1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

120K Service - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We could really use some good advice!

Sorry this is so long, but we figure it's best just to lay out the facts to avoid back-and-forth questions and answers. :)

About a year and a half ago, we bought our 2010 Prius (solar) from a private party. It had over 113K miles on it.

We had a dealership do a full inspection on it, and it checked out fine. We got the maintenance records.

The car has a "platinum" extended warranty that is supposed to cover almost everything (probably except routine maintenance).

That extended warranty expires at 125K; we are now just over 120K.

Because we hit 120K, it's time for maintenance! We've been researching by reading this site, calling dealerships, and calling reputable maintenance shops.

Everybody has a different recommendation! All we want is to keep the car safe, running well, and keep the extended warranty valid.

Any extended warranty work apparently has to be performed at a dealership.

We have a long laundry list of possible extended warranty issues, but hopefully nothing major. The only pressing issue is that the aerodynamic plastic wind scoops that connect under the front bumper all need to be replaced. They have worn from the car being so low to the ground... not sure if the extended warranty will cover those or if there has been any sort of recall/class action for those (chime in if you know!).

Here's what we've done ourselves or had done since buying the car:
    1. Oil changed with Mobile-1 0W-20 (with new filter) at 116K (which was almost 13 months ago)
    2. 4-Wheel alignment
    3. Tires rotated
    4. Replaced tire air with nitrogen
    5. Repainted rear bumper
    6. Replaced 12V battery

Here's what we are planning to do ourselves:
    1. Check floormats
    2. Replace cabin air filter
    3. Replace engine air filter

Here's what's normally done at 120K, but has already been done:
    1. Spark plugs replaced at 90K by previous owner (with "R&R" plugs)
    2. Front brake pads replaced (and rotors turned) at 100K by previous owner

Here's what we are definitely getting done:
    1. Oil change (with new oil filter, of course)

Here's what we are seeing being recommended:
    1. Replace brake fluid
    2. Inverter coolant flush
    3. Engine coolant flush
    4. Replace transaxle fluid
    5. Replace differential fluid
    6. Replace transmission fluid
    7. Replace spark plugs
    8. Inspect everything under the sun

We've been quoted prices ranging from $315-$800.

Are items 2-3 the same thing, or different?
    Are items 4-6 the same thing or different?
    Any reason to change the spark plugs now, since they were replaced at 90K?

It sounds like we need an oil change and get everything inspected. A dealership said they include a free "multi-point" inspection with a $50 oil change. But they said the 120K service includes a much more comprehensive inspection that includes things like an "inner chamber" coolant check as well as an "outer chamber" check, and a bunch of other inspections that are not included in a regular inspection. (We have no idea what he was talking about regarding the "chambers".) They said they could do that inspection for $125 (they got that price by taking the price of their 120K service and removing non-inspection items). We are concerned about a dealership performing an oil change because it's hard to know what oil they will use.

So what really needs to be done? How do you get a proper inspection without getting ripped off? Our goals are to keep the car safe, running well, and keep the extended warranty valid (it probably requires scheduled maintenance). We're not rich, so we don't want to perform unnecessary services.

#1 Preeeus, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    misstenacity likes this.
  2. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter and engine have separate cooling systems, so #2 and #3 are different. The transaxle is a transmission and differential combined, so it would be more precise to say you have #4, but not #5 and #6.

The spark plugs you have should be good until ~200K miles. If you want to feel good about owning a Toyota, search the internet for "F150 spark plug problem". I've yet to see a complaint about spark plugs here on PriusChat.

Not sure about the inspections, and I don't know what chambers they're talking about either. I'm suspicious of any inspections other than the annual state safety inspection, but then again I do try to pay close attention to the car myself (check fluids, look for leaks, check the rubber parts such as CV boots for damage, etc). Note also that since you've had the car aligned recently, that should have included a thorough check of the suspension for any loose bits so you can be pretty confident the wheels aren't about to fly off.

Here's a fun experiment for somebody to try: Let the air out of the spare tire, let the dealer do a thorough inspection of the car, and see if they find/fix the pressure in the spare.

Items 1-4 are reasonable services, particularly at 120k. If you're looking to save, the factory schedule doesn't spec an inverter coolant change until 150k miles, and brake fluid is more an issue with age than mileage (it doesn't wear out, but it does absorb water over time).

Rebound and Preeeus like this.
  3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    like what tpenny67 has stated.

But here's my take on Prius maintenance. Most if not all of the maintenance that is required on the Prius, you can do this yourself. Here is the list of maintenance that is needed on the Prius.

Oil change (10k miles)
    Engine air filter (10-15k miles)
    Cabin air filter (5-10k miles)
    Transaxle fluid drain and refill (30k miles)
    Brake flush (3 years or 60k miles)
    Rear sliding pins lubed (60k miles)
    Spark plugs (120k miles)
    Engine and inverter Coolant drain and refill (120k miles)

Not sure if I missed anything. Also if you want to learn how to do these maintenance, check out my YouTube videos. The only thing we haven't filmed is the coolant drain and refill, we will film that sometime soon. Good luck!

Rebound and Preeeus like this.
  4. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all the info and the clarifications on the cooling systems and the transaxle.

tpenny67 likes this.
  5. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! We'll check out your videos. On our old cheap vehicles, we do a little maintenance ourselves. But our Prius was a big investment for us, and we get concerned about messing something up or not seeing something that is indicative of an issue.

It's interesting that you say that the transaxle should be drained and refilled every 30K miles. I think the manual says just to inspect it. Looking at the service records, I don't think it's ever been drained and refilled. Can you explain more?

Same thing for the brake flush every 60K. It doesn't look like the the manual mentions it.

