1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by andyprius, Apr 6, 2012.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For all you Veteran PIP owners. What is the self check for the 12V ? When I pick mine up I would like to know its condition without getting out my meter and fiddling with the fuse box. :cheer2:

2. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY, but I know the Gen 2 and 3 procedure, Is there a info button on the PIP? Has nobody tried this??? Edit: After looking closely at the dash of the Pip for sale on Ebay, I could see no info button, ( that is how you access the 12V SOC ) Has nobody played around with the Multi-functional display????????

4. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Getting at the battery itself only takes a minute. Then you an test it with a multimeter. You open the access to the storage for the charging cord, then you lift off the small cover in the right rear corner of the cargo area, then you lift off the storage tray which is just under that. The 12v battery is exposed and easily accessed.

I have permanently connected a Battery Tender. I occasionally plug it in. When the light turns green, I know the 12v battery is fully charged.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thankyou for your reply, however that was not the question. I have owned a Prius for 7 years and am well aquainted with its' trunk, hatch and battery location.
    When I pick up my Pip, I hardly want to disassemble the vehicle in front of the salesman before I have actually made a $$$ commitment. Glad to hear of your battery tender tho, that is a good idea! :rockon:

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Andy, I also have owned a Prius for six years. The PiP 12v battery is MUCH easier to access than earlier models. I was not exaggerating when I said it takes only a minute. It is as easy or simpler than accessing the front fuse box. You could do it in front of a salesman with a minimum of disruption.

1 person likes this.
  7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes! it has been moved in the plug-in to the right rear really easy to see and check!

1 person likes this.
  8. psusi

psusi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you feel the need to test the battery before you have even bought the car why?

Seriously, get the car home for at least a few months before you worry about this, it should be fine for at least 2 years anyhow.

1 person likes this.
  9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the replies. My 2005 12V failed in the first year. No guarantees, warranties on battery on new car. As in my case, they will replace for customer satisfaction. But there is no guarantee on that either. Good to hear that access is easier now!..............I suspect battery is identical to previous generations. :rockon:

10. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have verified this procedure for checking the 12v Battery Voltage in my PiP Advanced:

1. Foot off Brake Pedal
    2. Push POWER Button twice
    3. Hold in INFO button on right of NAV display while doing next step.
    4. Turn Headlights On and Off three times. - Menu comes up.
    5. Press "Function Check/Settings" on NAV display.
    6. Press "Vehicle Signal" on NAV display.
    Battery Voltage is displayed - mine said 12.2V
    7. Place Foot on Brake Pedal and Press POWER button turning on the car.
    8. My Battery Voltage then said 14.4V.
    9. Press POWER button to turn off car.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thing that I would add to jbrad4 is on your first check with the Service Menu is to check with a voltmeter right at the battery terminals.

On my car the Service Menu reads 0.7V lower than with a voltmeter right at the battery terminals. This could make a big difference in determining a good battery from a bad battery.

12. Yoshe

Yoshe Just Remember

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    OK jbrad4. Where in the "heck" did you find that nugget of information? That is a beautiful thing. Are the steps the same for the "base" model? I will give it a go when I get home.

13. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks Jbrad!
    This belongs in a Sticky!

Don't Mess with Texas!

14. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Remember that when you start the car, the voltage reading is the charging level not the voltage of the 12v battery. The 12v battery is charged by the traction battery when the car is in "READY".

This is an interesting process but checking the voltage at the battery is just as simple and is more direct.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's always been in the the right rear of the Gen 2 and 3.

I forgot to look at the 12 volt battery placement in the PiP, but when I've looked at the back of Gen 3s, there's a LOT less stuff in the way of the 12 volt on the Gen 3 vs. Gen 2. Changing the 12 volt on the Gen 3 looks a LOT easier. (Did it myself on my Gen 2.)

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good, same procedure as before..Thanks.

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TO: JBrad4 For a brand new car, 12.2 Volts is not terribly impressive. Can you account for any reason why it is not at least 12.6 to 12.8. Do you use a lot of accesories? Not a critisicm! On my 05 I had a reading of 12.2 for months on end. Finally I disconnected/ or did not use all courtesy lights, this boosted my quiecient level up to 12.5. Probably do the same on the PIP. I never used any accessories unless in ready. Of course charging rate is always ~ 14 V. It would really be sensible for Toyota to devote a page or two in thier owners manual dedicated to the deficiencies of this battery. I think it is the sacrificial lamb of the design. It appears as tho the battery is exactly the same as previous generations. :D

20. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I and several others have compared the voltage shown in the service menu (though not always on a Plug-in, the systems are probably very similar, if not identical). The voltages can vary quite a bit at the battery compared to what the service menu shows. In my case, the service menu showed 11.5V while the battery measured 12.2V.

Also keep in mind that the battery is under a load of probably 10 Amps or so to power the various computers. Every place that tells you to judge battery charge by voltage will (or should) also tell you that the battery must be unloaded, and be at rest for probably at least an hour or so before you measure the voltage for an accurate result.

Even just opening the trunk to access the battery will put it under a load (for the various interior lights, and computers for the SKS and other systems, even if all the lights are turned off). Popping the trunk, you'll probably have to open the driver's door, which runs the pump to pressurize the brake system.

So to get an accurate result, I suggest you sleep overnight in the back of the Prius with a multimeter. Have a family member lock you inside, and take the key fob with them. When you wake up in the morning, you can dig into the battery compartment and measure the voltage to get a good reading. :D

1 person likes this.