1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery - Gen3 JDM Import.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AsifK, Mar 18, 2021.

1. AsifK

AsifK New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am based in UK and using Gen 3(2014) JDM Imported Prius.

Recently, my prius 12V battery died. I was able to jumpstart by help of my kind neighbour.

He also offered me to take to battery shop and get a new one.

Battery shop recommended this battery and I bought this one yuasa ybx3055.

My old battery is yuasa hj-s34b20r

I have two questions please,
    Is my new battery fine for my prius.
    How can i connect the pipe as pipe head is too big for current hole.

Thank you.

2. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You are not using the proper battery for your safety (passenger and HV battery) in case of an accident. ybx3055 is regular Lead Acid flooded battery that will spill in case of any crack unlike GlassMatt AGM battery S34B20R. Yes it cost 3-4x more but it is more about the safety and also it has higher voltage rating.

The hole does not fit and it is specifically designed to warn you that you do not use the correct battery. You can fit it by drilling the hole on the battery to fit the pipe if you just want it to work without thinking too much of safety issues. It is only dangerous when you have a rear or side accident. It may slightly overcharged by the DCtoDC converter that programmed for AGM voltage profile not regular Acid battery but it will still start the car long enough. Probably 3 or 5 years if you are lucky. The AGM battery typically lasts 5-10 years if it is never been completely drained.