We just watched your video on brake sliding pins. No one had yet to recommend lubing those! We can't even find it in the maintenance manual. We wonder why.

Also, why do recommend just lubing the rear brake sliding pins?

You mention the engine and inverter coolant drain every 120K miles. That's two separate things, right? Trying to find that in the manual too, but not seeing it.

It's so confusing to figure out what to do. We don't have a garage, so we're probably going to pay someone to do the work at their shop (or dealership). You are a million times more skilled and knowledgeable than we are, so hopefully we can learn from you. It's just so confusing because the maintenance manual doesn't seem to indicate a need for most of those services.

#5 Preeeus, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1,2,3,4,5,6 are all reasonable if they've never been done. However, the coolants only need to drained and replaced, not flushed, which is mainly an excuse to charge more.
    Your Items 4, 5, and 6 are all the same thing. Anybody who gives separate estimates for them doesn't know what they're doing, or is trying to hoodwink you.
    There's no reason to replace spark plugs after an unusually short interval if the car is running well.
    Are those mysterious "chambers" in the car or in the back of the dealership?

#6 CR94, Jan 15, 2016
    N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been a number of class action suits in which people have made out very well. but i don't have a 2010, so i'm not familiar with them. you can probably find them on google.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just follow the guide??

Capture.JPG

There are a few anomalies in the above. The front differential oil for example, that's a head scratcher for me, not sure it exists.

For Item "4" I would insist they lift off the caliper, inspect/clean/relube the pads and shims, pull the pins out, clean and relube.

Also look into a transaxle fluid change, not inspection.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2016
    tpenny67 likes this.
  9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It definitely exists, but it's the very same batch of oil as the transmission oil ("fluid"), as on most other front-drive vehicles. There have been other front-drive Toyotas that used separate differential oil, I believe.

10. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A little confused... are you saying it exists and is just part of the transaxle? In other words, when you inspect or change the transaxle fluid, you are automatically changing the front differential oil without doing anything extra?

11. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is no front differential on the Prius, its called a Transaxle.

Preeeus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a typo then, them saying to check both the front differential and the transaxle.

13. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The auto manufacturers put a lot of effort into making cars that require as little maintenance as possible, and the general trend has been less factory recommended maintenance at longer mileage intervals. Some people think this is being pushed too far, and that a car will last longer if you exceed the factory maintenance recommendations.

Many manufacturers, not just Toyota, are now saying the transaxle fluid will last the life of the vehicle. My opinion is that this is generally true for cars that are going to die of old age and rust around 150k miles, which seems to be the current design life of many modern cars. It not just advances in the fluids either. For example, my F150 has a transmission cooler with a thermostat that generally keeps the fluid right around 150 degrees year round (and I can monitor that temperature on my ScanGauge, nifty!).

For people who put a lot of miles on their vehicles, or keep them longer than a decade, it's easy to get to 200k miles and beyond. At this point it seems perfectly valid to worry about "lifetime" parts such as transmission fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filters, etc. A 30K interval seems excessive to me, but 100k or so seems reasonable if you expect to greatly exceed 150k total miles.

Ford has been claiming "lifetime" transmission fluid for about a decade now, however, if you look at the service schedule for a Ford, they do have a fluid change scheduled for 150k miles. The same debate about fluid change frequency is raging all over the Ford forums as well.

N.J.PRIUS and Preeeus like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota says to regularly "inspect" the transaxle fluid. No footnote, no further explanation. It's a somewhat strange instruction: if they'd said to check the level maybe, that'd be a bit more specific. What I do:

1. Look the transaxle over for any leakage, whenever I'm doing an oil change. I've got the undercover completely off, easy to do.

2. Change the transaxle fluid every so often. The time and distance is up to you, I'd suggest an early change is beneficial, then you can stretch it more. To DIY costs about $40 for the supplies, takes an hour or two (a little more time just to get the whole car raised and level), and isn't any more difficult than an oil change. Just a little different.

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there is a differential, inside the same case as the rest of the "transaxle." If there were no differential, you'd have much difficulty turning curves. There is no SEPARATE front differential.

Preeeus likes this.
  16. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the common people wouldn't think it would be inside the transaxle, might as well put "Check transaxle fluid" since the differential is a gear inside the transaxle.

Preeeus likes this.
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. Listing those as if they were separate fluids to be checked or replaced was dumb.

The combo word "transaxle" (from "transmission"+"axle") for a combination transmission+final drive gearing+differential dates from several decades ago when people were accustomed to rear-drive cars in which a component combining the final drive and differential (among other things) was loosely called the axle. "Transdiff" would be more accurate for most front-drive cars, but never caught on, and I must admit it's harder to pronounce.

18. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You planning a video on transaxle service? Seems fluid change is the way to go...

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a video by @NutzAboutBolts , pinned in the third gen maintenance section. It's pretty straightforward: raise and level car, drain, fill till it starts coming out, use Toyota ATF WS.

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NutzAboutBolts has listed everything you should do, and they have videos that explain how to do each item. Even if you hire a mechanic, watching the videos and knowing what needs to be done will let you know if you're dealing with an honest mechanic or not.

For example: Most automatic transmission cars have torque converters, and replacing the transmission fluid means flushing it, which can be quite expensive. But on Prius, there is no torque converter or transmission cooler, so you just drain and refill the oil, much like an ordinary oil change. Don't pay more than $100 for this service, and don't trust a mechanic who says it needs to be flushed -- especially if you tell them one time that it's no necessary. Although there are two separate coolant changes for engine and inverter, neither one is a flush.
    And the engine, inverter coolant and transaxle fluids are all Toyota-specific fluids. Don't use third party fluids.
    The spark plugs are supposed to be changed very 120,000 miles, so you're covered for a long time.

DadofHedgehog and Preeeus like this.