1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volts in personal light panel?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lenjack, Nov 15, 2009.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a switched 12 volt source in the personal light panel? If so, what pin or connector or harness lead would it be? I know there is a 5 volt source. Prius 3 without nav and without homelink mirror.

2. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is the 12 volt power supply to the blue LED, it works only when you turn the front lights on - I used it to power a radar detector installed above the mirror - when I get some time I will take a picture with the connections. I couldn't find any other always on 12 volt power source in that panel. (I have the package 2)

3. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do I find it? If it's only "hot" when the lights are on, I might use it , but I'd prefer an ignition switched source.

4. lecounte

lecounte New Member

Model:
    IV
    If you have a EC mirror you can get switched 12 volt IG from it. Without garage door opener you have 5 pins, pin 4 is 12 volt and pin 1 is ground. With garage door opener you have 10 pins (in US) pin 1 is 12 volt IG and pin 2 is ground. I've seen someone that makes a whip that is 12" long that plugs into a radar detector with 12 volt and ground that you push into the connector on the mirror. Please check with volt meter before pluging your wires in.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have the EC mirror. I'm installing one, and I'm looking in the panel for switched 12v FOR the mirror, so I don't have go go to the fuses. I also don't want to mess witt the A pillar for fear of bricking the airbag.

6. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is "hot" only when the lights are on in my case (I have pkgII, with pkgIII there may be more options) - again, I will post a picture hopefully tomorrow night. The way I found it is that I backtracked the circuit from the LED towards the connector on the board - I took the board out of the panel. Also, I used a voltmeter to make sure I tap into the right spot.

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I have a meter, but I practically need 3 hands to keep the ground firmly connected, hold the meter and probe the panel.

8. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PriusChat Forums - obidubi's Album: 12v by the mirror (Gen3, pkg2) - Picture

Here are some pictures. By the way, you need to be careful when you pull the rear part of the panel, in my case it broke the rear side glue material that holds the metal support stuck to the roof of the car. I had to glue it back with super-glue when I first did this.:cool:

For the soldering side of the job, I removed the plastic cover. Also I unplugged the connector by depressing the flap in the back of the connector. I highly recommend doing this work out of the car since otherwise you run the risk of short-circuit and potentially damaging electronics behind that connector.
    Also I recommend double-checking the connector pins against documentation, my pkg2 may be wired a bit differently than your pkg3.

9. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many thanks. May I assume red is swtched (by the headlight switch) 12 volts and white is ground?

10. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    red is +, not sure though if red or white is switched, it does make sense that red is the switched one.

11. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still can't get mine to stick.:mad:

12. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Imagine my face when this happened to me after following the repair manual to the letter, kind of like this: "OMG I just broke my two days old Prius !" :confused::confused::mad::mad::eek:".My first thought was that I made a big dent or a hole in the roof - It will rain in the car!

When I took the pictures it came apart again, but this time I was ready with the superglue nearby.

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll have to give that a shot. It seemed to rip the foam tape. So, I was thinking of taking all of it out and replacing it, but I can't get the left over off the inside of the roof panel. bummer.