1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Auxiliary Battery Leaked Acid!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ComputerGuy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to share my story here since I could not find anybody else talking about the situation I had.

Today, I noticed a sloshing liquid sound coming from the trunk. It kinda sounded like a 2 liter soda bottle of on it's side. I was suspicious of the 12V battery since my headlights had been dim before starting the car, then bright after the car started. My car has 124,000 miles so warranty wasn't an option.

I removed the spare tire cover and was horrified to see MY AUXILIARY BATTERY WAS SITTING IN 2 INCHES OF ACID!!!

If you are about to try this yourself, and have never dealt with battery acid, i'll share what i know about battery acid. You dont have to treat it like it's a bomb. battery acid will not hurt your skin, but it WILL hurt your eyes VERY badly. wear goggles, the nerdier, the better! if it gets on your cloths, you will have holes in your cloths after they get washed. battery acid will eat through metal if you give it a few months, but wont hurt plastic. If you have any cuts or sores, you might want to wear disposable plastic or rubber gloves. The main thing is to keep it out of your eyes.

I removed the brake controller module, and the hybrid battery vent and was able to remove the battery with no problems. I used most of a roll of paper towels soaking up the acid. I used a plastic pan to pile the acid soaked towels in. the cars battery compartment was painted metal, with no drain, and some kind of silicone-like sealant that didn't seem to mind the acid. i believe i caught mine before any permanent damage was done, thank god. I let it dry for an hour after soaking the acid up, then sprinkled a pinch of baking soda powder in the hole to counteract any remaining acid. then i picked up a new battery from my local Toyota dealer for $166+tax. The reason this battery costs more is because it is sealed. Most cars that have battery's under the hood are not sealed, and about half this price. Sealed means it should never leak and i shouldn't be typing this right now! UPS batteries are also sealed explaining why they cost so much. I also learned these batteries only have a 1 yr warranty. most non-sealed batteries have 3-5 year warranties. If I hadn't been in such a rush to get this fixed, i might have considered the Optima battery instead. I tried to link to the Optima battery but priuschat wont let me since i have less than 5 posts.

I dropped my new battery in, reinstalled my vent, brake controller, and spare tire cover, and everything seems to be working. My GPS retained it's memory points, but lost some of it's view settings. the gas mileage history/graph screen was showing all zeros. my radio lost all presets and settings. the dash clock was showing 12:00. the gas gauge was flashing 1 bar for 1-2 minutes then registered my correct amount of 8 bars. the garage door button retained it's memory.

The guys at the Toyota service dept had never seen this issue.

Attached Files:

• acid.JPG
      acid.JPG
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Holy Moly! Just for clarification: this was the original battery?

We are seeing more and more OEM battery fails/threads from the second generation series like yours.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was this a AGM original battery? Hal

4. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Id be willing to bet that that wasn't battery acid. A trend I noticed in higher mileage 2nd gen Prius before I left Toyota was water leaking into the rear area. It starts collecting in the 12v well then once that becomes full it will slosh over into the spare tire area. If not drained at that point it will then go underneath the hv battery and end up in the rear floor as happened to our 05. The water is entering thru cracks in the body seam glue where the roof and side Panel meets. If you open your hatch and look in the very top corners at the ends of the black mouldings on the roof id bet you will find some cracks there. Our 05 was also leaking in around the l/r tail light however the body seam glue cracks are very common. I started documenting all the cars that I saw this issue on and sent all the info to Toyota. To my knowledge nothing ever became of it. Id check in that area and see if you have the cracks, if so, seal them up ASAP.

5. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, this was the OEM battery that came with the car.

Attached Files:

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First I have seen on this forum.

Yes I agree I doubt that's battery acid. You probably have a cabin leak. If it leaked that much I doubt it would hold a charge. Did you clean off the battery and see where it leaked?
    I would go back in the trunk and pull the spare tire out and I bet its wet under there too.

1 person likes this.
  7. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you could be right. i wish i had tested the liquid with a Ph tester. i can't smell so it might have been water. i just checked my seams, they look very water tight. there are two seams near the top, and 2 middle ways down. there is a large gap around the tail light but it looks that way by design. do you have any pictures of the cracks you found?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going to say you could probably smell it in the cabin if you were leaking or maybe it just started recently.

