1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v accessory power outlet (center arm console) constant power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fwbrc51, Aug 14, 2012.

1. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    prius 12v outlets.jpg I saw that Coastaltech sells a simple jumper for the front power outlet that, based on thier installation instructions, while looking the PDF print from the factory service manual, basically just bypasses the power outlet relay (P5). At the bottom part of their instruction sheet, they state that modifiying the console power outlet would require wires to be cut and not just a simple jumper wire. Refering to Factory Service Manual (PDF version) printed on document page 310, PDF page 311, is the Power Outlet schematic for my US Gen II Prius. After the ACC servicing fuse, from 1N pin3, the current flow gets split to two paths from J36, one goes to the P5 relay coil, the other goes to two items before it reaches the P4 console power outlet. The two odd items the current services before reaching the P4 console power outlet is something called a seperate amplifier and a built-in amplifier. The same two items are in the circuit after the P4 console power outlet, just before tying into the relay's inductor ground and the P3 front dash power outlet's ground.

My big question is....what are these "Seperate Amplifier" and "Built-In Amplier"?
    I need to know what they do and if they can be left out of the circuit when I re-wire P4 to be constantly hot.

I have never encountered such items in all my time digging around in vehicles, but all have been less technically gadget inclusive compared to this Prius.
    I am an Electronic Technician by trade, so I am aware what I need to do to safely make this work, but this 'amplifier' issue is something i'm honestly unfamiliar with and don't understand it's purpose.

2. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anyone who has the answer?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The CoastalTech kit is inexpensive so I would just get one.

My guess is that the "built-in amp" is the audio amp in the Stereo and the "separate amp" is the audio amp that comes with the JBL audio system.

JeffD

4. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The coastaltech kit is for the dash outlet, not the center console. My posting is all in support of finding a way to constant power the center console outlet, with respect to what these two amps are. I am highly in doubt that these 'amps' are for my base model stereo system. FYI, my car does not have the JBL system. Thanks for the reply though, even though I think you are off track.

I will dig a little deeper in the schematics of this car, edit what i post if i find out what these are, and give you credit if i do find you to be correct.

5. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what these amps are for and I don't quite understand why an amp pair is in the circuit on the return side of the 12v power socket, as if it's dependant on a load to be plugged into the socket in order for it to work.