of well cared for g2s leak at the rivet area where the quarter panel meet the roof at the hatch valley
    Upper corners. Hairline cracks all the way up the roof edge under the black plastic strips. You can just pop off those black strips and look. I believe it comes from slamming the hatch closed.

Anyway.....you have been driving around with a swimming pool in your battery well. Should have heard the sloshing. Take the spare tire out that’s rusted out too.
    To anyone reading this if your car is garaged I recommend you take the rubber plugs out of the battery well and under the spare tire so water can drain out. I also sprayed grease in the battery well so it’s oretty greasy
    So cannot rust.
    If you park outside you may get rodent infestation with plugs missing. I would double side tape secure a few mousetraps in the hatch area and pull the plugs. Mice love the Prius. The wires are delicious.

priusrust likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And most importantly look in the hatch once in a while. Get a flashlight and look in the 2 wells
    To see how bad the leaks are. Mind is minor as I garage the car. But pulled the drain plugs in the battery well.

Mendel Leisk and priusrust like this.
  11. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Appreciate response, but in my case I do not think it is a leak. Raining pretty hard yesterday, and did not see anything. Does the Prius have a mud flap? Right behind my rear tire behind the lower outside of car is open! In other words, the salt spray/ gravel kicked up from tire would kick up and hit battery well bottom. If there is still a leak, I'm planning to install a little hole w/ plastic nipple to drain any water from new pan just in case. My tire well is fine (phew!)...... Been formulating solution in my mind. I have to keep in mind car bounces and battery is heavy- so I really have to secure things.
    1) with wire wheel grind rust off
    2) wipe clean with alch soaked rags and apply 'Ospho' (though it's hard to find)
    3) paint with rustoleum
    4) construct cardboard mock up of pan design.
    5) Will attach battery clamp assembly to bottom pan. Also want 2 metal straps cradling clamp assembly sandwiched between assembly and sheet metal pan- running up over edge to be riveted to horizontal surface over the lip of well. Sheet metal will have large 'tabs' running up sides to rivet on (getting washer behind rivet may be problematic)
    Have sheet metal fabricators duplicate cardboard mock up
    6) paint every thing.....rubber undercoat underside.
    7) attach- love this Prius- will not surrender to rust
    8) open a limited release 'Black Chocolate Russian Imperial Stout' by Brooklyn Brewery. Drink slow, and only one- 10% ALC by volume.

rbdigital likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of one rusting from the outside, but anything is possible.

priusrust likes this.
  13. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - Not 100% sure of it rusting from outside, just noticed no mudflap. Correction, the outside of battery well acted as the mudflap. Also, saw no water trickling into battery well in steady rain. Also, last time vehicle was jacked up......lots of general surface rust. This summer I'll be under there with 3" crimped wire wheel attached to a Makita, Ospho, and Rustoleum flat black....

All that said, I'll take precautions re the leakage Gen 2's experience, and silicone referred to areas....

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    surface rust is a major problem, but idk if it has ever lead to any repairs. not sure on the mudflap, what about the drivers side?

priusrust likes this.
  15. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    both rear flaps missing......maybe they were never there? Just got some from ebay at good price- $10 each....Toyota stock.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mudflap are usually an option, but not sure.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let’s see some pictures of the undercarriage. I wouldn’t bother With wire wheel and all underneath that’s a lot of work and will not accomplish much. It’s surface rust.

If it was me I would abandon the hole and mount the battery where the spare tire is.
    Buy a tire cover and put the spare tire in the back of the car. Fill the hole full of poly foam.

It bums me out to see something like this as it’s very easy to mitigate. Lubrication.
    Spray grease. If you had hosed the suspension down with spray grease and grease the shite out of the battery area it would have no rust. They sell an excellent product called CSP at Home Depot.

ITs Corrosion Stop Prevention spray. Works great. Spray grease does not smell stays where you soray it.
    Not a spot of rust anywhere on my cars. Works great. Cars are all about lubrication.
    When I see people on here washing there engine compartments I chuckle.

If the tin is rotted out like that up top the front suspension is probably totaled with rust damage.
    Show us some horrifying pictures of down under.

priusrust likes this.
  18. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $10 each....Toyota stock......(ebay)

I think I need more though.....I need to fill where the 'cutouts' are.... these are welcome though.

Attached Files:

19. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks- good info.

~CSP new to me- thanks!....I agree re benefits of grease....in good ole days, people used to spray underside of auto with dirty -used motor oil. No rust. Bought this car last summer- new to me- so preventative grease 'should -haves' beyond my control.. 2004 with 105,000 miles.

~ wire wheel underneath labor of love. Wire wheel will go quick, ospho will wipe on quick, black rustoleum will brush on relatively quick. Surface rust progresses....as Neil Young says- rust never sleeps. Peace of mind well worth it. I learned my lesson with an old 1988 Toyota van. Engine was a gem -typical Toyota...great Travel vehicle.....rust took her from me. So now, I've learned to stay in constant combat mode. See rust- treat rust.

~ battery in tire space is an idea....but I would invariably having to tweak unexpected aspects: longer cables, etc.... so time /effort saving may not pan out (?)

~ more horrifying pics?! actually, bottom of battery well is it for carnage. It either filled with water- or else played 'mud flap' and took brunt of salt/ grit/ water spray.

Actually this sort of thing not unusual with New England winters. good info- thanks!

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure, but it sounds like the plastic mudguard in the rear 1/4 of the wheel well may be missing. Rather than try and describe it in words. I have attached some photos of what it should look like. These are all taken from below the muffler in line with the RR wheel looking towards the back. Tried to get a good view of the mudguard piece.

The mud-flaps you bought will attach to the bottom of the quarter panel and extend from the mudguard. If the mudguard is missing, I don't think the mud-flaps will help. In photos you can see the rear air dam which also goes to, and attaches at, the bottom of the 1/4 panel. The mud-flaps attach here, too.

Hope that helps.

IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3800.JPG

#20 dolj, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    priusrust likes this.