But get out the hose and drown the hatch area seams and lights then check it out and see if its leaking. You need to find that because if you don't the car will get moldy and you'll get sick.
    Heard of leaking hatch area many times before but not a leaking AGM.

Let us know. Thanks.

9. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i didn't clean the old battery, but i did inspect it and found no cracks or bulging or any other visible abnormalities. i just checked under my spare tire, and it is damp, but no standing water. the hole on the driver side of the car, opposite of the battery's hole, wasn't damp at all.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should not be damp should be bone dry in there. You have a cabin leak.

There's lots and lots of posts about hatch leaks please search it as it may help you attack the issue. I do not have personal experience with this issue on a Prius but its pretty common on cars especially around the light gaskets.

And I seem to remember one chatter who had a leak around the wheel well edge that allowed water jnto that battery area. I'm taking on the outside of the car above the rear tire. It was missing something in that area iirc.

Maybe start another post titling a hatch area leak which will draw more focused attention to the issue.Good luck!

11. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. shippj

shippj New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it finally rained, i checked my battery compartment, and i have water again. so i feel stupid for thinking that was acid. thanks to everybody for setting me straight!

today, i tore the car apart so far that i'm not sure i remember how to get it back together, then it got dark so i have to continue in the morning. i have very good eyesight and can't see any cracks along the hatch seams that others here have found leaking. i have ran water over the back of the car while watching from inside and confirmed water is dripping into the battery compartment. i can see where the water is dripping out of, but can't figure out where the water enters. i will be posting lots of details after i get to the bottom of it.

-ComputerGuy

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the update ComputerGuy (shippj). I hope you can find the leak.

Meanwhile, as Cohnen already mentioned. While rain water is not harmful to your skin, battery acid is! Yes it's dilute enough so that brief contact, particularly to tougher parts like the finger tips, wont hurt (though it's still best to wash it off fairly promptly). Contact to more sensitive patches of skin, like the wrists for example, will result in some painful blistering if it's left there without washing off. Always thoroughly rinse off any skin that comes in contact with battery acid, using lots of fresh water.

1 person likes this.
  14. shippj

shippj New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found my leak! It was in a place I hadn't seen anybody else post a picture of. The crack was so small it was invisible. It had to be only a few molecules wide (haha). I narrowed it down to an area of 1 square inch by process of elimination with a water hose, and still couldn't see the crack! i have perfect eyesight. i painted over it with touchup paint (3 coats) and hosed it down, and it will not leak anymore. In the picture, it looks like the crack is easily visible, but it's really not. the dark line you see is just a fold of factory silicon or something. the crack is next to it. after i took that pic, i scraped off the silicon and also the bracket that holds the strip down and scrapped lots of factory silicon off because i wanted to see the actual crack but i never did. I can tell you it doesn't leak a drop now, and that's the only place i painted. before painting, water was coming through at at least 1 drop per second. If I hadn't seen this for my own eyes, I would never believe that an invisible crack could leak so much water. It's like there was a space-time wormhole outside that was transporting water to the inside!

Attached Files:

R-P, HDuncan, Merkey and 5 others like this.
  15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One can easily taste battery acid or residue, have fresh water on hand and rinse mouth out.

HDuncan likes this.
  16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shipj; Really nice posts, many people can benefit from your experience. TY :cheer2:

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your not suggesting he should have tasted it are you? :eek:

1 person likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good job ship. What a hassle.

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes! He mentioned PH paper, from the time I was a kid it was not unusual to test a battery, AA, AAA, D cell by touching the tongue to a positive terminal. Would I remove H2SO4 and have a glass, of course NOT. But he already said the acid will not hurt your skin, which I knew was wrong. However had he dipped his finger in what he thought was acid he would have quickly found out that it was something far less then acid, like H20. Should one try this finger test, have a glass of water and soap on hand just in case it is potent, you can also dilute what is on your finger first and if there is any acid content, you will know it. :)

20. shippj

shippj New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    actually i have seen shade tree mechanics around here do the tongue test with battery acid. i wouldn't do that, but i have got it on my skin before, and didn't rinse it off for over an hour, and it didn't hurt me a bit, besides eating holes in my clothes. But i'm not going to argue with the MSDS. better safe than sorry.