1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery and Reduced MPG after new tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kobear18, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bettergold: When someone drives slower than the posted speed limit, you are obstructing the flow of traffic.
    It's fine if no one else if effected while you go slower, but when other drivers are involved, you
    are not supposed to do that. Pull over and let them pass. People are heading to work, appointments,
    or just trying to get home.

kobear18: My understanding is that the hybrid battery slowly charges up the 12v. So if you only drive
    short distances, the 12v battery doesn't get a full charge. I have no idea just how long, but I for 3 hours
    at a time 4-6 times a week almost every week and I've haven't had any problems. The battery is only
    2.5 years old, Toyota battery.

From what I've read on Prius Chat, the life of the hybrid battery varies greatly. I believe the driving habits
    determine its life. And whether or not they use a battery maintainer/regenerator on it.

Grit likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the reduced MPG after new tires isn't too surprising.
    It's pretty common for reported MPG drops after new tires are installed and for a period as they break in.

Plus I would speculate that your old Goodyear Assurance tires primary attribute was as low rolling resistance tires, designed to return fuel efficiency.
    I don't know much about the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrac tires, but their primary selling point seems to be to reduce road noise. So you may of just gone from a Fuel Economy based product to a tire that is featuring a different primary attribute.

Of course manufacturers today advance that their tires will do EVERYTHING.
    But usually from product to product there are different strengths and weaknesses.

Grit likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... only when they don't have safe reasonable opportunity to pass.

Multi-lane roads? Or long unobstructed passing zones without oncoming traffic? No problem.

And don't forget "reasonable or prudent" under "Basic Speed Law". Especially this time of year, there are plenty of multi-car pileups when traffic is obeying the posted speed limit, but violating "reasonable or prudent" for the particular visibility / weather / road conditions.

And mountain roads (off the Interstates) commonly have many places where the posted speed limit is not reduced for every corner where short visibility means a slower "reasonable or prudent".

4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry but the posted speed limit is the FASTEST you are supposed to go, so everyone should probably be driving slower than the posted speed limit.I never proposed to hold anyone up anyway, I just said I want to try to go 30 mph for an hour and out here in the sticks where I live there are some roads I can pretty much do that.
    And if people are in such a hurry that they need to speed...they should have just starter sooner. Their lack of planning doesn't mean I should pull over and let them pass so they can speed. (I only do that at night when one of those big pickups with 2 searchlights mounted at my eye level gets right on my bumper and blinds me!

Grit likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No matter what the speed limit is, you are not allowed to obstruct traffic.
    As I said, as long as there is no one else around... drive as slow as you want.
    I rarely speed, but if the limit is 45, I don't ride someones bumper trying to get them
    to go fast. Do the speed limit, or move. I draft them at 1.5 seconds behind them.

98% of the time I leave early no matter where I'm going. But I can't control anyone
    else and what they do.

Treat others the way you want them to treat you.

6. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So if I'm doing 55 on a 2 lane highway and someone wants to go faster I should pull over or I'm obstructing traffic? I don't think so.
    Sorry but I'm not obstructing traffic by going the speed limit.....unless I'm in the left lane on a multi lane highway. I don't drive that slowly anyway, that's just your assumption based on me saying I wanted to do 30 for an hour to see the mpg. And by the way, per our state law here, I could drive 15 mph below the posted limit legally....and I treat other people just fine, I don't know where you're coming from with all that.
    "do the speed limit or move"....absolutely wrong! Again, its the maximum limit, not the required speed limit.

Grit likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Calm down, relax. I am stating in general. If "someone".....
    Don't be so defensive.

NO, you are in the RIGHT hand lane. That is for slower traffic.
    On a single lane (each way), if anyone is driving too slow, then the "anyone" is obstructing traffic.
    Do on is allowed to impede the flow of traffic.

8. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm saying "too slow" can not be defined by staying within the minimum and maximum speed limits. Beyond that, it's just "someone's" opinion but it is not obstructing traffic. Obstructing speeding maybe. ...Done here, we've hijacked the thread anyway.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i'm just waiting for that new PC member to come post on threads that aren't his own and say "that's not relevant to the topic even if the information is correct."

RMB likes this.