1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery alternate to OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sgort2, May 27, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, but there are always people there when we drive by :eek:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't purchased gas since april, but electrons are 24 cents here. so with gas around $2.75, it's pretty much a wash.

Patrick Wong and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trust me, if i can figure out how to do it, anyone can :cool:

NoThrowningRocks and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I searched high and low and could not locate a better deal than OEM at Toyota. (San Diego, CA). Amazon had an AC Delco with sketchy reviews for $170ish and 1 or 3 years warranty, Pep Boys didn't carry anything except Optima Yellow for $250. Walked out Toyota's door with a Yuasa w/ 7 yrs warranty for $200+tax+core charge. Will try to post pics later. @Britprius @Patrick Wong

bisco likes this.
  5. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    List price is $270. Maybe they gave me a discount due its manufacture date of Jan '19? Measuring in at 12.19 volts (on this chilly day during Dec '19). That's not too concerning right?

Uploaded pics (need to be logged in)
    https://priuschat.com/media/albums/123.2425/

If you're interested in serial numbers PM me.

Thanks @Britprius @Patrick Wong for your fine posts - I've learned a lot. I really liked the idea DIY'ing the mobility battery - thanks Brit! But wasn't sure how to modify the posts, and the time and effort and prices were prohibitive compared to OEM. (I even saw people using $40 tractor batteries!).

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have purchased a Bosch battery from Pep Boys a few years ago when my old one died. I paid $145 out the door and they installed it. So far I have had no 12V issues at all. The regular price at Pep Boys is $180, I believe and they do run specials regularly. I got mine on one of those specials. I've only had it for about 2 years, but I am not sure what possibly can go wrong with an AGM 12V battery in this car. It is one of the lightest duty car battery applications one can think of. Just don't leave the lights on and make sure you don't have a parasitic current draw anywhere in the system and that 12V battery should last for a good long time. If you like Toyota and feel better about paying for it, great! Get that one. But I am not at all convinced that it's worth it in this case. Just walking into a Toyota dealership makes me feel screwed over. I have a big aversion to dealer parts counters of late. Especially Toyota ones local to me. They are really useless.

runxctry likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he said pep boys didnt have any except the $250. optima. how does your purchase in the past help?(n)

runxctry and VFerdman like this.
  8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I assumed Pep Boys were out of it, but it looks like they no longer carry it or Bosch no longer makes it. Too bad. Seemed like a good deal.

Now I am beginning to recall someone using wheel chair battery with great success in their Prius. Cheaper, larger capacity, but does require some adaptation of the terminals. I would look into that before having to go to a Toyota dealership (I have that much bad taste in my mouth from visiting them a few times). But at the end of the day, if Toyota is the best, easiest and fairly price-competitive, then sure, go with Toyota.

runxctry and bisco like this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put a battery charger on the 12V battery overnight; 12.2V is quite low. A new fully charged AGM battery should measure 13V.

runxctry likes this.
  10. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Someone mentioned that the price of lead is going up in the US, perhaps due to the trade war. Possible that the Japan-manufactured battery is unaffected.

11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get a discount at Toyota parts counters, just have to be nice to the guy behind the register -- and make sure to cover all disfiguring scars. :p

runxctry likes this.
  12. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New Battery
    Measured about 12.7V after charging up with a newly-purchased Battery Tender Jr - thanks @Patrick Wong for the recommendation. Took about 30 minutes to charge, 15 minutes in "bulk charge" mode, and 15 minutes in the "above 80%" mode. Observed a sawtooth charge pattern with my voltmeter. "DELTRAN BATTERY CHARGER SOFTWARE: Algorithms & Graphs" was interesting.

Priuschat Post 73400 helped enter the engineering screen which measured
    ACC mode: 12.6V (expected 12.4-12.8)
    Engine on: 12.1V (expected: >12.0)
    ACC mode next day with engine off: 11.9V. Wonder if I have a short somewhere!

Old battery: 10.3V when removed. Date code I13. I'll ask about any possible prorated payments within the 7-year warranty.

Other thoughts:
    • Refurbishing/reusing: It seems my new battery is on the low end of some of these measurements. I read about reconditioning batteries. Got to wonder if my new battery is a reconditioned or desulfated one. I do hope that they refurbish old batteries, somehow, for the environments' sake. Do Battery Minders/desulfators really work? I tried to charge up my old battery for fun. It was charged within a few hours, with my 750mA charger. I suspect only 1-2 Ah in there out of 45Ah for the new one! That battery was so dead, I couldn't leave my dome lights on for 10 minutes without needing to jump-start (thanks Costco USB jump-starter!) I stupidly tried to jump start a regular engine once, could that have killed it?
    • Engineering screen: I was able to enter the engineering screen by turning on the parking lamps rather than the headlights. I had replaced the HID headlamps some time back and don't want to cycle them too much. Need to replace fog lamp covers.

#52 runxctry, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019