1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt lithium replacement battery by Ohmmu

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Mark in NY, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interestingly my 2018 Prime battery has been tagged a couple of times during oil changes as being marginal but even through the very sub freezing spell it worked fine as always. I wonder if the charging system charges as high of a voltage as other cars do. I would expect 14.8V on the charge circuit. Anyone have any experience with that? Of course when they "check your battery" they really just look at the static voltage, which should be above 12V for a fully charged battery.

2. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2015 with the original stock battery. I've kept it going for 2 (extra) years with regular charging using a "anti-sulphation charger". I don't KNOW if it works, but it's fine for charging/topping/maintaining. I wanted to see if the claims were valid. I'd say....sorta....maybe, but not remarkable. If you have a dying battery, this would be life support, not resurrection. For the price, it did fine.

Just installed an Ohmmu battery in my 2015. There ARE issues with installation. The terminals have been move to the BACK, but are on the correct sides. This creates issues with the battery cables. I have written to customer support about this. The video online there is kind of deceptive as it uses the OLD battery case which has the correct terminal orientation making the battery a pretty simple drop in. There is a notification on the page, but it's easy to overlook the importance of this.

[*ATTENTION:* Our current Toyota Prius Gen 1-3 battery *has a reverse terminal orientation from OEM (positive on the front right, negative on the front left). *
    Depending on the battery position used for the install, this may require the positive and negative cables to cross over one another, and/or cable management clip(s)
    to be removed in order for the battery cables to have the proper reach to connect to their corresponding terminals.]

At first I thought they had delivered the wrong model. It's easy to overlook it or think it won't be a big deal. It is.

This WAS NOT a simple drop in. IThe back orientation of the terminals caused several problems:

1. The positive cable is VERY SHORT and VERY CONSTRAINED in how far it can be moved. You HAVE to remove the cable clips. They will not budge/slide at all in the clips.
    2. The battery cable clips are a *real pain* to take out. There are 3 and they _ALL have different modes of removal. _(Thank you Toyota designers....NOT). You could simply cut them but I was reluctant to do that not knowing how it would work out.
    If you've never done this before it is frustrating and anxiety producing to deal with. Until ALL of them are removed it doesn't seem like it will reach. It.....barely.....does.
    3. The positive terminal plastic cap can no longer be used because it interferes with putting the gray shelf cap piece back in.

Other than that, it seems good.
    NOTE-Price recently dropped to $265, putting it in the same range of top end SLA replacement. I was unwilling to go the $380 previously asked.

3. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I spoke too soon. Last week I went out in the morning and the screen started freaking out and I got the "low battery" warning. So off to Walmart. 160.00 later and Blue Spark is like new. I was surprised how the only setting that seemed to be lost was the clock. You'd think that if they could save everything else they could save the clock settings as well.