1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Cable help ASAP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priuspubescent, Nov 16, 2020.

1. priuspubescent

priuspubescent New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Does anyone know where I can find a replacement cable? I've contacted Toyota and they told me it would be $4000 because its not sold separately. I'm not able to find a part number. Didn't know if anyone could help me out on this forum.

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Contact another dealer or two.
    I think the person you talked to the first time is a moron.

Then / or contact a few auto parts stores. Some of them can MAKE whatever size and length of cable you need.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I gotchu. I can probably help you out. Are you just looking for a pigtail section to splice into it to replace a few inches, including the plug?

I'm only looking for 2k....

Just kidding of course. Let me know what you need, I'm pretty sure I can hook you up.

Also, it looks like only the insulation is damaged or is that the actual plug that's broken? Are the majority of the internal copper strands ok? If they are, I'd just slap some liquid electrical tape over it and call it a day. What problem are you experiencing?

This is my test plug. I can send it your way and just grab another next time I go to salvage yard and see a gen 2.

Battery pos cable plug.JPG

#3 TMR-JWAP, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    priuspubescent and SFO like this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, what happened to that one??

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The photo shows damage at connector F15, at the fusible link block assembly.

According to the Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) and Wire Harness Repair Manual, the empty connector housing is available as a service part (90980-11775), but repair wires (pigtails with pre-crimped terminals) are not, probably because the wire is so large.

When repair parts are not available, Toyota’s answer would be to replace the entire harness, the No. 2 Floor Wire, part number 82162-47270, list price $739.39. (See catalog Figure 82-02, Wiring & Clamp; click View More Images, and then see illustration 823614E.)

I think @TMR-JWAP's kind offer, or to find a similar harness in a junkyard, are your best bets.

As @sam spade 2 kindly suggested, you might be able to have a cable made to replace the original, running from connector F15 to wire-to-wire connector BE1 on the left side of the car, but the terminals would need to be an exact fit: this is a high-current connection, and you don’t want anything to be loose. I’d also strongly recommend against bypassing the fusible link block and connecting directly to the battery.

The connector and terminal are probably Yazaki 9.5 (375) series, but I’m not sure where you’d buy the terminals in small quantities. My usual supplier, hi1000-ec.com, of Osaka, Japan, doesn’t seem to have them.

SFO likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your eyes seem to be better than mine.

I made an ASSumption based on his "battery cable" description, since I really couldn't tell which of the 3 or 4 cables in the picture he is really talking about.

As such, my answer about having one made at an auto parts store probably wouldn't work.
    BUT.....an honest to goodness independent auto repair shop probably could "fix" whatever is broken.
    Maybe not with "stock" parts but that doesn't seem to be an available option.........nor desirable, even.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think I would get a used connector and length of wire from a salvage or online source and use a Home Depot electrical wire "Splice Kit" and insulate it with heat shrink to connect it to the existing harness. D33A3B4D-3423-417A-83F1-58A624AA5E38.jpeg

#8 rjparker, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, the OP has been MIA since his initial post, so the ASAP portion is likely now N/A.

Guess I get to keep my test leads............sometimes you can't even give stuff away.......

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Home Depot splice kit with the screw clamps probably was designed for a setting with the vibration levels of a house more than those of a car.

What an auto electric shop would do is crimp it; the barrel would look a lot like the Home Depot thing but without the screws, and after they were done with it there would be nothing to work loose, ever.

For smaller wires, Toyota usually sells repair wires and crimp sleeves that can be crimped with hand tools. Elektroingenieur is probably right that this one isn't sold because of the larger wire gauge and crimp sleeve and tooling it would need. But what I would probably do is follow TMR-JWAP's lead and harvest the terminal and several inches of wire from a parts car, but then go to a friendly local auto electric shop to have them crimp it to the existing harness. They will have crimp sleeves big enough, and they will have the corresponding crimping tools and not be afraid to use them.

11. priuspubescent

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    omg yessss this would be a life saver!! thank you!! the vehicle doesnt start half the time..when i jimmy the cable with the messed up connector its starts. i figure if i switch out fhe cable it should fix the problem. the actual connector is broken i put electrical tape around it and it fixed the problem for awhile but it melted somehow so i think i just need a new connector all together.

12. priuspubescent

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    sorry i didnt get a notification for some reason bit yes i would ne happy to take your test lead off your hands!

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I tried to use the "Start a Conversation" feature to message you, but it keeps giving me an error. Can you try from your end? If it works, just send me your mailing info and I'll have it on its way!

SFO likes this.
  14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This forum is one of the worst for notifications. Even your replies here took many hours to show up in this thread. I think it is something the moderators or admin could fix if they wanted to.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He's under 5 posts, so until then, it requires moderator approval;).

Having only 1 frequently active moderator does have its drawbacks :cool:.

Maybe one day they'll increase the ranks(y).

SFO likes this.
  16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Clearly its a problem. Plus notifications fail to send as demonstrated over and over again. Most forums I have been active on would have two moderators per model or generation. Maybe ten for something like this.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. priuspubescent

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    i dont know how to do all that just yet..i tried but got am error also..but if you email me at gmail that should work. the first part is bryanbuss7.

mr_guy_mann likes this.
  18. priuspubescent

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Had to say it that way, 'cause apparently this site doesn't like emails?

SFO likes this.
  19. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there is heat damage to the actual connector then I would look really closely at the mating terminals on the little fuse block that is part of the positive battery clamp. Any burning or pitting of the terminals can end up damaging your replacement connector.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Plus make sure you splice far enough back such that there is clean copper.