1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery advice: recharge, replace, etc?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fpfpfpfpfp, Mar 24, 2021.

1. fpfpfpfpfp

fpfpfpfpfp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The battery was tested at a shop and they said it was still good (according to their device) just recommended that i drive it/power it more often so, not buying a battery for the time being.

(but, according to a link posted earlier in this thread, 'truestart' is [also] oem. fyi)

thx tho!

2. fpfpfpfpfp

fpfpfpfpfp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    understood. thx.
    juggling a lot of other time sensitive things, as well... but, will try to look into this asap. any brands/models you recommend? acceptable price range to spend? and, new or used?

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @fpfpfpfpfp I have a cheap Midtronics tester that doesn't work well. The shops and auto parts stores have much better ones is what I meant. You should be good. I would not drive more just get a charger/maintainer as mentioned and recharge the battery occasionally.

moto g(7) power ?

fpfpfpfpfp likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ctek is excellent, but most anything on amazon from $25-50. will do the job. you want settings for agm batterry 4 amps or less.

fpfpfpfpfp and Air_Boss like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you have the v Five ATP or an upgraded or aftermarket camera/head unit? The 2012 v Five has no parking lines.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahh, must be the ATP. My apologies for the mixup.

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did the same thing 3 years ago..... but I didn't need a battery. It was the invertor.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, decided to search what types of adapters are available to connect that U1 battery up. I could not find a direct U1 flag to pencil terminal. I did find U1 flag to top post, then you can use the SAE to pencil post (JIS). Pretty sure your uncle could help. For me as long as it doesn’t involve soldering I could as well.

Just for future reference....

fpfpfpfpfp likes this.
  9. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you got an AGM battery that is close to the same specifications, it will work the same as the "Toyota" battery that is made by Johnson Controls. AGM is just a type of sealed lead acid battery that the Prius charging system is designed for. The car won't know the difference. If you don't care about spending more money, then get an OEM battery.

A digital battery analyzer can be had for around $20, and will save you a lot of guesswork and running around with all your car battery needs.