1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v/5v power location

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by RJS5586, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RJS5586

RJS5586 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I searched the forum and could not find an answer to this.
    I just drove home my first Prius about an hour ago. It's a 2017 Prius Two.
    I have a 12v outlet on the center console close to the arm rest, one in the back of the center console for the back seat, and I have 2 USB plugs inside the center console. Have I found all of the power supplies?

The reason I ask is I am trying to plug in my Garmin GPS which sits on the dash using a friction mount. I am not fond of the cord having to drape back to the arm rest. Was hoping there is some hidden 12v outlet under the dash I just am missing. Also, the USB plugs inside the center console does not make much sense to me. The console does not close with the cord hanging out of it, so I have to place my phone inside the console to charge it?

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the outlet in the center console is to be used with Bluetooth and the phone left in the console. This complies with most state's laws regarding cell phone use in the car.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plug my GPS into the console 12 V port. The top closes fine with the cord coming out. I do the same thing on my 2008 Corolla.

Welcome to PriusChat!
    I hope you enjoy your new car.

RCO likes this.
  4. RJS5586

RJS5586 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did manage to get the GPS cable tucked up under the center console between the plastic and the carpet. It keeps it out of the way of the passenger.
    The phone charging inside the center console should have nothing to do with state requirements. The higher model Prius comes with a charging mat on the console leaving the phone in sight.
    I switched my heavy usb cables with 2 that were a bit thinner and managed to get them fed through the hinge side of the storage compartment without pinching them. This will work. Still seems strange to put 5v usb ports inside the storage compartment. I don't know about anyone else, but I would surely forget my phone with it sitting out of sight.

Other than the mentioned issues, I love this car. Drove it around a bit this afternoon and it feels pretty comfortable to drive.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  5. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone with a Prius 16 have USB power ports in the center console? I dont remember seeing any in mine. By the way, you are correct, there is a 12v outlet right in front of the center console and one in the back for the rear seats.

RCO likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The USB ports in the Prius are not power ports. The USB port is for audio connection. I think it only provides the standard 100mA power so you can use thumb drives. The 12 volt ports are for supplying power.

RCO likes this.
  7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Those are all the power outlets for general use, yes. The DLC3 (OBD II) connector has 12 volts (with a dedicated 7.5 ampere fuse), but I’d advise against using this for anything other than diagnostic equipment.
    If you find one, please tell us. More seriously, if you need 12-volt power—unswitched (hot battery) or switched by the ACC or IG relays—there are several places to find it, but you’ll have to do some wiring work, which I advise only if you have the necessary skill, tools, time, and access to the Repair Manual and Electrical Wiring Diagram, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

For loads of only an ampere or two, for example, it’s not difficult to use a Toyota repair wire to add a new terminal connected to one of the unused fuse positions in the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly. (Cutting into wire harnesses with T-taps is déclassé.) This may not be suitable for devices with higher current demands, like a two-way radio, and it’s important to consider the upstream fuse ratings and existing electrical loads. There are several ground points (bolts) in the instrument panel where a ring terminal can be added.
    Since @RJS5586 is in Tampa, I expect his or her car has the Southeast Toyota Distributors dealer-installed Dual USB Power Port option, their part number 00016-00222. The installation instructions (on techinfo.toyota.com) show that it goes into a hole drilled into the console box and is connected by T-taps on the power and ground wires for the No. 1 Power Outlet Socket Assembly.
    This keeps the device out of sight of thieves and wouldn’t affect its Bluetooth connection to the car, but I think the location may also have been selected for ease of installation: the flat inside face of the console box is easier to drill than the curvilinear surfaces of the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly (the infamous “stormtrooper’s bedpan” with cup holders), and minor errors in workmanship are less likely to be noticed there.
    That’s correct for the USB port in the No. 1 Stereo Jack Adapter Assembly (under the plastic cover at the rear of the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly) but not for dealer-installed USB ports, which have only power and ground connections.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and RJS5586 like this.
  8. RJS5586

RJS5586 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the answer! That is what I needed to know. And, yes you are correct, I have 2 USB power plugs inside the center console as well as the audio USB port next to the 12V plug. Already have my 16GB thumb drive in there.
    Once I switched to the thinner usb cables and fed them out from under the hings side of the center console, I was pretty much satisfied. Also being able to tuck away the cable for the GPS helped. So all is good.
    I don't feel much need to try and wire anything into this car. Not from lack of experience, but more the fact that there are too many gadgets on this car and I don't want to tinker with it.
    I get why they install the USB into the softer plastic. Just wish it would have not been inside the console. Fortunately, I do not have the "stormtrooper bedpan" mine is black. I do have the white plastic on the steering wheel and where the shifter is, but that is the only white in the car.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Nope, none inside my centre console, just the one on the front.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.