1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt hybrid battery vs 12 volt standard battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rob P!, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Rob P!

Rob P! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just came from a Toyota dealership wanting to purchase a lifetime battery (meaning it would be replaced after it's life expectancy for free) who told be there is a significant difference between a 12 volt hybrid and 12 volt standard battery. All I'm looking to do is replace and older 12 volt battery since it's starting to lose voltage being 4 years old. Is there really a difference between the two types or is this just hogwash? It's going into a 2010 Prius. The hybrid battery itself had already been replaced about 8 months ago.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hogwash!

there's one hybrid battery (not 12 volts) and one 12 volt battery. but i don't know of any 12v batteries with a lifetime warranty.
    the toyota replacement is tru start, around $200. plus tax and installation charge, and has an 8 year warraty. 2 years free replacement, and 6 years pro rata

kenoarto and Ed Beaty like this.
  3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well there usually is a difference although the guy at the dealership didn't explain it very well. Most Toyota hybrids (including your 2010) have the 12v battery in the rear of the main compartment rather than under the hood. Because of that, a type of battery called AGM is required. AGM batteries release fewer gasses, are more expensive but may last longer than standard batteries (debatable).

Just to confuse things, Toyota apparently excludes all hybrid batteries, no matter where in the vehicle they are, from the lifetime battery deal that they offer. Maybe it is not just the AGM. Maybe it is the higher cost or that 12v batteries in hybrids tend to be a different size that most standard batteries.

My 12v battery, which I got at O'Reilly Auto Parts is 6 years old and still tests strong but I don't live in hot Florida.

How many miles on your 2010?

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Rob P!

Rob P! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you royrose. I can deal with the fact that the battery is an AGM type and that it is located in the rear of the vehicle. I've changed out the battery before and replaced it with a yellow top optima battery which has been great. What gets me is the fact that they make such a big deal saying that this is not a standard 12 volt and some special "12 volt hybrid battery" that needs to be installed. Why cause such confusion over something so simple. I had received a coupon that quoted lifetime guarantee with the exception of hybrid batteries. The $2000 to $4000 hybrid battery is quite different than a $200 12 volt battery and was only looking to replace the 12v. The coupon also stated that this excludes "hybrid batteries" which led me to believe that hybrids themselves would be honored. It did not state that hybrid vehicles would not be included in this deal. Live and learn I guess. To answer your question I currently have over 166,000 miles on the vehicle and going strong.

5. Rob P!

Rob P! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bisco. The coupon I received does state that a lifetime warranty is on a 12 volt battery as I stated before. This coincides with the current vehicle being owned by the original owner and is registered with the VIN of the vehicle. It is a special that Toyota advertises from time to time and is to be honored by all Toyota dealerships around the country should your battery ever need to be replaced. You can either have the dealership or yourself install the part. That is, if your vehicle qualifies for the exchange. Apparently hybrids do not.

bisco likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Too many "apparentlys" here.
    Ask specific questions and get specific answers.
    The first place gave you a BS answer.
    The 12 V battery in a hybrid is no different than any other automotive 12 V battery.

BUT.....pretty much nobody really gives a "lifetime replacement" warranty on 12 V batteries.
    If you have some documentation that says they DO, then hold them to it.
    But realize that you probably will pay close to twice as much because you are buying the warranty too.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, even though toyota has a slew of hybrid offerings, their 12v battery specials have never included hybrid vehicle 12v's. whatareyougonnado, sue?

they don't care. i get the email regularly: 12v replacement battery $89. all toyota vehicles.

call em up and get, 'no sir, that's only for 'normal' vehicles. :confused:

8. Rob P!

Rob P! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Sam S 2.
    The only difference with the battery is that the Prius has an AGM battery (as stated by RoyRose) which is a different construction type than your wet cell battery. The two makes of AGM's that I know of are Optima and Odyssey. No worries, this dealership already has a two out of five customer satisfaction rating in both sales as well as service. If they feel they don't need repeat business in service or sales, Not my monkey, not my circus! In other words if that's how they wish to run their business, it's their concern, not mine. I'm sure I'm not the only customer they've recently lost.

9. Rob P!

Rob P! New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bisco. The coupon I received was for $199 with the lifetime battery warranty. In other words for as long as you own that vehicle with that VIN number your battery would get a replacement from any Toyota dealer. The coupon says not available for all models, but does say "does not include hybrid batteries" not hybrid vehicles. Spoke with their service manager who wanted to SELL me a battery way above what I could get an AGM battery for. Still no lifetime warranty. Gee thanks for the "great offer" but I'll pass. It's all good, love the product dislike the so called service reps.

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What dealership is that? Want to make sure I don't go there...

Grit likes this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Almost every major brand of batteries has an AGM line.
    And I think that is a better investment that a "standard" wet cell even if the original was not one.