1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Already Dead on a 2.5 year old Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Charlottacarproblems, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Charlottacarproblems

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2014 Prius C Two that I purchased new. It is my daily driver and only sits for a day, maybe two without being driven. About two weeks ago I went to start it up and all of the dash icon lights came on and the car did not start. I tried starting again with same outcome, so with the dash lights on, I tried turning the headlights on and the car immediately died completely (including dash lights), which leads me to believe it is the 12V battery. This is now occurring more frequently, mostly in the morning when I go to work and occasionally in the afternoon after my eight hour work shift.

This car is a 2014, with only 35,000 miles. Is this common to see the 12V battery die so fast? Many of the posters here asking about the 12V have many more years and miles on their car than I do. I'm a little peaved because the dealership said it unusual but was not covered by my extended warranty, and the cost to replace would be $360 - $420. I've tried looking into purchasing a Yellowtop Optima battery on my own but for the life of me I can not find the model number for 2014 Prius C - I only find the older Prius models.

Any opinions or suggestions on this issue (or the model # for the Optima)? Could this be something else besides the 12V?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This should be cover under regular warranty, not extended warranty. 3yr or 36k miles

3. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It's pretty easy to use a voltmeter to check the voltage across the 12V battery terminals under the rear seat or between the under-hood jumper point and ground. If you measure less than around 13 to 14 volts with the car turned off then it's time to replace the 12V battery.

4. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So sorry to hear....I have a 2014 C as well.....it has 32,000 miles now....I will be watching for this if it happens to me.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    the oem battery should have a pretty good warranty, at least pro rated, look into it.
    if not, there are a few options for replacement batteries, and you'll save a lot by diy.
    have you ever had to jump the car before, or is it possible you left a light on, or a door/hatch ajar?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second checking with a digital volt meter, with the car off:

12.6 or better: good shape
    12.5~12.6: so-so
    12.4 or less: try charging first, and/or start shopping

For a more definitive test: dealership service department or battery retailer (the latter likely for free) can check it's Cold Cranking Amps (a more definitive test of the battery's health), give you a verdict. You can do the same test yourself with something like a Solar BA5.

Bottom line: if you're asking here, you need to read up, get a few tools. Or not.

I believe the dealership is right, that the original 12 volt battery is not covered, under the Toyota or extended warranty. For good reason: it's way to easy for owners to run the battery down, leaving on headlights, map lights, and so on.

$360~$420 installed is a little steep. Check with their parts department first, and also consider Optima, Exide and so on, they should all be around $200, at the most. The OEM replacement through dealership, Yuasa I believe, does have a warranty IIRC.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    New vehicle batteries and tires are typically covered under separate warranties from their respective manufacturers; usually pro-rated.

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    just google it..comes right up 2014 prius c optima battery

2014 prius c optima battery - Google Search

bisco likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure on batteries? I can imagine tires being pro rated

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    replacement yuasa comes with 2 year full, then pro rated for 6 more years. not sure what the deal was in 2013 on a new car.

11. Chris @PNW

Chris @PNW New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    At 4.5 years & 18,000 miles, my 2012 Prius c could not be started. The first Geico roadside assistance guy gave up on jumping my car and left me stranded (no kidding, he left in a nasty huff after trying to pull off the cover under the back seat). Another guy came out, and we still couldn't get it started; but he had a tow truck and took me to my dealer. My dealer replaced the 12V battery for $276 (plus $125 labor). 9 months later (and only 1,000 extra miles), my car again won't start (it's obviously the battery). I've now moved clear across the country, so I'm not able to return to the dealer who replaced my 12V battery. It's most unpleasant when the battery fails unexpectedly (my problems were not the result of leaving lights on), because a jump won't work. I can't believe I've had this twice in a year, I now see the great risk in having a hybrid car when they're still not well understood.

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the problem is YOU don't drive the car enough.. if you put 1000 miles on the car in 9 months that's about 110 miles a month or 28 miles a week.... the 12 volt battery is always discharging because the computers,radio,security system and key fob are always using some juice.. a hybrid isn't for people who don't drive them.. you are better off with a 4 cly car that gets 35 mpg...by now you have damaged the high voltage battery as well since it never get to charge fully.

#12 Beachbummm, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is an ASSumption that probably is not true. The HV battery is very happy sitting with only a partial charge for long periods of time.

The point about the 12 V having a shorter life if left unattended for a long time IS true though.

AND......if a jump start won't get it going, then there is something ELSE wrong.
    Outside chance that the 12 V battery is shorted such that it drags down the donor battery too.......but that is rare and the odds of it happening with two batteries in a row are overwhelming.

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    how can depleting the HV battery constantly on short trip and not allowing it to recharge be good for it... if the battery is sitting on a shelf with no draw for months I agree, it will not be damaged but common sense says running it down and not recharging it is BAD.
    using the OP's numbers he is putting about 100 miles a MONTH on this car...25 ish miles a week or 3.3 miles a day ... no where near enough to charge either battery .. as far as jumping it, who knows what he's doing right or wrong, we were not there

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know HOW exactly, I just know that advice from Toyota and various battery makers AND practical experience of owners reported here says that it is NOT bad for batteries using that kind of chemistry. In fact I believe that they recommend storing the car with the HV battery about half charged.

Different rules apply than what you know about "old" battery technology.

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Half is not empty, however. Empty batteries sitting for weeks is never a good thing, no matter what the technology.

If the 12v battery is dead, the Hybrid battery charges it up. If the trip is short to the point that it takes all of the charge from the hybrid to recharge the 12v, it's just going to sit at empty.... and then the 12v battery will discharge leaving nothing left to start the car.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely not true.
    "no matter what the technology" indicates that you don't understand the situation at all.

Many/most/all devices that come with Lithium batteries have them real close to empty when they ship to sit around waiting to be sold. Sometimes that can be a LONG time.

18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Close to empty is still not empty... completely discharged is bad for every single battery technology. Most Li-batts ship around 10% charged at minimum.

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just STOP the pointless bickering please.

This part of the "discussion" started out talking about leaving the battery only partially charged.
    YOU are the only one talking about running it DEAD.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok back to the 12V battery.

It is rather short. (Shortest I've seen was 4 years but that car doesn't get driven daily and usually for short trips).