1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SpeedDemon, Mar 6, 2022.

1. SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2014 Prius w/ 86000 miles on it and went on a 12 day vacation to return to my car that does not turn on. The headlights don't turn on either or any of the dome lights. I'm assuming it's a dead 12v

Questions I have:
    1. I have changed many batteries over the years. I watched a few Youtube videos and they seem straight forward. Are there any things I need to do after I replace the battery on a Prius specifically like resetting some hybrid system switch so it can drive? Obviously I know the clock and radio might need to be reset.
    2. Is going to a major auto chain and picking up a 12v battery OK or should I wait until the Toyota dealer opens up tomorrow to pick up a battery?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Trip meters will reset to zero, if that matters to you. Radio presets and clock lose settings too. Auto up windows “may” need recalibrating; there’s an easy DIY for that. The first start up it may give warning lights: shut down and restart and it’ll be ok. And the first few start ups it may do an odd rev up, recalibrating something.

Look into memory savers: they supply power during the swap, avoid these symptoms. I use a jump pack and memory saver cable (plugs into OBD port), but it’s no big deal. I do complete disconnect if doing brake work, for example. ​

bisco likes this.
  3. SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Mendel for the quick response!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any proper battery is fine. i went with oem simply because i got good service out of the original, it has a good warranty, and prices were similar.
    study the vent tube routing before removing it.

5. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm still on my original battery -- 6+ years old now -- and from all that I have read here, I would go with the OEM battery because AIUI the warranty is longer than any others.