1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery Change Interval

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sumedha, May 21, 2014.

1. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius is nearing it's 3 years and it still has the factory fitted Panasonic 12v battery. How do you know your battery is nearing its lifetime ? Or when is the good interval to replace 12v battery ?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If the battery has not been run down (leaving lights on etc) and been jumped often you probably have another year before you even need to test it. There are other threads on testing a gen III 12 volt, just do a search.

3. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check out this thread:

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery

EDIT: It looks like this method for accessing service mode (which shows the 12V battery voltage) only works with Gen II. You can use a multimeter to test the voltage at either the battery terminals or the jump points under the hood.

If you have a model with backup camera and navigation, you can use this procedure to access service mode. If not, keep looking around, as there is probably a way to do so if you don't have a camera and navigation (I just haven't bookmarked it yet). It also appears that this video shows the procedure as well.

4. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just for info., Pearl, a GII 2007 model, is still using the -original- 12V battery. I added water to it three years ago (because, like -ALL- lead acid batteries, it uses and looses water and needed it). The current owner also has a "Scangauge" as I do, and checked the 12V system voltage in the morning before going to "ready". It was at 12.5V. So it's a 7 year old battery that appears to still be just fine, thankyou. We may add water again this summer, unless the battery fails for some reason before that. This battery has never been drained down by leaving a light on or sitting with the car in ign. on listening to a radio, or sitting waiting with the car off and the headlamps still on because the drivers side door wasn't opened. ;)

I'll be adding water to Pearl S' battery either this year or next year. They usually need it after 3-4 years of use.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I monitor my 12v battery from a ScanGauge. Static voltage should be about 12.2 volts. If your battery can not maintain a static voltage at or slightly above 12 volts your battery is showing signs of age.

7. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Old thread but I thought it best to add to it instead of starting a new one.

We just had a blizzard, our 2010 Prius made it home in the snow no problem but had issues starting this morning. It started up, ran for a bit, then died. Couldn't get a peep out of it, check engine light was on. I hooked up a Jumppack under the hood and let it sit for a bit. finally the dash woke up and it gave me a "Parking error" and told me to put on the ebrake and start it, so I did. I let it run for a few cycles while I finished snowblowing. It cycled on and off a few times so I moved it out of the way of our other car and shut her down. Hoping it starts back up again.

It's a 2010 so I'm thinking the 12v battery is nearing the end of it's life, does that sound right to everyone? My research here indicates that when the 12v starts going it causes lots of funky issues. How much is the dealership going to ding me to replace it? (I'd rather not do it myself).

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, battery alone is around $200, so maybe about $250 with installation.

Our 12v on our 2011 was changed about 6 months ago, so your 2010 battery is certainly due for replacement.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2010 OEM battery is for sure due for replacement. With the new one, if you really want to stay on top of it, a few toys to consider acquiring:

1. Digital multi meter.
    2. Digital battery analyzer. (Solar BA5 for example)
    3. Smart charger. (4 amp range)
    4. Jump pack.

And, just read up a bit, on proactive strategies and so on.

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel, I'll look into that.

Dealership said it failed the test so they put in a new one, $262 total, which seems reasonable, I was expecting worse.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah they more-n-likely use a pro version battery analyzer. It'll tell the at-rest voltage, but also test the battery's Cold Cranking Amps, or Cranking Amps, and give a verdict, what course to take.

Even though the battery doesn't crank the engine in the Prius, the CCA assessment still gives insight, as to how much life the battery has left.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i understand correctly, the car started and then died. i believe the 12v is only for starting, and will run without the battery until you shut it down.
    that being said, if the battery is original, i would replace it anyway.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you want to really extend the life of the battery (or any car/lawn mower battery), get yourself one of these:
    FREE SHIPPING — BatteryMINDer Plus Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Or any of the BatteryMinder series. Other models include a more permanent ring terminal quick disconnect harness that you can install, or you can purchase one separately for about $6. There is another thread on this forum that shows a great location to connect the permanent harness to in the under hood fusebox. Connect this to the battery periodically and it not only charges the battery but also sends high frequency pulses through it which dissolves lead-sulfate crystals that naturally form back into the electrolyte, extending the life of a good battery and even reviving near-death batteries.

Plug it in once a week or so if you can only leave it on overnight, or once a month if you can leave it on for 48 hours or longer. Well worth it, especially on conventional vehicles that use the battery more heavily during starting. I've got a 7 year old battery in a Mazda 3 that was at about 11.9 volts. After being on the BatteryMinder for 4 days it is now holding 12.6 volts.

Sporin and StarCaller like this.
  15. NeilPeart

NeilPeart Hybrid & PiP Convert

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just wanted to chime and say that replacing the battery is one of the easier maintenance items to do oneself if you have 30-60 mins. I bought the Bosch Premium AGM battery for $150 last weekend and within 30 minutes it was in my 2010. I even showed my wife how to do it and she did it herself on her friend's 2012 Prius while I was "supervising."

Sporin likes this.
  16. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Normally I would have done it myself as well, but I'm still recovering from surgery and we've had a blizzard up here, it's really cold. :)

bisco likes this.
  17. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Sporin, was just reading your threads in the 'Tex. My compliments.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sporin likes this.
  18. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just did my 2010 with 103K for $190 from dealer. My install. At 3 yrs, you should have no worries if battery has never been run down.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heads up there's 30% off batteries at Pep Boys now, they have the Bosch and Yellowtop.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $130. for bosch and $160. for optima, nice.(y)