1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery Drained and A/C stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott McMac, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Scott McMac

Scott McMac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new around here so let me know if I should be doing something different as I post.

I've had a 2004 Prius for about one year. It has ~120K miles and has been a great car. We left a light on, and the 12V battery died. We jumped it and everything seems to work fine, except now the air conditioner isn't working.

I took it in to a shop, and the person I spoke with didn't have the greatest English. So, I might have missed something. However, I think he said he was going to clean out and recharge the A/C. After he did that it still wasn't working. He tried to get some guy to come and reset something with "the" computer that he thought would fix the A/C issue, but he couldn't come that day or the next. I decided I'd rather be hot than without the car for that long. So, I have it back. (He didn't charge for the work he did so far since he wasn't able to fix it).

My questions:

Does it make sense that it be a computer problem?

Is there a simple way to... power cycle... things and see if that fixes the problem?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yikes, a guy that doesn't know the prius charged your ac. That's trouble already. You can Google charge prius ac and read the nightmares

Maybe there's a fuse you can check for the ac?

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Scott, welcome.

Since the 12v battery was discharged it needs to recharged with a trickle charger. Just driving around is not going to recharge the battery.

How old is the 12v battery? What is it's voltage?

A trickle charger and a Digital Multimeter are inexpensive.

Let's eliminate the simple stuff before trying to diagnose the larger problem.