1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt tire inflators

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Midlife martyr, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one pictured has been pretty bullet-proof. I plug it into AC sporadically, for maybe 8 hours. I'm a little unsure how much and how often it needs top up; the instructions are vague. I've had it for maybe a decade and it doesn't seem to have deteriorated.

Never needed it for our car, well except as a memory saver, I have an obd cord for it, can supply voltage while disconnecting batteries. I'm mainly AAA for our daughter these days, lol.

2. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, my chiropractor is my back's life. Think you misunderstood, I have a portable 12V battery-powered inflator/invertor/compressor thingie. The back doesn't really like the required bending down to do it. But I did four tires today, and made sure I had a kneeling pad and used both knees, not just on one knee.

I would never, ever willingly pump the tires up with the manual pump.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still in the 'able bodied adult' stage of life. I use a bicycle pump most weeks to top off actual bike tires, and less often to top off tires on the entire household automobile fleet. And I use it because it is simply quicker and less hassle than my 12V inflator. No "light" at the end of any tunnel is yet appearing, I don't yet have any feeling of being in any tunnel.

OTOH, dad is now at that age. He won't use the 12V pump either, now he just uses a cell phone.
    My 60-something spouse can do it.

Yes, I have one in the car. It is more compact to easily stow in the under-floor compartment, thus is slower. But is was quite handy when it was needed. And when Les Schwab wouldn't stay open late for me.

I bring up the hand pump because it is a viable option for many people, more so than most people initially expect.

#23 fuzzy1, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    CR94 likes this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New rationalizations for laziness appear every day!

Mendel, try a taller pump --- easier on the back, and faster, too.

Yes, pump in car. Small but slow one always, and larger, faster one on long trips.

5. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No one is right or wrong here. We are all in different life stages. My wife is disabled and hand pumping at the mall will not be happening.