1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Wireless Remote with DPDT Relay - A great mod accessory !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Vegemann, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Vegemann

Vegemann New Member

After struggling with the idea of where to put a standard DPDT switch to work with the “Speed Wire Interrupt†mod for my Prius, I found myself searching the Internet for a “wireless†device that would instead do the trick. After a long and arduous search, and ultimately not finding such a device, I ended up thinking about how to design one. I in turn found an electronics company who agreed to help design such a product. After production, the test marketing phase proved so successful that my business partner and I decided to form a new company called “Clicker Star.â€

Our flagship device, the “RC-12VR†is a 12VDC wireless remote that includes an on-board DPDT relay. Aside from the wireless receiver and relay, the RC-12VR comes packaged with two key fobs, (each containing an on/off button and indicator light) and an assortment of wire connectors.

During the testing phase of the RC-12VR, I easily installed two of the remotes in my own Prius where one was used in the “Speed Wire Interrupt†(SWI) mod. The second one was used to remotely control a sub-woofer (Kenwood KSC-SW1) that I had previously installed. The “SWI†used the RC-12VR’s DPDT relay, while the sub-woofer was controlled by having the remote send power to the sub for on/off operation.

A great place to mount a key fob is on the back of the steering wheel. I mounted both of mine using some Velcro on the left and right side where my fingers can easily reach. This keeps it out of sight and easily accessible.

Also as a bonus, my business partner and I agreed that offering a $10 discount to other Prius owners would be a nice gesture since owning a Prius myself helped to create the RC-12VR initially. On the main page of the website, click on the multi-colored star at the bottom and then enter the word “prius†(no quotes) for the username and password. There you’ll find suggested uses for the RC-12VR in the Prius as well as installation tips, and a button linking to the discount page. Click here for the Clicker Star website.

Enjoy…

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice device, and congrats on putting such a thing together. Now there's someone who took matters into their own hands! This certainly seems like an elegant solution to many situations. Now, if only it had been out when I was doing my mods... :lol:

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For continuity of this thread, my original, unedited post is included in the quote box below. I have been respectfully asked by the OP to modify my comments to reflect the latest information that I have.

Because I find this sort of product quite useful and have incorporated similar items into some of my mods, I have done some more research on these. What the OP says below about the incorporated DPDT relay appears to be correct. This unit does have some features that are difficult if not impossible to find *included* in other similar products. Because the other products mentioned can be quite easily reconfigured to perform the tasks of the product in question, I'm still dubious about the price. But it is not my place to determine price - the "market" will do that. If this product is worth the cost to anybody considering some of the mods it would work for - then the price is right.

My original comments likely came off sounding harsh. My concern was for the other members of PC, however. I always appreciate it when others give me some info that I didn't see at fist for myself.

This is a subject near to my heart, as I too have sold (ending soon!) a product that many found WAY over priced. To some, my product was worth the money - to others it was not. In the end, I chalked it up to a hobby and walked away without losing or making much money. My benefit came in meeting new folks, learning more about business, and continuing my LED hobby. OOps... but this isn't about me, is it? ... ah but it still is!

While I freely offer up the mods I have done for others to follow, I am not fond of having my web pages used to sell product for others' profit - as has been done in this case - without my knowledge and without credit. The installation links from the Prius purchase page point to my web pages. The time and effort that went into those particular pages (from multiple sources) was meant to freely help others perform these mods, not to sell product. I likely would have agreed to the links had I been asked, but it was a bit startling to find them in place as I performed my research today.

** Ah, I see that the links to my pages have been removed with no further comment (to my private email or to this post). Why do I still have that bad taste in my mouth?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This post is a bit marginal...I've moved it to a bit more appropriate forum. I don't expect the PC market for this device justifies requiring a commercial sales fee, but Darell seems to be correct that this is not some new or unique device and it's only fair to point out to others that this is something readily available for a much lower price for much less money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REMOTE-CONTROL-12-VOLT...5QQcmdZViewItem

5. Vegemann

Vegemann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 17 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]376644[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your comments, but I'm surprised that you hadn't thoroughly researched those others products first before comparing them to the one my company sells. Certainly I am aware of other 12 volt wireless remotes on the market, (my research was thorough) but you failed to notice one major difference. Clicker Star's RC-12VR has an on-board DPDT relay which allows for normally open or closed switching of external circuits. All of those other 12 volt remotes that you will find for $20 or so do not offer that feature. They may list the word "Relay" in their description, but its use is very misleading. Question: Can you use that remote alone from e-bay to work with the "Speed Wire Disable" mod for the Prius? The answer is no, you can't. Can you use it with other electronics to make it happen? Of course you can. My product offers the user a very simple and complete way to enhance mods such as the speed wire disable and others without the hassle of trying to figure out how to make those other wireless remotes work. I hope this clears up any confusion and thanks again for your comments.

6. Vegemann

Vegemann New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jan 17 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]376637[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much for those kind words of appreciation !!! I'm glad to help those looking for an easier way to implement a lot of the mods available to the Prius. Thanks again...