1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

120v to 240v EVSE Modification

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Redpoint5, Feb 8, 2015.

1. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume this measurement was taken recently, if so it means (to me) that your battery can no longer hold 4.4 kWh and the usable (23-85%) is reduced as well to about 2.5-2.6 kWh (and EV range accordingly).
    I remember members reported here in the past ~2.25-3.3 kWh from wall with L1 and new battery.
    I believe L1 charging losses are 15-17% typically and L2 10-11% with the PiP charger (they said charger efficiency was improved with the Prime) and the reduction in kWh input measured from a known starting point is a good indication for the battery and EV range degradation, it has a very good correlation in my case.

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The total battery capacity is 4.4 kWh. The range used (not usable range) is about 20% to 85% or 2.9 kWh. It takes about 3.3 kWh for a full charge since the charging voltage is greater than the discharge voltage. After 4 years of operation I still show about 13 EV full charge miles available in the months I'm not using the A/C. This has been pretty much the same for all 4 years.

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That is fantastic, most of us do see battery and EV range degradation in time and use (I think 2.5-3.5% per year is typical reported).
    What was your kill-a-watt kWh reading during the first year for the same start SOC as reported above?

From the manual:
    The hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity (the ability to hold a charge) reduces with time and use in the same way as other rechargeable batteries.
    Also, even though the EV driving range decreases when the hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity reduces, vehicle performance does not significantly become worse.

4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My kWh charging amount has also dropped about 10% over 4 years. The estimated EV miles for a full charge hasn't dropped as much probably due to having changed my EV/HV switching habits. Living on a hill I more often switch to HV on the way home instead of draining the usable kWh as much. Last summer I made several 30 mile round trips a day for about 6 weeks and the estimate was up to 16.5 miles.

giora likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like it should work, in principle. But when I removed the back cover on mine, it looks like it was going to take some exploratory surgery that I haven't had time for yet. Very different layout with the Toyota EVSE having a big circuit board hiding everything. Has anyone looked under there yet?