1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt power outlet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by buzzard bill, Mar 27, 2008.

1. buzzard bill

buzzard bill New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was wondering why Prius put the second 12 volt power outlet is inside the main console? I would think a better place would be in the rear seating area.

Bill

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that they put it inside the center console next to the Aux Input for the Audio system so that it could be used to charge an iPod or other MP3 player. That is what I use it for.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's handy for powering anything you might want to tuck into the console to keep out of sight when you're not in the car.:D

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that there is no aux input in there on the '04 (? or '05?) but they have the 12v outlet. I, too, think it's a bit of an odd spot. I've got my cell phone charger plugged in there with the cord sticking out from the edge of the lid and it works fine, but it would have been more useful to have it at the back of that center console so the kids could use it for their Nintendo DSs, the DVD system we occasionally put in back there, or I could plug the cell charger in there.

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe they knew in 2004 that they were going to add the Aux input, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. :D

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't conducive to having a cigarette lighter in the centre box so discourages smoking and driving.
    Also can be used to charge a blue tooth phone or any phone. My work car has the outlet in the back of the centre box.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not a bad spot for the plug since you can stow away your electronics in there and all the dangling cables etc. Trouble is, it'd be helpful if there was a slot in the console to run wires out of. As it is, you have to close the console lid on top of your cables!!!

What kind of 'sake' were these guys drinkin'?

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am able to run the cable for my iPod out just to the left or right of the latch without damage. When I use the iPod, I put it in the cupholder and when I'm not using it, I stow it away in the console.